• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen CoroCoro Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm hoping we get something half decent in next month's issue, the fact that we got Sylveon this month may effect it somehow in terms of how much more is revealed? idk does that usually happen. I'm half expecting the most that we'll get to be the revealing of Sylveon's typing, especially since they've got another eight months to give out information.

By that point it'll also be two months into the speculation period, which definitely improves the chances of there being a lot more information, given that they have less to hold off on as it gets closer. :3

AmericanWonderland

Sassmaster
Years
I honestly don't really care what Sylveon's type is, it's an eeveelution so I'm sure I'll love it! And I'm just excited in general for X and Y to come out, every new bit of information, or even just new theories, make me even more excited for the new generation!

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2015
This soooo much!

Of course, we already know that even by -looking- at Sylveon, there's not really much we can get, it's bodily features don't really reveal anything, and each and every eeveelution's colors usually match its typing. What's unusual here is that we have an eeveelution in which we can't necessarily find exactly what typing it is, because it's colors don't necessary fit a specific type. The closest thing it could possibly come to is either Normal or Flying, because Normal Pokemon don't have any distinct features about them, and Flying Pokemon more or less based on the type/weaknesses image that was posted either here or in the X/Y Discussion some time ago. XD

//wall of text

So far I'm leaning most towards Normal out of everything else. I mean, now looking at it, I want you guys to take a look at Serebii's B/W Pokedex, and go on "search by type" and click normal, and you'd find the results pretty surprising.

Now answer this question after you've looked at that list: How many normal types are Pink and White(or even just pink), and look similar in coloring to Sylveon here?

It has to be at least part Normal, if anything else.

With Eevee already being normal type, I don't see why a normal evolution would look so different

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Well more Sylveon info is coming next month, which means we're likely gonna get some news on evolution methods, and hopefully other old Pokemon evolutions. And if its a new type I would assume other Pokemon belonging to it would be revealed as well.

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2015
But again, Sylveon doesn't look so different after all. I mean, just throw some pink on Eevee and you would have Sylveon right there; minus the ears and all of that other fancy stuff. It's just that a lot of Normal types usually share similar coloring, giving away the type in itself, and the coloring is usually either white/pink/grey, something along those lines.

I have to disagree with you on that one. I think the only similarity between them I see is that they're both derivatives of dogs. The white and pink colour scheme is familiar to normal types though.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The only reason people think it's a Normal-type is because it looks like Audino, but it doesn't make any sense. The evolution of Eevee is susceptibility to the radiation around it, which comes from an evo stone or the environment. This way, how could Eevee change form and still be Normal? Normal is the "untouched" Eevee, with its DNA intact. If it changed form by evolving, it's no longer Normal.

I'll be very disappointed if it turns out to be a Normal-type, as the whole point of Eevee is to change type upon evolving... But I'm also 99% sure it won't be Normal-type. And I'm also a bit less sure it won't be Flying. Ask yourselves a question: how could it fly? I mean actually taking off by itself and flying. The absolute majority of the Flying-type Pokémon can take off by themselves. Birds and dragons flap their wings, Tropius uses its large leaves on its back, Mantine can glide over the surface of water after jumping out of it at high speed.

The only Flying-type Pokémon that needs the help of the wind to fly is the Hoppip line, but Hoppip and its evolutions weigh almost nothing by Pokémon standards, so they're light enough to float in the air and control their flight. Meanwhile, Sylveon weighs more than 20 kilos. He's the lightest of the eeveelutions, but he's not that much lighter than the rest, and not light enough to be caught by the wind, unless it's a hurricane.

Gyarados can't fly, but he's only Flying-type because of the legend of the carp.

If it turns out Sylveon is actually Flying, he'll have to be special biased, because most of the physical Flying-type moves are related to birds.

Guy

just a guy
Years
[...] Dragon - Does not look reptilian or dragon-like and has no visible claws or fangs
If you look at the left side of the scan here, you'll see Sylveon actually does have two small fangs. Not that it makes it any more likely to being a Dragon-type, but it definitely has teeth.

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2015
If you look at the left side of the scan here, you'll see Sylveon actually does have two small fangs. Not that it makes it any more likely to being a Dragon-type, but it definitely has teeth.

I think that the fact that it's the only eeveelution to have teeth must mean something. I also was thinking that maybe the streamers on Sylveon could be a reference to the whiskers of a chinese dragon. Perhaps this really is a dragon eeveelution a la Leafeon colour scheme (Heavy accent colour of typing).

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I think that the fact that it's the only eeveelution to have teeth must mean something. I also was thinking that maybe the streamers on Sylveon could be a reference to the whiskers of a chinese dragon. Perhaps this really is a dragon eeveelution a la Leafeon colour scheme (Heavy accent colour of typing).

I've said this earlier in this thread, but, some eeveelutions do have teeth or fangs. At least Umbreon here does, if you look closely:

Gary's_Umbreon_Shadow_Ball.jpg

But maybe Sylveon could still be a Dragon type; some people have speculated it can be a Dragon type because of the colors of it's typing on top of the CoroCoro page.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
It's not just really Audino, it's just about almost -every normal type out there- that has a similar color to Sylveon. It might be Eevee's natural eeveelution, or something of that nature. /shrugs. Plausible, not impossible or anything like that.

I'd like to see a pink Ursaring, or Tauros. Or Kangaskhan.

Only the fairy group (Clefairy, Chansey, Whismur and Audino) have similar colors to Sylveon. None of them have fangs.

A Normal-type eeveelution would have to be physical based or defensive, because the strongest special Normal-type move is lolHyper Beam.

With this kind of logic, people would consider Dratini a Water-type Pokémon on first sight. It's blueish, shaped like a snake and lives in water. But it's not Water-type.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'd like to see a pink Ursaring, or Tauros. Or Kangaskhan.

Only the fairy group (Clefairy, Chansey, Whismur and Audino) have similar colors to Sylveon. None of them have fangs.

Clefairy usually has an overbite snaggle tooth. Snubbull has some similar colors too, is fairy grouped, and has an underbite. Its not unheard of for them to have visible teeth. Teeth are rarely seen on any Pokemon unless its part of the outward design. If they didn't have teeth then eating anything hard for most of the mammalian Pokemon would be incredibly hard.

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2015
I've said this earlier in this thread, but, some eeveelutions do have teeth or fangs. At least Umbreon here does, if you look closely:

Gary's_Umbreon_Shadow_Ball.jpg

But maybe Sylveon could still be a Dragon type; some people have speculated it can be a Dragon type because of the colors of it's typing on top of the CoroCoro page.

I guess of all the previous eeveelutions, Umbreon having fangs makes the most sense since it's a dark type, and it's jet black colour gives it an evil/vampiric look.

Other than a dark type, the only eeveelution typing I could see being given fangs is a dragon type. I just don't understand if it is a dragon type, why is it so small and why does it look so cutesy?

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
i think that sylveon is a normal
as flying pokemon moastly have wings nd sylveon doesnt

also it has cute kind og look with those ribbons which makes him look like audino or skitty

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
We will maybe get a second Eeveelution with Sylveon since they are mostly released in pair.

Guy

just a guy
Years
We will maybe get a second Eeveelution with Sylveon since they are mostly released in pair.
They've only been released in pairs twice before, not exactly enough to consider it an ongoing pattern. In my opinion, if there were going to be two new Eeveelutions this generation, they would have released them at the same time given how popular Eevee and its evolutions are.

Also, based on the upcoming new movie and Pikachu Short, there have been no implications of a second new Eeveelution; CoroCoro itself said that in next month's issue we'll learn more "secrets" about Sylveon ─ no hints or silhouettes were given to imply there would be another one coming. I'm not saying it's impossible for them to pull out another surprise and say, "Surprise! Here's another Eeveelution for you, and you, and you too!" but I'm doubtful.

Not to mention, each new Eeveelution has so far been based off of one of the eight "special" types, with one remaining (Dragon). Now we've been given exactly one new Eeveelution. A possibility to finish what they started? Maybe. Although there is reservation due to it not appearing very dragon-like.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Nah, Sylveon is being touted as their wild card, and justly so. An eeveelution as demonstrated is major speculation fuel and creates a buzz for the games like no other, and to have another eeveelution along with it would just steal its thunder, even if its down the road. However I do think that there will be huge differences in female/male Sylveon's ala Jellicent, but how I do not know. As for the type, again, its probably a new type with the off chance of an old one. The fangs do give significance, because while Umbreon does have visible fangs, as mentioned its a dark type Pokemon. All the other eeveelutions do not however. The fangs are a prominent design characteristic, that much should be certain.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'm pretty sure that at least Eevee, Vaporeon and Flareon can have fangs as well, because they can learn the move "Bite" on level up, in which with bite, the target is bitten with "viciously sharp fangs". The fangs on Sylveon could be just for show, y'know. Or something. Not to say that it might not mean something, I'm just saying it might be just for show.

Hm, well, this is a thought, but:

Spoiler:

Rainbow in the background.

The Eeveelutions don't exactly match the colours of the rainbow (lacking orange, adding black and brown), but they are close enough. I'm going out on a limb and guess that the Eevee mini-movie will feature rainbows to some extent, and that Ninfia will be connected to them somehow.

This has been proposed before, but I think it might be worth bringing up again. What if Ninfia isn't a standard Eeveelution, but rather connected to all of them? An overarching Eeveelution capable of either mixing the capabilities of the others or downright change into them à la Multitype (wholly or partially). Its typing could be Normal when in "Standard form", but change into the type of the mimicked Eeveelution when transformed.

Either way, if Ninfia can be connected to rainbows, both linguistically and via the movie poster, I'm beginning to doubt that this can be a coincidence. There's something with Ninfia and rainbows, maybe.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Sure the other eeveelutions can use bit, but visual in the art is exclusive to Sylveon and Umbreon, that much should be addressed. As for the rainbow, I wouldn't make anything of it, anything cure and snugly will have a rainbow in its promotion one way or another. What really needs to be noted is that Sylveon isn't sparkly, but its ribbons are. Which means that if its not a shiny, and the sparkles are type specific, I doubt we have any sparkly characteristics in the existing types.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Sure the other eeveelutions can use bit, but visual in the art is exclusive to Sylveon and Umbreon, that much should be addressed. As for the rainbow, I wouldn't make anything of it, anything cure and snugly will have a rainbow in its promotion one way or another. What really needs to be noted is that Sylveon isn't sparkly, but its ribbons are. Which means that if its not a shiny, and the sparkles are type specific, I doubt we have any sparkly characteristics in the existing types.
Unless it's fairy dust... which doesn't really mean anything. The only types however that I would associate with sparkles that hasn't been taken are the normal type (usually the cutesy type, and I say usually as it too has Ursaring, Arceus, and Regigigas...), and the bug type as bug pokemon such as dustox and Butterfree have been shown to let out some kind of sparkly dust in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back