• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Japanese Pokemon Names?

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Now, as you must know, there are currently about 649 Pokemon in the whole series. Most of them have awesome English names e.g. Hydreigon, Electivire, etc. But what not much people pay attention to are their JAPANESE names. Like Hydreigon's Japanese name is Sazandora, and Samurott's Japanese name is Daikenki!

What are your favourite Japanese Pokemon names? Please.

Discuss as much as possible!

Years
Dotaitos (Torterra), Rizardon (Charizard), Goukazaru (Infernape)... There are many of them that sound just awesome, I like Japanese language overall, I wish Japanese names were the canon ones.

Years
Daikenki aka Samurott.

Do I even have to explain? It's one of the coolest Japanese names ever, and it's my username on PC's Battle Server! I just love how cool the name looks and the origin behind it.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I prefer to watch the anime in Japanese, I am more accustomed to their names in Japanese, as opposed to the other "dubbed" names (English, French, German, or Korean).... I sometimes do wish that the Spanish dubbed would have use different names for certain Pokemon (at times its kind of hard to pronounce some English Pokemon names)

Thanks to my Spanish accent, (at least for 70% of Pokemon names) I find it easier to say them in Japanese than say English, French, or German.

Obviously my favorite Pokemon I prefer their Japanese names - over the English names, such as: Futachimaru (Dewott), Mijumaru (Oshawott), Choroneko (Purrloin), Minezumi (Patrat), Kojofu (Mienfoo), Kojondo (Mienshao), especially Miruhoggu (Watchog) (thanks to episode BW 115, when Hiroto's Miruhoggu spoke, in my mind "it was the greatest PokeVoice I have heard" to date, use it as my tone for getting text messages)..... just to name a few. Also my two talking plushies speak in Japanese - so English names? rarely used by me. [not sure what else to discuss]

Last edited:
Years
I wouldn't say that I really prefer any of the Japanese names to the English ones (as any references get would be meaningless in English), but there are some I still enjoy for one reason or another. Hapinasu (Blissey), Dumbber (Beldum), Mukkuru/Mukubird/Mukuhawk (Starly line) and Voltolos (Thundurus) are probably my favorites.

And Boober. Can't forget him.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2023
I don't really know why I'm drawn to this name so much, but I am. Haha. Kibago (Axew) is by far my favorite Japanese out of them all. I even love the voice actor of Axew in the Japan dub. :D

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
Ferrothorn's Japanese name is pretty nice. You don't encounter something like Nattorei everyday.

I also know a guy who used to use the name 'ban nattorei' on simulators.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
While I do most of the times watch the anime in Japanese, I can't really relate to and remember the original names, because I don't know their meaning most of the time. But now I realize I'm really missing out, I checked out Daikenki's meaning, and it really is cool. I'll probably spend the next couple of hours checking out the meaning of the Japanese names on bulbapedia {XD}

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I don't think I've really learned alot of the Japanese names to have an exact favorite, I prefer the English ones, despite some being really cheesy. But ones I like a lot of Mijumaru, Daikenki cause it sounds really cool and has a cool meaning, Pokabu, Fushigidane, Yadoran, Hikozaru, Elfuun, Waruvile, Warrgle, Keromatsu and Fokko are some I really like.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I don't really know why I'm drawn to this name so much, but I am. Haha. Kibago (Axew) is by far my favorite Japanese out of them all. I even love the voice actor of Axew in the Japan dub. :D

Kibago sounds like something you would eat.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I watched some of the BW anime before it had been translated, so I got used to Mijumaru, Pokabu and Tsutarja and I still think those names fit the starter trio of Unova better than Oshawott, Tepig and Snivy. But that's probably mostly because I heard them first.

One of the most beautiful japanese pokémon names imo is Eievui (or Ibui) for Eevee. Not sure if it's pronounciated differently, but it looks really nice.

Some names I find funny:

Rarecoil = Magneton

Ghost = Haunter

Sleep, Sleeper = Drowzee, Hypno

Strike = Scyther

Gallop = Rapidash

Sandpan = Sandslash

Foodin = Alakazam, haha food!

And of course the eeveelutions: Showers, Thunders and Booster = Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon lol

Not to mention the bird trio: Freezer, Thunder and Fire = Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres xD

Spoiler:

I feel they have gotten less simple-minded when they make up names nowadays.

No Worries

Biggest Obito fan ever!
Years
I don't have any favorites, but here's a few cool ones off the top of my head.

Kaiorga (Kyogre)
Bangiras (Tyranitar)
Bohmander (Salamence)
Ulgamoth (Volcarona)

Back