• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
It's not even only that. This is not final footage is what some of us were trying to say as well, it even says that during the trailer at the beginning. What we've been shown is obviously something to give us insight on where we are headed in general when it comes to what it'll look like. They have more than enough time to add in details, fix little glitches, and to smoothen out things seeing as the release isn't 'til October.

The whole blocky argument is just a general thing with 3ds games, they tend to look a lot better on the actual system's screen.

Btw, I can't believe how some things slip by us when we're not paying attention all of the way. I don't remember if anyone's brought this up but did anyone notice that, when the protagonist is swinging on that rope, his glasses get stuck in the air and are left behind? I saw someone point it out on a screenshot in another forum and I checked back and noticed it in the trailer, too. XD Funny stuff glitches are.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
It's not even only that. This is not final footage is what some of us were trying to say as well, it even says that during the trailer at the beginning. What we've been shown is obviously something to give us insight on where we are headed in general when it comes to what it'll look like. They have more than enough time to add in details, fix little glitches, and to smoothen out things seeing as the release isn't 'til October.

The whole blocky argument is just a general thing with 3ds games, they tend to look a lot better on the actual system's screen.

Your assumption is that Gamefreak will make some significant changes between now and the time of release (I'm assuming). That's fine, but it's your assumption. You don't know that they will make the necessary changes to bring the visuals up to par with other AAA 3DS titles.

I personally do not think that they will. I feel that if they were going to make significant changes, those changes have already been planned, and they wouldn't have shown us game footage when they did if it was going to look better when the game launched (pre-orders have already begun!) They only have about 6-7 months left to make any such changes before the game has to go into production to prepare for a huge launch. That is no time at all in the gaming industry.

And, again, I would urge anyone who thinks "it will look better on the screen" to just compare it to other trailers, which are shown in the same high resolution on your computer screen.

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
To go from this
72.png

To this
135764447855.png

Within a year is a huge step up.
I think it's going to work really well.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Honestly, I was surprised by the announcement that came so early but I'm happy, like many others, to see a brand new Pokemon game that is now finally coming to the 3DS. I was surprised with the new 3D-ness, but at least the game ill be unique! I think that the transition will change the game, and will make it different. I'm not sure if I will like it or not, I will have to see more gameplay footage.

ClumzyTrainR13

Storm Caster
Years
Honestly, I was slowly anticipating the 3D effects. I mean, even before the 3DS came out, I was like, OMG, what if pokemon was 3D?! My peers shared the same views as well. I had thought Black/White 2 was coming out on the 3DS, and to no avail. Now that is upon us, I cna't wait. Seriously, am I the only person who wants to get Flamethrower'd in the face? XD

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Your assumption is that Gamefreak will make some significant changes between now and the time of release (I'm assuming). That's fine, but it's your assumption. You don't know that they will make the necessary changes to bring the visuals up to par with other AAA 3DS titles.

I personally do not think that they will. I feel that if they were going to make significant changes, those changes have already been planned, and they wouldn't have shown us game footage when they did if it was going to look better when the game launched (pre-orders have already begun!) They only have about 6-7 months left to make any such changes before the game has to go into production to prepare for a huge launch. That is no time at all in the gaming industry.

And, again, I would urge anyone who thinks "it will look better on the screen" to just compare it to other trailers, which are shown in the same high resolution on your computer screen.

Well you're assuming wrong then with that first assumption, haha. Where did I imply(or assume) that they'd make significant changes? They're not even pulling for the same style as something like PMD or SM3DL so it's not a really fair comparison when you put it like that.

They have more than enough time to add in details, fix little glitches, and to smoothen out things seeing as the release isn't 'til October.

6-7 months definitely is no time if you aren't anywhere close to finishing , but it is plenty of time if all they need to do is 'touch up' on things like ^. I personally think that's pretty much what the overworld needs and I don't think it's as bad(or will be as bad) as a lot are making it out to be at this point(since it will still have a better chance at looking a lot smoother on an actual 3DS screen, like usual with 3DS games).

On a second note, the game footage is not final like was stated in the trailer, so we can't be 100% sure where they're at anyways with things.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I think it's fantastic that they've finally got 3D models of Pokémon instead of sprites in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, at least it gives it a better view and better perspective to the game overall.

But other than that, at least now you can see the sky more than you could in previous games. Where as in games like Pokémon Platinum, you couldn't see anything but black sky if you tried to use codes that enabled that kind of view. However, the caves and inside buildings probably will have the same top-down view, as seen in the trailer with the gym.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
My favourite camera angle was that of D/P/HG/SS, and I HATED the angles on skyarrow bridge, so I hope that if they do have the camera at the angle shown in the video, it doesn't vary too much too quickly

Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2013
From what little we've seen in the preview footage the game looks amazing; as you probably know, graphics were never the selling point of this game so the ameliorated animations and character models are definitely an added bonus though features that were needed almost 20 years into the game's history.

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
Im happy about it, but not that much (Probaly because i might never have a 3DS :( ) because there are A lot of that might not get to play it. But they could (Just could) Make it on Wii U or the Dsi XL but nerfed from 3D or something like that :\. Probaly not gonna happen though.

Guy

just a guy
Years
We've seen a small fraction of what the games will look like so far in 3D. From what I've seen, I wouldn't call it perfect, but I'm definitely impressed with what they've done. Truthfully, I've been anticipating this transition for years now. First was when I was as a kid and I'd sometimes imagine what a main game would look like three dimensional. Then again when I saw what DPPt looked like and later Black and White / B2W2. Now that is has finally happened, I'm kind of embracing the switch from 2D to full blown 3D. It'll take some getting used to at first, but I'm really excited about it. Whatever limitations held them back from before, they now have so much more room to work with in 3D. So to see what they can do from here on out will be very interesting to say the least.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
My favourite camera angle was that of D/P/HG/SS, and I HATED the angles on skyarrow bridge, so I hope that if they do have the camera at the angle shown in the video, it doesn't vary too much too quickly

Oh I'm opposite. I loved B/W's angles! Well anything in Unova I loved but still, the camera angles seemed more realistic and interesting, so I hope it's kind of like in B/W. Even graphic-wise overall I hope it maintains okay quality, much like Unova did, but... they're for different systems and I doubt the graphics will be unflawless. :(

Guy

just a guy
Years
I personally thought the different camera angles across Skyarrow Bridge gave the ride across more dynamic. To each their own, but I personally hope we get to see more of this camera action in X and Y with the new 3D capabilities they'll be able to expand on.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Oh I'm opposite. I loved B/W's angles! Well anything in Unova I loved but still, the camera angles seemed more realistic and interesting, so I hope it's kind of like in B/W. Even graphic-wise overall I hope it maintains okay quality, much like Unova did, but... they're for different systems and I doubt the graphics will be unflawless. :(

Mm, I too loved Unova's camera angles. They were different than anything we had seen before it. And yes, I doubt the graphics will be flawless, they never have been perfect. I'm not expecting OoT level graphics, as this is GameFreaks first endeavour into the 3DS. However, I believe that X&W wil be like DPPT, look how far BW2 has come from those games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well after just seeing the 3D function of the 3DS (on the main screen, but still) I'd rather not if they went all out with 3D lmao. I'd like it to have much less 3D, but for it to look really realistic. idk now I'm like "do I really want it to be fully 3D??"

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2013
man i think it going to look fantastic cant wait for both game im finally gonna get back to pokemon after so many years

btw did any of you notice the the slider fo the 3d was off?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
man i think it going to look fantastic cant wait for both game im finally gonna get back to pokemon after so many years

They're still improving on things, so, it might seem 'off' but it can be easily fixed.

Well after just seeing the 3D function of the 3DS (on the main screen, but still) I'd rather not if they went all out with 3D lmao. I'd like it to have much less 3D, but for it to look really realistic. idk now I'm like "do I really want it to be fully 3D??"

Mmm, yeah, it is a pretty big transition to go from 2-D to 3-D, soooo it might seem weird to have it all 3-D. Maybe they'll restrict certain things to more 2-Dish, but, eh; I'd like to see how they transition it all in to 3-D first~

Guy

just a guy
Years

It might not have made much of a difference if the 3D was on anyway. As a viewer of the gameplay, we probably wouldn't notice the 3D depth quite like you would seeing it with our actual eyes.

Mmm, yeah, it is a pretty big transition to go from 2-D to 3-D, soooo it might seem weird to have it all 3-D. Maybe they'll restrict certain things to more 2-Dish, but, eh; I'd like to see how they transition it all in to 3-D first~
I hope they do. Since they're moving onto the 3DS, I would like them to really push the limits as to what they can do now and how far they can go. I don't want them to just settle. From what we've seen compared to other 3DS titles, there's definitely more that they can do.

Back