• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Gabby and Ty

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Interview.png
Gabby and Ty are employees for Hoenn TV that appear in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald and are able to be battled and re-battled by the player. They use the Whimsur and Magnemite lines. They are unique in the fact that they are able to be instantly re-battled once they are defeated (although they will change between 3 locations). After the battle they will ask the player for a quick word on how the battle went and the response is then aired on the televisions of Hoenn.

What did you think about Gabby and Ty? Did you use them to train your Pokémon? Who was harder to defeat, Gabby (Exploud line) or Ty (Magneton line)? Did you ever answer their interview after the battle? Should have there been more trainers like this?

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
  • Age 26
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I remember that when I was younger I would battle them over and over to see if anything would happen. Of course nothing ever did, but I think they did help a bit in getting my Pokemon to level up. I also think I enjoyed making them put silly phrases on T.V.

I think having NPCs reoccur like that was a pretty cool idea, looking back on it. I don't really see a point behind it, but it was certainly fun to play around with.

droomph

weeb
Years
Ah I had Swampert blast through everything in the game so I couldn't tell tbh :P

It's a cool idea, and not a hard one to implement at all, as it seems.

I hated the "cool phrase" word selection screen. AAAHHHHH so much frustration.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I loved the battles they gave you; Magneton and Exploud were certainly very interesting Pokémon to fight together. And they were relatively strong compared to other trainers in the areas and gave lots of money :D Although I'll agree with droomph that the word selection thing was just annoying haha.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Oh I loved Gabby and Ty actually. I never had much trouble with either of them after my first playthrough because generally I'm very overleveled at any given point and always had a Blaziken. Type advantages are fab. But yeah no I really liked them; they were kind of fun and unique.

Years
I liked fighting Gabby & Ty a lot during my Pokemon Ruby days. They helped me a lot when I needed extra money, and boy do they give out a lot as AlexOzzyCake said.

Magneton was a little tricky to take out due to its resistances but luckily I had a Breloom with me often. Exploud is not too difficult although its Hyper Voice hits hard.

They can be easily crushed with any Fighting-type.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I actually liked them. I didn't have much trouble with them using Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon and Swampert together. Sometimes, I battled them for the free EXP.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I only just realised you could challenge them repeatedly (as in, more than three times) recently. And they made for a decent way to level up prior to Elite Four, considering that their Pokemon were at relatively high level, and there's the bonus of money. They weren't too much of a problem against my team, since I had an Exploud with Flamethrower to take care of Magneton, and Soundproof to negate Hyper Voice.

Other than that, I guess their little interview thing was cute, but I never bothered giving a reply after the first time, haha.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Younger I loved battling them. And I answered their interview seriously during a long time, acting like a star, I thought this concept was funny x)
Then, when I got bored, I just used them for the training.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I love these guys!!
But, the Magneton line was harder since I had a mainly Grass filled team.
And Steel/Grass don't mix.

Years
I loved battling them :) It was like a free money and xp farm for my mudkip :mudkip^_^:
And there should definatley be more trainers like that!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I never found the Magneton too difficult to beat, but that Exploud was usually bulky. Anyway, I don't care for the interviews anymore, but when I first started playing, I would tell them the name of the Pokemon that made the final move in battle. Eventually I started telling them random words like thirsty (speaking of that, remember the rumor that they would give you a fresh water if you said that?) and babe. Nowadays I just don't bother, but they're a good grinding method once you reach Fortree and have the ability to battle them at all three places they stay.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
It was really nice to have more "background" characters with a personality! And it was certainly nice to have more opportunities to utilize the tv interview system.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I actually really liked them! Their Pokemon were a challenge for me to beat back in the day when I played RSE, and they were useful for gaining money and EXP. Though afterwards in the interview I would mostly choose random words since the word choosing process was tedious.

Years
I loved it cause it was a battle with a purpose if you know what I mean - I always gave them their interview haha :D Plus I deliberately put my two faves out and made sure the last move was awesome so it was all mentioned on TV lol :D

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
It's kind of interesting, nice for training, but I wish the word choosing system was more like in Diamond and Pearl. Being able to use only one word makes it a bit hard to really do a whole lot with it. Still fun to see more interactive NPCs.

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
Years
Well I never actually had any trouble beating them, and they were great to battle constantly to train my Pokemon. However, every time I would defeat them i'd pick "Weak" to describe the battle, and I would laugh every time I'd see it on tv. xD

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
To answer myself:

I liked the idea of Gabby and Ty. I found them to be a good place to train weaker Pokémon. I always found Ty and his Magneton more annoying because of its resistances and the fact that it knew Thunder Wave. I would usually answer their interview the first time, and then only when I could be bothered after that. It would've been cool to have more trainers like them so that I could train on them, but I guess that would make them less special.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I REMEMBER THESE GUYS!

Well, I don't actually remember them. But the picture at the top of the article certainly reminded me of their existence in RSE. I think they were a kinda cool addition to the games, although writing a 'cool word' after every battle probably got very tiresome very quickly. At least now I'm probably going to remember their names! :D

Back