• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Poochyena: Good or Bad?

• Thread starter Pokémon Trainer 188
  • Start date
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
Poochyena doesn't excactly have much of a wide movepool IMO, i'd rather snag myself and absol than a Poochyena.(Which I did.)

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Yea I caught one early on on my first playthrough. I ditched it once I got a Houndour, though.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
I don't know about battling with it too too much, but Poochyena will always be one of my favs. If we lived in the pokemon world, it would be my Pikachu.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
I think it's a pretty good dark type you can get early on, at least until level 30. You might want to get some TMs, because it's move pools is pretty poor. I wouldn't say it's an amazing dark type, but it's good to use at least until level 30.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
For me I think it's terrible but in early game you can use it as a hm slave for a couple of the hm's.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Look Poochyena is one of the weak Pokemon okay :) But i am not being mean ;p just telling and yeah some time Poocyena look cute dog for me but when i saw it with some Grunts it feel me like a crazzy dog :) But i kinda like it but catching it and Raising it and evolving Mightyena maybe can help you but its not good as you started newly, It faint too fast and it doesn't had a very good attack or defense so it faint soon and i didn't even get a Opportunity to evolve it. And sorry but it not gonna help you much more in E4 And gyms after 5 or 4 and i suggest you, you better Alter it with a other Pokemon Linking trade can help you ;p and if you think its good so the choice is your you can beat some gyms and trainer but it goes Usefulness some time later. Sorry but that's the truth don't think i am trying to be mean.

Years
Nah I never used it that much. I would catch an Absol after Fortree and use that to take down Tate and Liza. Couldn't justify how long it took to make him battle ready, only for him to be useless agains Brawly and next to useless against Wattson too. I would rather be training a Psychic type at that point in the game, Abra or Ralts. They are more helpful in the long term (Except the E4 in Sapphire seems like it was specifically designed to hate on Psychic-type)

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
Years
It's an alright early game Pokémon, but it might be smart to switch it out for an Absol in Fortree. I used a Mightyena to go through the E4, but it could have been a lot easier if I had a stronger Pokémon (like Absol, for example) in that slot. A strong ghost type Like Gengar can also be useful if you want a good Dark move user. Ghost Pokémon are generally pretty helpful late game, especially in the Gen III elite 4.

Back