• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen i freakin hate the crystal cartridge

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
i've already changed the battery like not even a month ago, and it worked, but today i tried to boot it up, it won't. it shows the gameboy *ding* and the nintendo sign perfectly but won;t boot up the game. someone please help me. i dont know how to fix it. i really wanna play it

theoblivinator

1337 Poisons
Years
  • Age 32
  • Iowa
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
Did you solder the battery connections back on or did you use tape? If you soldered it back on, make sure your solder job didn't bridge any connections that weren't supposed to be there in the first place or make sure you aren't causing a short. If you used tape make sure it's electrical tape since it's an insulator and wont cause shorts. Since you said it worked I wonder if maybe the battery came loose again or a connection was made on the circuit board that shouldn't have been made and you shorted out either the ROM chip or the RAM chip. IC chips are sensitive to current and voltage ratings, if you applied way to much you could have fried them.

Also make sure that you're battery is in the correct polarity, the positive side should be up. Since you said it worked I'm sure you had it right.

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
Years
Same EXACT thing happened to ne a while back, the Crystal cartridge's original battery died out so i obviously had to change the battery, and within days BAM, it ran out again, i guess no new battery could be as reliable as the orignal one :( ...

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
well i havent touched it in a while. like i got past the first gym and then quit for a while and havent touched it since. it makes me mad. and i just bought a game boy color also. -_-

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Maybe you should download a GBA emulator (preferably Visual Boy Advance) and a Pokemon Crystal ROM.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
i already have it but i want the physical copy since crystal brought so much to the pokemon franchise and having it as my own would complete my pokemon colection. (atleast for now since i dont have everything) but i even opened it and found corrosion on the game card and rub it with vinegar and water solution with a q-tip and this morning it worked fine. except the title screen which glitched. but the opening scene worked fine and the file selection screen was good. but now when i got home it will not boot up at all. i freakin hate the old gameboy games and how theyre stupid batteries and cards suck butt. im gonna have to buy another one,.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
no cuz i havent had time to go into town to get a battery because my parents wont take me but can always take themselves

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Did you use the correct battery? I think the original games used CR2025 which you could use, I've used CR2032 to replace mine around 2009 and it still works fine for me.

Otherwise the only situation I could think of is what theoblivinator said with the soldering or not using electrical tape. I use tape when I replace batteries, and I find that if you don't restraighten the tabs with needlenose pliers to make them remain as flat as possible on the battery, it doesn't work quite as well.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
actually one of the things broke off in half. half of it is still there. but it still worked after i changed it, and for a while too. but the day i decided to play it, it wouldnt work. maybe the whole cartridge died or something.

Years
That makes no sense though. If the problem is about in the cartridge itself, then you must have damaged it in the process of battery changing. If not, it's battery, or the way it was put. There is a video on youtube showing how to replace a battery, and in one of those videos a guy broke that metal thing that's in contact iwht battery and he just taped the broken tip to the base, so it could be the problem.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
ive pretty much given up hope on so im not gonna do anything with it anymore. i just dont wanna put a lot of time into it when its not gonna do anything anyways so ya lol.

Years
Honestly at that point, your best bet is to get a new game, unfortunately. It's an inevitable issue with older games needing maintenance.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Speaking of Crystal. Is there anywhere to find a wild Meowth?

You can catch a Meowth (night) at the following routes: 5, 6, 7, 8, 11 (only in Crystal), 38 and 39.

Just like theoblivinator said and some others, you should NEVER solder the battery! This will mess up small parts in the chips aka ruin your game... (like accidental melt or burn important connectors). Therefore, those "smart" bs people on Youtube saying it's "easy" to replace a bttery yourself are wrong, you should have taken it to a gameshop/ gamestore... They know how to do it with the right tools and internal batteries (because most batteries sold online aren't even compatible eventhough they say it is...). I have been there, I replaced the battery by a shop owner and my games still work like a charm. Just saying. :)

Also, if you have found any corrosion/ damages to the connector chips underneath your game cartridge, you can almost be sure your game is ruined, this can't be fixed. I had this with my old Pokemon Silver game once, so you should buy a new game. Eventhough I'm studying computers and therefore, work with chips, I don't even dare to do this myself because you can mess up so easily trying to fix it yourself, just a tip. And in the future, don't fix them yourself but let it fix by someone who has experience with this :)

Back