• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the best or the best

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Which would you prefer: the best thing you already have, or the best thing you've always wanted? Unfortunately, there's a catch. There's always a catch. If you choose the best thing you already have, you can never get the best thing you've always wanted. If you choose the best thing you've always wanted, you'll lose the best thing you already have.

This may range from material objects to family, friends, etc.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I have the view that it's better to have had than not had at all. In that case I would pick the thing that I've always wanted, which I'm not exactly sure what that'd be. But that's only assuming both things involved are material objects.

More realistically people/friendship is the best thing I've had, and that can't really be replaced/I don't know what I would want that could possibly make up for it.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
The best I have, because while I might want something better than I have, I only know that I really enjoy/favor what I have while the mystery of what I want is still unclear. I wouldn't take the chance of not knowing whether or not the thing I want is most beneficial.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I might say the best I have, although getting what Ive always wanted would be very tempting, Id lose something that was likely very important and irreplacable, what if you figured out later that that thing you wanted wasnt so great afterall.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
The best I've always had. I genuinely appreciate the things I have and I feel like I really wouldn't need any more to stay happy..
I mean.. I can't even state one best thing I have.. but the people I love are at the top of my list, and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. So there's my reasoning right there.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'd say the best I already have. If I had the best I always wanted there's always a chance that it'll be a disappointment, whereas if it's the best I already have then I know what to expect and can enjoy it for what I know it is.

Years
I can't think of anything I have that I couldn't loose so I think that pushes me toward getting the thing I want, whatever that is. I do also think it's better to have had something good than never having had something good.

Of course I'm not counting relationships because, although in English we "have" a relationship with someone I don't think of it in the same way. Same for experiences. They're just too tied up in other things. If I gave up a memory or experience or relationship I'd be giving up all the things associated with it, which is like pulling on a loose string and unraveling a whole sweater. The sweater being me.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Hm. I didn't answer my own thread. Strange.

The best thing I already have is my family, and I don't think anyone or anything can compare to that. Without my family, I'm nothing. I still rely on my mom to keep the house clean, I still rely on my dad to keep my head on straight, and I always rely on my sister to make me feel better. The best thing I ever wanted was fame and fortune, but I can reach that one day with my family supporting me.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I rather keep everything I got. Even tho I'm missing some stuffs that I don't have, I'll feel more happy with everything I got now. Family, girlfriend, my pets, games, computer, movies, and of course Pokemon items!

If I would give up any of those for anything else, I don't think it would be worth it.

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
The best thing I already have is my family, i'll never replace it <333 it is perfect! my life is good and i don't want to change anything about it. :)

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
Years
I would take the best I have always wanted. I have always seemed to be able to help all of my friends with their problems but their is one friend very close to me that I could never possibly help.

I would wish for her father to be healthy once more. Her friendship is one of the best things in my life. I would trade all of our past memories together just as long as she has a positive future with her family. Her family deserve that after all. Hopefully she wouldn't remember me so it would be a perfect trade.

Back