• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GFA's Triumphant(?) Return to Spriting

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Dun, dun, dun, dun!! Once again, after many moons (that is to say, three months) far from this place, I have returned! (I should be packing for college, but whatever! It's not like I leave in 4 days and haven't done any of it!) A while back I asked the ever-so-lovely mod, Logiedan to fuse all my prior sprite threads. But as of now I'm just tired of going back to the same old thread, so I thought I'd start something new.

Okay, there's my introduction out of the way, now on to what you came here for--the sprites!

PUBLIC SPRITES

Gen IV: Ash Sheet -- Full

picture.php

PRIVATE SPRITES

Gen V: Ash Sheet -- Walking

b_w_ash_overworld_by_baconboy914-d3a001d.gif

Gen V: Mewtwo Strikes Back Overworlds

eeefca5b5dce68ff8d6f2e6f071ce980-d5ztrq4.gif

Gen V: Kanto Anime Overworld Project AKA My Insane Attempt to Sprite Everyone From the 1st Season of the Anime

pokemon_5th_gen_kanto_anime_overworld_project_by_baconboy914-d4ajrbx.gif

Gen V: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur
_001____003_by_baconboy914-d4wapzz.gif

Gen V: Pikachu

pikachu_sprite_revamp_by_baconboy914-d4w7hvy.gif

Gen V: VS Ash

vs_ash_3_10_gif_by_baconboy914-d63cz0f.gif

Everything up until this point has been stuff that I've already posted here before. But now for somethings new!

Gen V: Froakie

froakie_by_baconboy914-d5qvrjo.gif

Gen V: Calem Overworld

xy_calem_by_baconboy914-d6jdctr.gif

More sprites coming your way sometime soon!

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I like these. Ash's face on the V.S. sprite, however, looks a bit too big.

Keizaal

but innocence is gone
Years
The Ash Vs sprite looks a little squished, but otherwise it's a good job. I really like your overworlds. I admit to liking your 5th Gen Ash more then your 4th Gen. 5th Gen OW's seem to be easier to work with.

I'm liking your minor "Project" of spriting ever 1st season character. You even included Brock's family and the Cerulean Sisters! :)

Keep up the work with the overworlds, you may get a game developer's attention!

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Thanks for the comments, guys! I really should revisit that VS Sprite, but as of now I personally feel that revising my Kanto Anime Project and working on my XY adaptations are more important.

Also, I do get developer attention. I've just never been approached by someone who I feel like I'd get along working with. Well, except once, but he was an idiot who turned out to not know what he was doing. So. *rants*

Anywaaaay so this isn't a completely sprite-less update, I present Serena!

Hqv2bNnVKx2wcdyITdtGi9u4c+tGEQIAOw==
xy_serena_by_baconboy914-d6jfti5.gif

Hqv2bNnVKx2wcdyITdtGi9u4c+tGEQIAOw==

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Glad you like it so much, Fenneking! And here's Alexa from X&Y. Her hair's totally nutty and I can't decide how to make it look better.

xy_alexa_by_baconboy914-d6jsrvs.gif

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Spriting is like meth. It just keeps drawing you back in. Only it doesn't mess up your mouth. Also Heisenberg keeps forcing me to do these things and ... *shot*

What I mean is, it's good to see you too! Uhm. Worked on Ash's VS Sprite a bit still needs some work. (I plan on re-doing his hand and the outline of his arm at this point.)

vs_ash_4_0x_gif_by_baconboy914-d6k6jcp.gif

Last edited:

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
One, possibly last revision. Any thoughts?

vs_ash_4_10_gif_by_baconboy914-d6kchvp.gif

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Changed Ash's palette some and fixed a bit of his hair. Not sure if I like what I did with his skin. Oh well. Thoughts? Please?

vs_ash_4_12_gif_by_baconboy914-d6kn8ro.gif

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
It looks to me that there's too much anti-aliasing along the lower edge of the skin of his upper arm. Looking at it from a distance, it makes the outline look thick. Actually, taking the shading off of the bottom of the upper arm between the shadow of the sleeve and the elbow might be better. That's just my two cents.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Question for you, if you don't mind. Was the anti-aliasing a problem when his skin tone was more orange-y?

blackmoonflower

Years
It wasn't quite as noticeable before. It might be due to the slightly higher contrast between colors that you have now.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
So I swear I'll get back to that Ash VS Sprite, but Pokemon Direct got me so pumped/distracted, because MegaBlastoise is the best thing ever and I just had to sprite him.

mega_blastoise_gif_by_baconboy914-d6l42o2.gif

I wanted to wait till I was done, but I need help. The shading on his shell just strikes me as off. Note that this is a WIP and that is is mostly just a heavy edit of the Blastoise sprite from B/W/B2/W2 with a few scratch parts. So yeah. (Will also probably do MegaCharizard, and if I do MegaCharizard I think I kind of have to do MegaVenusaur.)

blackmoonflower

Years
I would suggest perhaps shading each segment of the shell instead of just the whole thing as one unit to make it less flat. Somewhat like this sprite.

009.gif

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Ehh, maybe. The B/W/B2/W2 sprite is shaded as a whole and not segmented. So I don't think it really makes sense to do it that way...

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Well, the styles in BW included simple darkens and minute lighting, to match a more cartoon/anime-y look. I'm sure retextures can be brought to go more in-depth. Shading every individual piece gives a false sense of more detail when looked from afar.

Looking at the Ash sprite, I'm sure Ash's head is a little thinner than that. Even though it was horizontally inclined in the first anime, I'm sure the proportions were a bit thinner than the depiction of the VS Sprite you've made. Kudos to the sprite btw. The shading, colouring and outlining do seem nicely worked on.

The Pikachu sprite is a good example of giving a false sense of detail, by adding AAs and clever highlights.

The Bulbasaur sprite you've made certainly is amazing. I like the pose and the shading and everything. I have to say you've done a good job. However, I'd like it if the tip of Bulbasaur's bulb be protruding out more. That way it'll look more plant-like.

Excellent leaf shading of Ivysaur, but the bud-folding of Ivysaur is a little too thick, don't you think? I think it will be better if the folding was made thinner and excessively AA'd.

The OW Sprites are also neat. I especially like the special characters and Pokémon. I look forward to seeing more stuff over there!

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Well, the styles in BW included simple darkens and minute lighting, to match a more cartoon/anime-y look. I'm sure retextures can be brought to go more in-depth. Shading every individual piece gives a false sense of more detail when looked from afar.
Mmm, for sure. I don't want to re-texture though. I'm just trying to keep with the official Gen V style.

Looking at the Ash sprite, I'm sure Ash's head is a little thinner than that. Even though it was horizontally inclined in the first anime, I'm sure the proportions were a bit thinner than the depiction of the VS Sprite you've made. Kudos to the sprite btw. The shading, colouring and outlining do seem nicely worked on.
Yeah ... It wasn't in my reference, but it probably should be. Thanks though!~

The Pikachu sprite is a good example of giving a false sense of detail, by adding AAs and clever highlights.
You'll have to pardon me, but AAs?

The Bulbasaur sprite you've made certainly is amazing. I like the pose and the shading and everything. I have to say you've done a good job. However, I'd like it if the tip of Bulbasaur's bulb be protruding out more. That way it'll look more plant-like.

Excellent leaf shading of Ivysaur, but the bud-folding of Ivysaur is a little too thick, don't you think? I think it will be better if the folding was made thinner and excessively AA'd.
Glad you like 'em! Perhaps I'll go back to them after I finish what's already on my plate. They should be relatively easy to fix ...

The OW Sprites are also neat. I especially like the special characters and Pokémon. I look forward to seeing more stuff over there!
Thaaaaaaanks. They're what I consider to be my ... Specialty, perhaps? Thanks for the crit in general, it's great.

Also, @ Joey: Almost certainly not gonna happen.

Also, I finished MegaBlastoise. Although if anybody has crit I'll probably go back to it ASAP. Though if nobody does I'm going to go on to the other MegaKanto Starters.

EDIT: Derp, forgot the actual sprite. Look at me, being all smarticles and stuff.

mega_blastoise_gif_by_baconboy914-d6liels.gif

Years
I think you might need to make that cannon hole more circular as it seems more edgey and oval. And I very much agree with you that the shell should be shaded as a whole as I feel the example blackmoonflower showed was more of the older shading style.

Hoenn is right about Ash being a bit thick and stretched out. Thin him and I think it will look like an amazing VS. sprite.

Back