• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen HMs?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
As long as they did it like BW (where you don't need any HM to finish the story) I am fine. Though, Fly and Surf (I mean come on, there's gotta be a flyable atmosphere, and a sea there!) would be present. Probably waterfall also.
What's wrong with needing HMs to finish the story?

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
HMs should be kept and HMs like Cut, Surf and Strength should be required to complete the game however they should be kept in places which are appropriate to the HM

HM01 - Cut - Forest
HM02 - Fly - Tower
HM03 - Surf - Beach
HM04 - Strength - Cave
HM05 - Waterfall - After 8th Gym (Tradition)
HM06 - Dive - Ocean
HM07 - Rock Climb - Mountain
HM08 - Defog/Rock Smash - Rough Terrain

Years
I hope they're making Strength more useful. Rarely do you ever need to push rocks in the game, perhaps letting you open cave doors or climb up a tall ledge. I honestly think the cut move is useless regardless of its stats and power.

And I too want some (but not all) HMs to be useable items or objects like Zet said.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... let's see... I could speculate the moves that the HMs have. Here's what I think they might end up being:

HM01 - Cut
HM02 - Grapple (a new move)
HM03 - Strength
HM04 - Rock Climb
HM05 - Fly
HM06 - Surf
HM07 - Dive
HM08 - Waterfall

Now that's what I think will be how the HM order will go like, and I thought up a new move as well for speculation.

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
Cut will return,
rock smash will with a higher base power like 60.
Fly ofc
strength,we could see the player push boulders in 3d.
Waterfall as well
also surf
then rock climb
AND FINALLY THE RETURN OF DIVE!!!!

blue

gucci
Years
I'm pretty content with Surf & Fly, they're the most useful in and out of battle, maybe Defog could make a re-appearance ;)

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I really hope HMs are completely removed in favor of TMs. Not being able to overwrite them through normal means has gotten really old and the unlimited TM feature introduced in Generation 5 makes them worthless. You need cut? OK, learn it... but I can see why they have them as difficult to be removed as that adds some sort of (annoyance) difficulty to finding obstacles.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I'm just hoping they make HMs more... I don't know... hidden, maybe? -____-

One of the things that made Unova so damn easy was because all the HMs were given to you as part of the plot and events that you had to do. I can't think of a time where I actually had to look for an HM. To me, up until that point, HMs generally made the game more of a challenge. In order to advance in the game, you needed a new HM to make your way to a new in-game area. In past generations, it was something that was a little more hard to come by than they were in Unova.

I didn't really think about it, but that's a good point! I hope we still use HMs, though, (items would be better imo but still) just not handed to us.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I'm also hoping that if they do make a return, you can replace them with TM's rather than going to the Move Deleter.
Yes, that would be alot more useful, then the move deleter can have peace xD

I really hope HMs are completely removed in favor of TMs. Not being able to overwrite them through normal means has gotten really old and the unlimited TM feature introduced in Generation 5 makes them worthless. You need cut? OK, learn it... but I can see why they have them as difficult to be removed as that adds some sort of (annoyance) difficulty to finding obstacles.
Exactly, now they're just TM's that don't go away and used out of battle, which even some TM's do: Flash, Sweet Scent, etc.

Years
As long as I don't need HMs to get through every single new area I'm okay keeping Cut, Strength, and the rest. It would be kind of nice if they were only necessary to get to special areas, find items, and things that weren't strictly necessary, but I'm resolved to them not changing much and still making me use them as I get them.

Riding on a Pokemon (other than surf, that is) sounds like a great thing and I'd love to see that.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
I hope they don't bring back cut. Strength is okay because there are some little boulder pushing puzzles in past games which are kind of fun to make. Fly is great, 'nuff said. Surf too.

I do agree with Mac when he says that they should make HMs deletable without the need of an NPC. It's really annoying when it comes to cut. At least make the cut-able trees be removed forever, like the boulders were in BW and BW2 once they were pushed to those holes.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I've had a thought about HM Dive - will it be removed or will it remain? If it does remain, I reaaaally hope that Dive will serve more of a purpose than just finding ruins and finding treasure; it can probably let you travel to certain cities like in RSE.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I don't really like most of the HMs so I don't hope to see any new ones. The only to I'd like to see are surf and fly. Sadly, both of these might be cut out. xD

Back