• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

My First Game: Need Advice!

Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2011
So I am starting a Pokemon project and I need advice. I really want to make it so you can face the past Gym Leaders and the Elite fours and I want it to have a story line.

So this is what I'm thinking:
The Hero is starting a new journey in a new region, sets on a quests, defeats the new gym leaders and becomes Pokemon Champion.

Of course.

After that, the hero travels to a place with 4 castles, which have 8 stages and when defeated, receive the key to the elite four of the castle. They must then defeat those people in order to beat the people. After the 4 castles are beaten, the player then finds an underground place which then he takes on the 4 champions plus the Ultimate Trainer.

So any advice you would like to give me?

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
These are the kinds of threads I like to see in this forum

Anywho, well, so far what you're thinking is really generic. You need a reason as to why the player would head out on a new journey, and defeat the gym leaders, etc.

You'll also want to include an evil team to cause conflicts in the plot to sort of spice it up a bit. However, to include one you need quite a unique reason as to why the evil team would be doing what they're doing. Wether it's stealing Pokémon, stealing items, whatever the case, you always need a reason.

So basically, try and think up an idea for an evil team, and sort of elaborate on why you're protagonist is heading out and going on adventure(s).

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I've got a few other plot suggestions for you:

ONE:
Your hero's parents were murdered, and your father's dying wish was for you to defeat the gyms. Your fathers old company, who stole Pokemon and resold them, is now out to get you.

TWO:
You live in the big city. You've been called by a man who instructs you to meet him at [enter city location]. He kidnaps you, as you are defenseless. When you are saved one year later by the police, you become a Pokemon trainer to ensure it does not happen again, and you want to challenge the gyms to become stronger. Can you guess who wants you dead?

Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2011
These are the kinds of threads I like to see in this forum

Anywho, well, so far what you're thinking is really generic. You need a reason as to why the player would head out on a new journey, and defeat the gym leaders, etc.

You'll also want to include an evil team to cause conflicts in the plot to sort of spice it up a bit. However, to include one you need quite a unique reason as to why the evil team would be doing what they're doing. Wether it's stealing Pokémon, stealing items, whatever the case, you always need a reason.

So basically, try and think up an idea for an evil team, and sort of elaborate on why you're protagonist is heading out and going on adventure(s).

Okay hows this:

The hero sets on a new journey to defeat the Pokemon League and claim the champion title and attempt to catch all Pokemon.

As for the Evil Team

Team Vista, is trying to steal all the Pokemon in the world to use them and claim the region for themselves and to that, they must have the Legendary Pokemon, Lugia and Ho-oh

What do you think?

Okay hows this:

The hero sets on a new journey to defeat the Pokemon League and claim the champion title and attempt to catch all Pokemon.

As for the Evil Team

Team Vista, is trying to steal all the Pokemon in the world to use them and claim the region for themselves and to that, they must have the Legendary Pokemon, Lugia and Ho-oh

What do you think?

I've got a few other plot suggestions for you:

ONE:
Your hero's parents were murdered, and your father's dying wish was for you to defeat the gyms. Your fathers old company, who stole Pokemon and resold them, is now out to get you.

TWO:
You live in the big city. You've been called by a man who instructs you to meet him at [enter city location]. He kidnaps you, as you are defenseless. When you are saved one year later by the police, you become a Pokemon trainer to ensure it does not happen again, and you want to challenge the gyms to become stronger. Can you guess who wants you dead?

This is a children's game not the mafia.

Last edited:

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
You still didn't provide a reason to why the protagonist would set out on the journey in the first place. It's a start though.

Years
Okay hows this:

As for the Evil Team

What do you think?

Okay hows this:

As for the Evil Team

What do you think?

This is a children's game not the mafia.

Hey, now let's not dismiss Riku's suggestion so harshly, while murder may be a stretch for a Pokemon game, at least it's not one of the "cookie cutter storylines" that have no place in a fangame.

Fangames exist because developers want to do better, they want to incorportate their own idea to better the franchise that they loved, if everyone was content with everything in the Pokemon games, and no one ever had an original idea, this section wouldn't exist. So, why go with something that's generic, as Cilerba said? Most trainers do set out on a journey to defeat the gyms and eventually, the Pokemon League, and most evil teams do want to steal Pokemon, even if only to strengthen their forces for their grand scheme, but when you take another step and add on to that, that's how a real plot is built.

How about something like this? It's sort of a starting point that you can build on from.

Spoiler:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
great suggestion by karpman.

I don't think trainers need reasons to go out beating gyms, it seems to be the culture of the games that 10year olds go out and become trainers.

But you need to put a proper plot. something that happens that adds drama to the plot (should happen no later than the second gym)

Idealy, the main character must have an objective at all times. He has a reason to travel city to city besides going to their gyms. Although it's easier said than done.

Back