• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The original starters.

Now, player, which Pokemon do you choose?

• [img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/b/b9/Spr_b_g1_001.png[/img]

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • [img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/4/45/Spr_b_g1_004.png[/img]

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • [img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/e/e7/Spr_b_g1_007.png[/img]

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
For fans that started with the original games, this decision was likely the toughest choice you had to make as a kid. Who was the first friend you picked upon starting Pokemon Red, Blue, or Green Version?
yes i know rbg wasn't everyone's first game let's not ruin what i was going for here

Spr_1b_001.png
Spr_1b_004.png
Spr_1b_007.png

Years
I don't really pick it when I get the opportunity now, but as a kid, Charmander was the coolest of the three, and easily my first choice. Who wanted a walking plant or a water-shooting turtle when you could have a fire-breathing lizard that turned into a dragon? Back then, seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
^ ^^^^Exactly^^^^

Too bad that stealth rock/stone edge completely screwed Charizard out of versatile usability, haha. I miss the days of belly drum Charizard! (yeah yeah, that's Gen II....)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Since I didn't know any better (I was 6 1/2 years old at that time), I was so much in a rush to play my Pokemon Red version that I went to the first Pokeball and choose that Pokemon and that Pokemon turned out to be Bulbasuar.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I kept hearing that Bulbasaur was the easiest choice and the best choice so I went with Bulbasaur the very first time I played Pokemon Blue. After getting to Viridian City, I restarted and chose Charmander, and never looked back.

Also, Squirtle's back sprite used to scare me, and I didn't want to look at it. :C

Years
The first time i played pokemon blue i pick up squirtle, but the second type i played with Charmander, because i like his design and the fact that he look like a dragon, the only downside its in the begin because the first gymleader was brock, and the gymleader misty, so when i chose charmander, I had to have another pokemon that can fight with brocks pokemon, but after that was very good starter.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Training a Charmander in the original Red Version really taught me some valuable life lessons (such as patience, perseverance and belief in oneself) that I still hold with me today. It had a great impact on my life; it helped to shape the person I am and gave me the tools I need to achieve all of my successes. For the most part, that's why I hold the Charmander line (and Charizard in particular) so close to my heart.

images

Adrian!

Urban Adventurer
Years
Also, Squirtle's back sprite used to scare me, and I didn't want to look at it. :C

HAHAHAHAHA, that is the best thing I have ever heard!

I've always liked Bulbasaur, but it was too weak. I've always -wanted- to choose Squirtle, but I don't like how Blastoise looks. Then came the lizard with its tail on fire. It turns into a dragon, so I always end up with Charmander.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
It was always between Bulbasaur or Squirtle most of the time, don't get me wrong I've used Charmander too but I just found Charizard a little too over rated.

Keldeoh

It's so Flaaffy!
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2013
Team Squirtle all the way! When I was little, my favorite color was blue so I picked Squirtle without hesitation. He might have got the short end of the stick between the three starters when it came to their movepools, but nevertheless he was still my choice - and I never regretted it.

Years
Go Bulbasaur! :P I'll always choose Bulbasaur, and I always did as a kid, even though it has to be said that it definitely wasn't the best out of the three. I just didn't like going with the obvious "CHARIZARD IS DA BEST CUZ IT'S A DRAGUN" argument and wanted to deviate from that. Bulbasaur is slated for being weaker than the rest, and for being an 'easy way out' for the first two Gym Leaders.

Regardless, I've always liked Bulbasaur the most. Clearly. :P

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Like many others, Charmander was my first pick. It had that mixture of being cute and looking strong at the same time, and I was sure it was the best choice for me. Well, the first few hours of the game tried hard to convince that it wasn't, because I had a really tough time getting past Brock and Misty, especially since I had no knowledge of the mechanics or anything back then :p And while it eventually grew to be a strong fighter, I didn't use one for a long time after, just because of how tough the start proved to be for little 3 year old me :[

My first choice nowadays is, and probably will always be Bulbasaur. Additionally to really liking it design-wise (well, mainly the first two stages. I don't like Venusaur's design quite as much), it makes the first part of the game so much easier and fast to get through than with Charmander (even though its moveset has been updated to accomodate for the first gym), and the lazy side of me really likes that ;D

Years
I always liked Charmander the most, though Squirtle is also nice :) The only one I never liked, and sorry for that, is Bulbasaur, it's one of my most hated starters ever >.<

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
My first game was Pokémon Yellow, so you can guess my choice there. ;)

I then went on to get Blue a few months later and I'm sure I picked Squirtle. I always liked how bulky Squirtle was when fully evolved.

Bulbasaur was my next playthrough and probably one I least disliked. I just always seemed to struggle, even as a Venusaur. I'm putting that down to Psychic type's ridiculous ability.

Charmander is of course the patient route. It's good, but I just never got attached to Fire types that much. That and Charizard's Quad weakness to Rock (Yes I really was that competitive at that age) just annoyed me so much. Not even being able to learn Fly. Silly. Still good though.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I picked Charmander my first time, of course. I think all the original starters are grand, but something bothers me about Blastoise and Venusaur. They just...they're so big and bulky looking and it always made me uncomfortable, whereas Charizard was really sleek, fast, and smooth. So Charmander it always was! I have used the other two before, Venusaur in a solo run actually, and I enjoy them all. :)

also i'm an arsonist and i love fire clearly

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2016
I picked Squirtle. Made it easy against Brock. Plus, blue is my favorite color, and as a kid, you don't get so technical with the games.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Squirtle was my pick and it was my favourite of the three.

Charmander is my least favourite of those three, he's horrifyingly overrated.

Sirfetch’d

My first pick was Squirtle because in my 7 year old mind I had to pick it because it was on the front of the box haha. It is still my favorite gen 1 starter to this day.

Back