• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I could see the poster having an extended box art on it, or maybe the region Pokédex or something. It's still better than that stupid coin =P

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Agreeing with Jake here. Why pay almost $20 for a guide you'll probably look over a few times and never touch again, only to get a poster, when the poster can just come included with the game? It makes the most sense, tbh.
Exactly the reason they put the poster in a guide. To get $20 off of you for a useless guide so you can get your poster. It's basic business.

Cyclone

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
At this point the pre-order stuff isn't even worth it anymore for what it is. Plus, a poster that I can probably find on the internet and print for less than $20 and have all the information the guide provides found on the internet for free sounds better to me anyways =P

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
It's nice if you like having hard copies of stuff that you don't need to rely on the internet to use I guess, but who really doesn't have an internet connection now adays?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't think it's the Internet as a whole but it's rather that smaller children apparently aren't expected to use the Internet (and I certainly didn't when I was first into Pokemon :x) So I assume the guide book will exist to cater to them, and also be a collectable this generation.

blue

gucci
Years
My source is mainly Bulbapedia nowadays which is why I never really bother with Guidebooks, it's not worth paying the price when I can specifically find something within seconds via a search engine.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Not everyone has access to internet 24/7 or even more than maybe an hour at a time. The Guide books are perfect for those that can't access the internet either due to where they live, or based on life choices.

We take a lot of this for granted.

Then there is the possibility that in the future we may not have these sites to assist us. TPC and Gamefreak have put out a Cease and Desist order on fan based Pokemon sites when B/W came out that was backed by the law. They can very well do this again if they feel the need. I get the guide books cause I play at odd hours in the days, and a lot of time I don't have access to the internet or its faster to open the book that turning on my laptop and trying to connect to a site with crappy connections.

I dunno what they can give, but its most likely going to be a figurine like for the last sets or go the way of B/W and not have any bonus, but special sales on merchandise.

Seriously..B/W came out. Buy one get one 75% off ALL Pokemon merchandise. Then there was a free cleaning kit w/ ReshiZek stylus' at Toys R Us. I was one happy employee XD

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I suppose saying EVERYONE was a bad word choice. The majority of people where the games will be released do usually have access to the internet though daily. Maybe not 24/7, but you can get on at least once a day, whether it be through school, at home, a library, a smart phone, etc. I guess the guidebook hasn't been rendered useless yet, as there probably are people who still use it (as someone pointed out younger kids who might not be allowed to touch the internet), but it's pretty much getting phased out as far as usefulness is.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Then there is the possibility that in the future we may not have these sites to assist us. TPC and Gamefreak have put out a Cease and Desist order on fan based Pokemon sites when B/W came out that was backed by the law. They can very well do this again if they feel the need.
Wait a second. They got law enforcement to agree to help them ban Pokémon fan sites?

This is the type of action that could kill a franchise. I had no knowledge of this.

That said, if they take out sites like Bulbapedia and Serebii, I will respond by not buying any more of their products. I prefer sharing knowledge rather than buying a possibly incomplete magazine. Sites like Bulbapedia also have a lot more information about individual Pokémon, too. It's a Pokémon encyclopedia, basically.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Wait a second. They got law enforcement to agree to help them ban Pokémon fan sites?

This is the type of action that could kill a franchise. I had no knowledge of this.

That said, if they take out sites like Bulbapedia and Serebii, I will respond by not buying any more of their products. I prefer sharing knowledge rather than buying a possibly incomplete magazine. Sites like Bulbapedia also have a lot more information about individual Pokémon, too. It's a Pokémon encyclopedia, basically.

Cyclone

The sites had posted illegally attained images from Black and White way before release date. That was a violation towards the company since those sites unknowingly stole. If it conflicts with sales, yes they can have law enforced back up to close down any afflicting sites.

Same thing'll happen if the sites get early copies of X and Y and start posting all the information before release date.

Really the only info that sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia have that the guides don't is EV information. Its not in the guides because they are supposed to be secret and the guides give vague hints. I don't remember them giving absolute values, but ya. Bulbapedia also has a ton of speculative information. So even if we lose the sites, we only lose EV information. I use Guides more than Bulbapedia and Serebii, usually cause I find the info I need faster through the guides.

Oh right we lose specific details on items, but most of them are in the base description. You really didn't need to know that Magic Guard allows you to bypass Life Orb's 10% HP cost since most people use it on many pokemon that don't have Magic Guard. The basic info still tells you all that you need to know.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The sites had posted illegally attained images from Black and White way before release date. That was a violation towards the company since those sites unknowingly stole. If it conflicts with sales, yes they can have law enforced back up to close down any afflicting sites.
Yet Pokémon ROMs are still regularly available and hacked routinely. Clearly those aren't affecting sales or every file download and torrent site would cease to exist. A site may not know an image is illegally obtained, but how would it affect sales like a ROM which is a copy of a game?

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Yet Pokémon ROMs are still regularly available and hacked routinely. Clearly those aren't affecting sales or every file download and torrent site would cease to exist. A site may not know an image is illegally obtained, but how would it affect sales like a ROM which is a copy of a game?

Cyclone

ROMs are illegal and do affect sales. Sites that are found to be distributing them are always being attacks by the companies. Most of the time they change domain and hide. TPC does not support roms and sue creators. They promote hacks as they aren't their games and don't effect distribution of their games unless it is a hacked version OF their game distributed on carts.

Many stores do not take them in and even report the description of people who try to or actually manage to sell them to them. A lot of sites and site hosts do not allow the discussion or distribution of roms. Even we don't based on actual games.

Do not distribute illegal content. (4 pts / 4 mths)
The community does not allow discussion of illegal materials - this includes the unauthorized distribution of TV shows, movies, video games (including video game disc or ROM images), music, or software. You may not discuss how to obtain these materials, upload them to the PokéCommunity, or link to other web sites containing these materials.

Serebii and Bulbapedia have also adopted similar rules towards distribution of information. They will only allow credit to official sources. If an official source does not load them they cannot and will not update their content beyond typing what is there. When the games are released is when the two will start to add images and in depth content to their own sites. They may start writing once they have received their games but mostly do not submit all the materials until official releases.

Some magazines have started to stop circulation due to new media surfacing and the lack of ability to compete with other competitions. PSM, Nintendo Power, and one of the Xbox magazines fell out due to IGN and Game Informer being web based and paperback for easier access.

Some Guide publishing companies went out of business when online sites started posting pictured, in-depth guides online. If TPC feel threatened like they did with the B/W leak (which honestly, that was the worst leak case in Pokemon's history. A member of TPC was fired and imprisoned for releasing images before their scheduled date), they can legally force sites that are distributing their material to go off line and sue both the current host and creator for illegal distribution of copyrighted material.

After thinking about it a bit...Maybe this is why the X and Y news is coming out so slowly. GF and TPC worried about the level of information they have come out so they release barely anything just to keep the hook baited.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't really mind having to wait a little while for information to come out if I'm still getting it for free. As long as the sites aren't stupid again and get themselves in legal trouble I'll be happy.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Really the only info that sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia have that the guides don't is EV information. Its not in the guides because they are supposed to be secret and the guides give vague hints. I don't remember them giving absolute values, but ya. Bulbapedia also has a ton of speculative information. So even if we lose the sites, we only lose EV information. I use Guides more than Bulbapedia and Serebii, usually cause I find the info I need faster through the guides.

Speaking of EV information, how are we suppose to find out about what EV points Gen VI's Pokemon will have since the 3DS is currently unhackable. Not only that, how are we suppose to figure out about their precise base stats (Ex: 130 Attack) as their stat distributions from official guides are unreliable/inaccurate?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Speaking of EV information, how are we suppose to find out about what EV points Gen VI's Pokemon will have since the 3DS is currently unhackable. Not only that, how are we suppose to figure out about their precise base stats (Ex: 130 Attack) as their stat distributions from official guides are unreliable/inaccurate?

Probably the same way we found out in the past, someone will pull up a ROM and find their stats through that.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

With 5 generations to go off of, a math wiz can figure all of that out in a few weeks after some calculations so long as they don't change anything about stat growth in X and Y. Base stat and EV totals. Though the guide book can help you work out what stat you'd get an ev point in since they list the highest stat in an image graph. After that just have to calculate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back