• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What isn't wrong with this Cheerios ad?

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I'll admit, the first thing I decided to do was watch the video, and then read the comments or the posts relating to the video. I figured if it's really that bad I'd notice everything right away, right?

I watched it probably four times before coming to the conclusion there's nothing even somewhat racist about it. I want to say trolls are tearing it apart because that's what they do, but I don't really think it's entirely trolls. Racist people exist, as sad as it sounds.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I saw this for the first time a while back, probably a few months, and I actually forgot why I was directed to the video. The moment I hit play, I was overwhelmed with "d'aaawwww that's cute!" from everywhere and totally forgot to read the comments or anything until a friend reminded me to do so. I don't think there's anything wrong with this at all and it's definitely a vocal minority doing what they can to stir up trouble. It's a cute commercial, I smile whenever I see on it on TV.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Wait, this is racist?

Wow, society has become a bunch of wusses.

It's not racist at all, it's the opposite, rather. It's a pretty normal thing, but for a bunch of people seeing an interracial marriage on an advert it means destroying the ~purity~ of the ~white man~, which means "demolishing the spirit of the US" or some crap.

droomph

weeb
Years
I…would try in normal situations to consider the other side, but I just feel that this is trolls being successful for once.

So yeah. The normal evacuation strategy - form a straight line, exit the building, and don't panic. Also don't use the elevator because it might get broken on the way down and you'll be trapped.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
The real question is, what's wrong with people who see anything wrong here. Interracial marriage is a thing, and has been for decades. The still existing spurs of racism are amazing.

This. That commercial was adorable and sweet. The innocence of a child should be the focus of attention, not "OMG THE DAD'S BLACK WTFFF."

I've never seen this commercial in Canada so it might be a US-only viewing. People need to be less concerned about who others marry or engage themselves with. It's as bad as religious people being up in arms about homosexual marriage. You have the right not to like it; however, you definitely do not have the right to bash others for their life choices. Same can be said of inter-racial couples. Have we not outgrown that mentality? Jeez.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
... this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week haha. I watched the video thinking "... why on earth does this warrant a thread", then after reading the content I didn't know whether to cry or laugh. The video with all the children's' reactions was touching but the fact that it even had to be made is... stunning, haha. It's quite amazing how close-minded some people can be, but I suppose it's often just a case of generations or how you were raised. Whether that's worth forgiving I don't know, but the fact itself is still horrid to think about.

Back