• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Casual Vacancy

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
So, JK Rowling's new book is out now.

Do you have it? Do you like it? What are your thoughts?

Let the thread of the year begin!

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
First off, Nick you're awesome for making this thread. XD

I preordered the Kindle version of the book. I was able to read about 30 pages or so before class this morning. I like what I read. Even at the very beginning her writing style from the potter books shows through. The vocabulary she issues is much more mature than the Potter series. The one thing that gets me though is that this book feels overtly British. The potter books didn't feel like that, but as I'm reading this book I'm constantly reminded she's a British author...just from words and phrases she uses in the characters dialogue.

I really havent had enough time with the book to fully comment on it, but I did want to put down my initial thoughts.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I got the sample a few minutes before I created this thread and read the first sentence and was like "Oh my god! You can totally tell she wrote this from the very first sentence!" I haven't gotten past that, because I'm trying to decide if I should buy it as an iBook or buy the actual book. The iBook would be a lot more convenient for me and I would probably read it a lot more, but I just can't deny loving the feeling of satisfaction when you turn the page on a physical book, so now I'm debating walking to Target to get it or buying it off iTunes. Decisions, decisions...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I did find it amusing that there was this big media surge about the book's first day of release and... not that many people actually bought it in shops. (Granted, it's storming up the pre-release charts, but it's certainly not the phenomenon that the Harry Potter series was.) I admire that Rowling has pretty much completely departed from her previous works, but I probably won't be buying it any time soon. For one, I have no time to read fiction, but I was never the biggest fan of her writing in general, and from the reviews that I've read, they're not saying it's a masterpiece or anything. Eh... whatevs.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Three replies all day? I didn't think I could think less of our memberbase than I already did, but I was wrong. Come on now, PokéCommunity...

I'm on page 15 and I vastly prefer this novel to the Harry Potter series, and I say that as a die-hard fan of it. I've already laughed and there's plenty of cursing to go around!

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
I have it, im at page 10 now, and Im Lovin It :P

Back