• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

100% New FireRed Titlescreen

MayanMan2012

Pokemon Dawn/Dusk: Coming Soon
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2014
Hello, and welcome. I've been hacking here for a while, and I thought I'd find out how to do something that I hadn't seen explained here. I tried to figure it out, make sure there were no bugs in the method, and I hope this is of use to you.​

Tools Needed:
MS Paint
IrfanView
unLZ-GBA
Advance Palette Editor
Nameless TileMap Editor​

Pokemon Logo and Version Name
I'm sure you've all seen this, but I wanted to take it to the next step. Very simple process, really. I have figured out how to place the logo anywhere you want on the titlescreen.​

Step One:
Goto (roughly) 2009 in unLZ-GBA​

Step Two:
Click "Save as..." and load the image in photoshop​

Step Three:
Load your game in VBA or No$GBA​

Step Four:
At the titlescreen, click tools - palette viewer - save bg, save as an ACT​

Step Five:
In Photoshop, goto Image - mode - palette table, and click load. Load the palette from the game, and click okay​

Step Six:
Copy the image and paste in Paint​

Step Seven:
Erase the "FireRed Version" text and replace with your logo​

Step Eight:
Place the new logo in Photoshop, goto image - palette table, and click grayscale in the drop down menu. Save the image​

Step Nine:
Import the image into unLZ-GBA, and click write to rom. It should work​

Step Ten:
This is where the new step comes in. Open the new logo in NTME​

Step Eleven:
Using the Tile Selection box on the right, select the "pokemon" part of the logo and place anywhere in the bottom screen​

Step Twelve:
Place the rest of the logo underneath the "pokemon" part. Save the tilemap​

Step Thirteen:
Back in unLZ-GBA, goto the next image after the logo (probably 2010, but there is a slight chance yours will be different), and goto file, load raw. Select the tilemap you just made, and click write to rom. It should also work.​

Step Fourteen:
Check in your game to see if you did it correctly! Enjoy!​

Titlescreen Charizard
Again, this is a hacker's basic cup of tea. It's often changed almost as much as the logo, so most people who are experienced know how to do this. However, I have some extra features that I hope you all can find useful.

Step One:
Select your image (it can be any size, as long as it doesn't exceed the size of the titlescreen ;)

Step Two:
Open the image in IrFanView, click Image - Decrease Color Depth - 16 Colors [4 BPP] - OK

Step Three:
Goto Image - Palette - Edit Palette, and edit the first color. Hopefully, and probably, this will be your background color, otherwise you will need to do further palette editing. Make the color a bright color that is very different from any other colors in your picture.

Step Four:
Goto Image - Palette - Export Palette, and save it as a PAL file

Step Five:
Save the image as a PNG

Step Six:
Open up NTME and your saved image

Step Seven:
Using the tile selection box, place the image anywhere in the bottom screen

Step Eight:
In the Palettemap tab in NTME, make sure the whole image is "0"'s. Then cover your new image in "D"'s. Save the tilemap

Step Nine:
Open up unLZ-GBA with your rom, goto (roughly) 2011, and import your image with the bright background. Click write to rom. Depending on the size of your image, you may have to write a new offset

Step Ten:
Goto the next pointer (probably 2012). Goto File - Load Raw, and load your tilemap. Again, depending on the size of your image, you may need to repoint the offset

Step Eleven:
Open up APE with your rom, and goto the offset EAD5E8. Load the palette you exported during the beginning

Now for me, it never works quite right. If it works fine for you, go on to Step Thirteen

Step Twelve:
Try to import the palette again, until you get an error message saying Runtime Error 13. The palette numbers should still appear. Either screen capture or write down the numbers, and close the application. Re-open APE, and at the offset EAD5E8, write the palette numbers in the bottom two rows. Click Replace, and the Load. the palette at the top should be the new palette.

Step Thirteen:
Click Replace, and the Load. the palette at the top should be the new palette

Step Fourteen:
Check in your game to see if you did it correctly! Enjoy!

Next to come:
Titlescreen background
Titlescreen Fire

Tell me if there is anything else I should show how to edit!

~MayanMan

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
this is a great tutorial, easy to follow. the only thing that could make this better would be pictures to help visual learners. anyways, great job, ive been wondering how to do that for a while now. Thanks!

MayanMan2012

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2014
I apologize, I have an older version than yours, but I've changed it so it applies to cs5 and newer. In image, goto mode, then click color table.

Sorry for any inconvenience,
~MayanMan

BLAZEQUAZA

ONE FIERY BEAST
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016
Great Tutorial Man - I've always wanted to center my logo like in Ruby and Sapphire

~Blaze

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2016
the titlescreen

i dont have photoshop, can i use other? or any tutorial how to edit the logo w/o using photoshop?

MayanMan2012

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2014
Well, I've never had to use GIMP, so you might have to ask in simple questions.

Second, I'm working on an update, but I'm finding a few bugs, trying to find solutions.

~MayanMan

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
I can't find it, it's not there. Can someone post a raw image of what its supposed to look like?

MayanMan2012

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2014
Update!

I've finished the Titlescreen Charizard Tutorial.

Visit the first post
~MayanMan

MayanMan2012

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2014
Well I've never heard of paint.NET, but as far as I know, th closest thin is irfanview, which doesn't really work with the titlescreen.

Sorry I cant help you more
~MayanMan

Back