• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How many Pokemon will there be speculation thread

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Don't think GF knows what squeamish means, other wise they wouldn't have added 156 in the 5th generation. You also got to remember that this is suppose to be an entire different part of the world and there is bond to be a lot of new species, just like in Unova. The reason they never added a lot in the first 4 is because they were all very close to one another. And Hoenn is probably, to me, the biggest region before Unova and Kalos, so they added 135 to Hoenn.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
It depends on how many generations we have left and how many Pokemon slots there are left. There are 350 slots left, and a average of about 117 slots in three generations, so I guess that will be the number. (It's not as much as I thought but at least it's not fewer than any other region such as Johto)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Right now there in an unlimited amount off generations left. As people have said, they will keep making more until they start losing money. In 10 years if they still have not lost money, we could have 1500 pokemon and with their current way they are moving, they could easily make 5 more generations. They have been to Japan, North America, and now France. We still have 4+ European countries they can still go to, they can go to Brazil, more areas of North America, Canada and more. Right now there is no limit on the number of regions or pokemon.

Anyways, I have seen a similar pattern from generation to generation. It seems like when one type gets a lot of pokemon, they get very few in the next generation. And in Unova we had about 20 dark type pokemon, so we may very well see less than 10 in Kalos which kinda throws of the guess I had earlier and the Dark vs Light speculation. The only types that this pattern doesn't seem to affect is Fire and Water mainly and a few others. We also got a ton of flying types in Unova. This might just me over thanking things. I dig pretty deep when I speculate on anything.

To reveal my true reasoning behind everything, I think Kalos will mirror Hoenn like Unova did with Kanto. (To a certain amount.)

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'm probably guessing somewhere between 95-120 new Pokémon. Definitely not expecting a giant increase like we got from Unova, but at least a decent amount. Somewhere between Johto and Hoenn (well, probably on the lower-middle between the two) would be ideal to me. I'd rather have fewer higher-quality Pokémon than a bunch of new ones that don't seem forced because they wanted a larger amount of Pokémon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
This is probably my last guess at the number of pokemon. I am starting to dig too deep. There is no way I am going to be very accurate so don't expect it. I would be very surprised if I even got half of these right. Before I do start, let me clear a few things up. This includes all new pokemon. I am going to step a bit away from the Dark vs Fairy thing. I know Y was part Dark, but that may just be part of it. Fairies are usually with Forests and Water and the greatest threat to these to things is Poison or Pollution. Poison played a major roll in Pokemon BW2, so I am going to say that it may have been a hint for Poison being the main "evil" in Kalos. This is kinda like how some of the people in BW and BW2 were talking French. It was a slight hint at where the next region would be based around. My total has went back up to about 151 new pokemon again, because my original layout was at exactly 150, without counting what so ever. So taking it as a sign, yeah I know stupid haha, I added 1 more and made the total pokemon 800. Again this is a guess and I doubt I will be anywhere near close. Also, this is new pokemon. There would be more, but I am not taking Dual typed pokemon in account.

Spoiler:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Don't think GF knows what squeamish means, other wise they wouldn't have added 156 in the 5th generation. You also got to remember that this is suppose to be an entire different part of the world and there is bond to be a lot of new species, just like in Unova. The reason they never added a lot in the first 4 is because they were all very close to one another. And Hoenn is probably, to me, the biggest region before Unova and Kalos, so they added 135 to Hoenn.
I hope you're not referring to geography here as Sinnoh is thus far the biggest region followed by either Hoenn or B2W2 Unova, followed by Kanto, and Johto is the smallest.

I seriously don't expect another Unova. Unova was meant to be a reboot of the series, and arguably Hoenn was also one thus them having the largest numbers. I don't think despite additions in Kalos that it's meant to be another reboot.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
I seriously don't expect another Unova. Unova was meant to be a reboot of the series, and arguably Hoenn was also one thus them having the largest numbers. I don't think despite additions in Kalos that it's meant to be another reboot.

Agreed. Unova was something of an anomaly in my eyes, not something to be repeated or used as an example of future big generations. I don't think we'll ever see 150+ again.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I thin we will see from 80-100 Pokemon because of the quick-like release of the game.

Years
I expect it to be less than Hoenn's numbers but more than Johto, somewhere around Sinnoh works for me.

Also 80 is too little...and 130 is nearing too much imo.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
So far we have 32 confirmed Pokemon counting the Starter's evolutions (even though we don't know what they are we know that 6 more can be added.)

If we believe Swirlix and Spritzee evolve then we can add 2 to 4 more bringing the count so far to 34-36. This is already a pretty healthy number. I'm expecting at least 3 to 4 times this when the games are actually released now so roughly in the area of 102 to 144.

Years
So far we have 32 confirmed Pokemon counting the Starter's evolutions (even though we don't know what they are we know that 6 more can be added.)

If we believe Swirlix and Spritzee evolve then we can add 2 to 4 more bringing the count so far to 34-36. This is already a pretty healthy number. I'm expecting at least 3 to 4 times this when the games are actually released now so roughly in the area of 102 to 144.
I expect some where between those numbers, like 123. It's a good number imo and is close to the number Sinnoh had.

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
How many new Pokemon?

How many pokemon will be added this time? Do you think the will make it to 750 pokemon? I am just curious what you guys think to new number?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I think it was confirmed that it would be over 750, but it may have been over 700.
We will not get less than 100 pokemon I am almost certain of. My guess is 130 to 140.

Also, I think there is also a similar thread, but I do not know the name of it exactly.

PokemonMasterX

Also known as MysteriexMKII basically everywhere e
Years
Considering the sheer size of the Kalos region (the Pokédex is split into three) while still maintaining that distance from other regions Unova had that gave it an excuse to fill it with completely new Pokémon at first, I would imagine it'd be close to 800 Pokémon, honestly.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Hi ps3smileyface, I merged your topic into this one as we already had a topic for dicussing how many new Pokémon we're going to get this generation. Be sure to search or look around the forum to see if there is a topic already existing for stuff you wanna discuss!

I'd personally be happy with somewhere between 115-125 new Pokémon. Not as small as what Johto gave us, but definitely not like giving us an entire new Pokédex, especially if we're going to have previous Pokémon in the Pokédex. At that point it'd just be way too many Pokémon in the regional Pokédex.

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
I think there will be 120-150 new pokemon. The region is so large, I'd be upset if it didn't have at least 120. Considering the PokeDex is split into 3 regions then 120 would be the perfect number, 40 new in each.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I originally was thinking about 60-80 new Pokémon, as that would give them less Pokémon to use a filler. But, with the reveal of the new Fairy type, I can see it being roughly 100-120 due to the new type.

I won't be happy if it's GenI/GenV levels though.

Back