• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey

Introduction-
This thread is mainly meant as a means of informing the masses that Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey is coming. Yesterday's Journey is a game being developed in RMXP using poccil's Pokémon Essentials.

Plot Overview-
Today, a member of the Pokémon Breeders Society is coming to the orphanage where you live. He is giving a short presentation on Pokémon, and at the end, all the ten year old orphans will receive a Pokémon. Unfortunately, orphans aren't allowed to go on Pokémon Adventures, as they are required to have their parents' permission.

So you have your Pokémon, but you've got nobody to battle and nowhere to go. Outside, you can hear a Pokémon crying. After talking to the Pokémon, there is a white flash and it seems better. When you step back inside, everything looks different. The TV is gone, the rugs are a different color, and nobody looks familiar. You are greeted by an old woman who does not recognize you. She asks you to leave, as she has to feed the orphans. You desperately try to explain to her that you are an orphan, but she thinks you are mocking the poor children she takes care of. Confused, you wander around the town.

Just before the entrance to Route 1, you are greeted by an elderly man. He tells you that Celebi brought you back in time. Celebi brought this man back in time nearly 100 years. That was 60 years ago. He has been searching for Celebi ever since. He informs you that much of the technology you are familiar with has not been invented yet. The Pokédex, the Pokégear, even the Pokéball is years away. Apricorns, he tells you, are how trainers capture Pokémon. He informs you that to return home, you must find Celebi. This will be no easy feat. Remember, he has been searching for 60 years.

With your new Pokémon in an Apricorn and a mission on your mind, you set out.

On your first stop, you meet a boy named Harvey. He begins talking about the Pokémon League Challenge, and for a moment, you forget all about being trapped in the past. Dreams of battles and adventures fill your head. As you snap back to reality, you remember that you must concentrate on finding Celebi.

Unfortunately, you're not the only one tracking the legendary Pokémon. Team Chrono, a vicious gang of thugs is hunting down the creature as well. They hope to use it to manipulate time. With time standing still, they can run wild, catching rare Pokémon without a struggle.

50 years ago, people weren't spoiled by the technology that we have become so familar with. The Pokédex was once just a simple Journal. Pokéballs were designed based on Apricorns. Modern medicine mimics the herbal remedies of the old days.

On your journey, you'll meet many familiar faces. Professor Oak, Kurt, and many others all appear as their younger selves in Yesterday's Journey.

Features-
Over 50 new Pokémon.
The all new Tokon Region.
Dozens of new moves, as well as many of your favorites from Diamond and Pearl.
100 TMs, including the new move "Ride" which will let you mount your favorite Pokémon to get around.
(Semi) Custom tilesets.
New Items
Diamond/Pearl Music
Different sprites for existing Pokémon. (Aren't you tired of looking at the same thing in every RMXP game?)
An twisting plot that keeps the gameplay moving smoothly.

Credits
poccil, for Pokémon Essentials.
samson, for the new Pokémon sprites.
Fangking Omega, for overworld sprites.
4th Gen Matt, for the D/P music.
Me, for everything else.

I'll be doing 95% of the work for this game myself, but there are a few things I need help with.
The Ride animation sprite in the video is temporary. I need someone who can make a better one.
If anyone can make icons for the Pokémon menu, I need some made for all the new Pokémon.
There are a few other things I may need. I'll add them as I think of them.

This thread may not be updated regularly. I find that maintaining a thread distracts me from concentrating on the game itself. In fact, most of my games are doomed as soon as I post a thread. In order to keep Yesterday's Journey alive, I'm actually going to try to stay away from this thread. Haha! Enjoy!

ryushin5

In College YAY! :3
Years
OMG this looks freaking awesome dude i'm glad that your starting a new game wow I especially love that new move where you can ride a tauros awesome man. :D

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Just be careful when you design stuff... if it's in the past, it can't be too modern looking.

Still, it is pretty cool.

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Just be careful when you design stuff... if it's in the past, it can't be too modern looking.

Still, it is pretty cool.

I agree, but the way I see it is like this: 50 years ago, we had paved roads, we had refrigerators, we had street lights in some areas, we even had TVs. Houses looked pretty similar to what they do now, albeit a bit smaller. In this regard, not much as really changed.

What has changed is smaller technology. There were no cell phones or laptops. In the game there are no computers. The PC storage system is replaced by a physical storage system where your Pokémon's Apricorns are carried from Pokécenter to Pokécenter via Pidgey. The Pokégear is nonexistant, and the same goes for the Pokédex.

I'm hoping to make a more 50s-esque interior tileset though. Maybe with some ugly wallpaper and weird patterned rugs. Haha

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
How come this game is in showcase and plot and story idea?

I posted it here first because I didn't think I had enough to get it into the Showcase, but then I added it to Showcase as well since it turns out I did.

Anyway, I'd like this thread to be locked so all comments can be directed to the thread in the Games Showcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back