• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Take a friend with you! (Rivals)

Guy

just a guy
Years
I do not care either way. I just want a rival I'd like to beat, and one which has some decent characterisation and development.
At the end of the day, I think that's all we can really hope for.

An idea I've come to take a liking to would be a sibling rivalry. I feel like we've played the childhood friend rival antic for so long now, that I wouldn't mind trying something new, and a sibling rivalry could be just that. I can already picture the constant teases, the sibling squabbles coming from our older sister or brother. Then there's a certain taste of sweet satisfaction that comes from beating your older sibling every time. Oh joy! However, since in my head I picture the sibling to be older, then a childhood rival who's starting their journey at the same time as the player could probably still be used in this situation.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'd love a sibling rivalry; they can make some sort of 'dark' side plot with that too, like say, fighting over a parents' love, and gaining acceptance and respect in the family. Well, I'd call it kinda dark anyway. Maybe the sibling rivalry can have a theme of "placement roles in the family" - It reminds me of the main plot of Tales of the Abyss where Luke and Asch fought for who they were, instead of who they were -destined- to be. Perhaps family member rivalry can play a role in that for these games.

Flydro

doobz
Years
I like the rival to be antagonistic and somewhat of a jerk, more motivation in a rival you dislike rather than a rival you're friends with. Hope they have a rival like in Gen I and II.

Years
I'd love to see the return of a rival with a Blue/Silver like attitude, as I found it a lot more gratifying to win against them rather than someone like Barry. It would also be nice to see a female rival with a bit of a mean streak, as all of the female "rivals" just seemed to be friendly and wanting to help you with your journey, rather than wanting to become the best.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
At the end of the day, I think that's all we can really hope for.

An idea I've come to take a liking to would be a sibling rivalry. I feel like we've played the childhood friend rival antic for so long now, that I wouldn't mind trying something new, and a sibling rivalry could be just that. I can already picture the constant teases, the sibling squabbles coming from our older sister or brother. Then there's a certain taste of sweet satisfaction that comes from beating your older sibling every time. Oh joy! However, since in my head I picture the sibling to be older, then a childhood rival who's starting their journey at the same time as the player could probably still be used in this situation.

I've been wanting a sibling rivalry for a couple generations now! It would allow the adventure to be that much more personal/emotional in the long run and of course, due to most siblings being 'at each other' naturally, it would still be satisfying to kick their ass at times(especially if they are older and think they know everything because of that, like you've mentioned).

You could also have that childhood friend/rival who you have/both have known for a while; I wouldn't mind as much if they were just as competitive or the nice one, but your sibling definitely has to be the one you want to show up/outdo more.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh I'd like sibling rivalry! Given that there was a sibling for your friend/rival in B2/W2 it might even be more likely, although I can't say hate the idea of having more childhood friends like back in Black and White. I'd assume that if so it'd be an older sibling, so that you're the younger one that they "naturally" expect to lose and not do as well as the other.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I was thinking...

If it really is possible to customize our characters and the customization options are varied enough. It would be interesting if we could connect with our friends and use their characters as a substitute for the default rivals. They would still take part in the storyline, it's just their image would be different (and you'd probably have to use one male friend and one female friend.

Failing that it would be interesting if we were given the choice to customize our rivals too.

I probably wouldn't use that unless the default rivals were bland but it would nice to have the option.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
What kind of RIval would you like to see ?

What kind of Rival or rivals would you like to encounter in the new generation would you like to see a evil rival trying to take over the world, would you like to see the political rival , the cliche rival which is the rival who grew up with you ex. blue , cheren . or any thing not seen before . Give me your take

Back