• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best free program(s) for pokemon game-making?

fanh

<= Gotta eat 'em all
Years
Hi, I'm new to game making, and I want to know which free program(s) is the best to make pokemon-style games. Please tell me about the program (and put a link to the official site, if possible). Thank you ^^

Firemaker

Pokemon Master
Years
The best program is RPG Maker XP, though it costs $60 after a 30-day free trial. Another game that has been helpful in developing pokemon-like games is Sphere.

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2009
Any programmin language will be fine, althought some will be harder then others.
C/C++ for unlimited opportunities.

Dream Maker (BYOND) for easy online game making, only 2D thought. http://www.byond.com/

Game Maker for simple D&D game making or advanced game making by coding. http://www.yoyogames.com/make

RPG Maker for easy game making but very limited unless you're good in some strange coding language :S (C/C++,DM and GML are very similar compared to ruby(?) in my opinion)

I'm making a online pokemon game with Dream Maker and it's going quite good. (Will lack some graphic functions (battles won't look exactly as in the GB games))

fanh

<= Gotta eat 'em all
Years
*is a total newbie* Where should I start with?

So... I want to make a pokemon fan game, but I'm a bit confused. Where should I start with? Can anyone show me a brief list of steps? Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2009
-Learn the coding language!
-Get some graphic (sprites)
-Start coding!

You could learn the language while you are coding through examples if you want to start of earlier.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
You could buy RPG Maker XP ($60), and download Pokémon Essentials - you don't need a lot of scripting/coding knowledge to use it. However, it's a bit complicated at times.

Tentacruel13

PM me f you want to contact me
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2015
Game Maker! It's free, and if you want to upgrade to Pro it's only $20 and if they come out with a new version you get pro of that version too! Just Google it!

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Get RPG Maker XP, it's well worth the $60. And probably the most flexible game maker out there (although I haven't really tried any others)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Can I get a specs comparison of some of these programs? Maximum number of maps, maximum size of maps, maximum sprite/tilesheet size, maximum resolution of tiles, etc.

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2009
Game Maker: Everything unlimited size (I think)
Dream Maker: sprites can't be larger then 32x32 (but that can be fixed through some easy coding) but maps are unlimited.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
RMXP: Maps - up to 999 x 999 tiles.
Tileset - 8 x (very large number) tiles (each 32 x 32 pixels).
Up to 999 different tilesets.
I don't think there's a limit to number of resources - Essentials has at least 3000 sprites and still work.
In-game switches and variables - up to 5000, although this can be easily increased with a little scripting knowledge.
However, if you use the default systems, there is a limit of 999 on most things (enemies, weapons, skills etc). I'm sure you won't be using them for a Pokémon game, though.
And RMXP has one major thing going for it - the existence of a virtually complete Pokémon starter kit.

sprugles555

L Spriter, Advanced RMXP User
Years
RMXP is easy to use, and with scripting knowledge, can be even better. Wichu was talking about Pokemon Essentials, which is a modification of Flameguru's Pokemon starter kit, which incorporates Poccils Pokemon Advance battle system along with many new features he added!
That is your best bet, to make a fairly good Pokemon Game with ease!

Back