• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Battle Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
In-depth Review, courtesy of Winter!
The Story
Personally, I like the aspect of losing your father. It makes you question about the war and see what it's like; maybe even find him. I'm assuming the central plot is to find your father, which ultimately ties in with Deoxys. I like that you didn't mention anything of an evil team, as that seemed too typical. However, the war between the regions begs the question if you can travel to both of the involved regions.

Gameplay
My first issue is that the game is also a 386 patch. I feel like that is entirely too many Pokémon to put into a game. It leads to almost never running into the same Pokémon in a different route. I feel like the biggest a Pokedex should be is, maybe, 180. This carries on in the idea of every legendary being included. I feel like that makes it less about the Pokémon being a legendary instead of just something to collect. I feel like games should follow the example set forth by Nintendo. One of the small legendaries(Mew, Jirachi, Celebi, etc.), a set of roaming legendaries/trio(Birds, beasts, and Lati@s) and one major legendary, maybe two. But, to include every single legendary kind of feels excessive. I do like the idea of sidequests, although these have to be interesting enough to not be deemed a waste of time to do. I have confidence that you can make your sidestories worthy. I do enjoy the idea of the puzzles, and I look forward to messing with them.

Screenshots
I enjoy the titlescreen, and the world map looks lovely—thankfully not too many water routes. The tiles look magnificent, but I do take issue with the starters. Like I said with the 386 and legendaries, it feels excessive.
The question you asked

New tiles are never necessary. They're nice to have, however, I find that it's best to use the tiles you're comfortable with. So, if you're most comfortable using FRLG tiles, stick to those. Don't sacrifice quality just for graphics.

All in all, I am definitely looking forward to playing this hack, Awipe. Best of luck! If you need any help, or just wanna mull ideas around, feel free to talk to me. :D

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 11, 2013
I'll be beta tester I'm 13 so have lots of time on my hands and this hack looks awesome so I would love to!

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
I like the tiles, it looks full of life. Very, very full of life.
I kinda hate the back sprite on the male hero, gives me weird shivers.
Well, the scripts are fine. But you need to fit every sentence in every
single text box you wrote on it. The title screen stands out at least.
Good luck on completing this! ^^

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
The title screen looks awsome:)
And the tiles looks awsome:)
I can't wait for the first beta comes out

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I wanna be a beta tester to your game, so if you wish to include me as a part of your rom feel free to message me!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Battle Brown? While the title is slightly different, I think it might be a good idea to change it since one might mistake this as the famous Red hack Pokemon Brown or as a remake, especially since this game is a Fire Red hack and thus one could make that mistake even more.

That aside due to this being a fire red hack, how will you manage EV training? I ask since the EV reducing berries technically didn't eist until Emerald and as such pomeg, kelpsy, ect will not reduce EVs in FR/LG. Having to breed to do any EV training on pokemon you already caught is a waste of time. However I have heard that the EV berries technically DO exist in FR even though they can't be obtained, but the coding is there. Regardless though you need to have a proper means of EV training to impliment for this due to the hard challenges will need exceptionally strong pokemon.

Also for berries in general you need to have berry patches or some means to grow berries in general as well. It would be nice if there was a way to impliment the Berry Crusher in a rom hack if at all possible since one can get free HP Ups or Proteins through that thing by making berry powder, and that can solve some issues with EVs to an extent without having to spend a fortune at a store (even if you can only use ten of each item on a given pokemon within the limited number of EVs a pokemon can pick up).

And since you will use some 4th gen pokemon, the phys/special split made by doesn'tknowhowtoplay from gen 4 on up is a must, especially since so many 3rd gen pokemon have typing that disagrees with their stats prior to the 4th gen. You might as well consider asking Mrdollsteak to use his rom base for Fire Red since it has pretty much all you need regarding moves and even abilities as well as Doesn'tknowhowtoplay's spec//phys split.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Battle Brown? While the title is slightly different, I think it might be a good idea to change it since one might mistake this as the famous Red hack Pokemon Brown or as a remake, especially since this game is a Fire Red hack and thus one could make that mistake even more.

That aside due to this being a fire red hack, how will you manage EV training? I ask since the EV reducing berries technically didn't eist until Emerald and as such pomeg, kelpsy, ect will not reduce EVs in FR/LG. Having to breed to do any EV training on pokemon you already caught is a waste of time. However I have heard that the EV berries technically DO exist in FR even though they can't be obtained, but the coding is there. Regardless though you need to have a proper means of EV training to impliment for this due to the hard challenges will need exceptionally strong pokemon.

Also for berries in general you need to have berry patches or some means to grow berries in general as well. It would be nice if there was a way to impliment the Berry Crusher in a rom hack if at all possible since one can get free HP Ups or Proteins through that thing by making berry powder, and that can solve some issues with EVs to an extent without having to spend a fortune at a store (even if you can only use ten of each item on a given pokemon within the limited number of EVs a pokemon can pick up).

And since you will use some 4th gen pokemon, the phys/special split made by doesn'tknowhowtoplay from gen 4 on up is a must, especially since so many 3rd gen pokemon have typing that disagrees with their stats prior to the 4th gen. You might as well consider asking Mrdollsteak to use his rom base for Fire Red since it has pretty much all you need regarding moves and even abilities as well as Doesn'tknowhowtoplay's spec//phys split.

Well with the EV training thing it's actually going to be super simple. I'm going to use JPANs hack engine to read EVs and with that code I believe I can make it so you can just give the player EVs and they dont have to grind for it.

I have used the hack engine for all the moves and phys/special split. I have currently hit a wall right now trying to make the trainers work out but i'm still going strong :P

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Well with the EV training thing it's actually going to be super simple. I'm going to use JPANs hack engine to read EVs and with that code I believe I can make it so you can just give the player EVs and they dont have to grind for it.

I have used the hack engine for all the moves and phys/special split. I have currently hit a wall right now trying to make the trainers work out but i'm still going strong :P

Excellent, I got nothing else to say then! Good luck I'll be awaiting this when it's further along most definately. I normally don't play fan games/rom hacks if they're so early alpha that they only have like a few minutes playtime so I can handle waiting a while for the later beta releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back