• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epitaph93

Intermediate Digidestined
Years
So I'm having a little issue with Gary's overworld at the intro of Fire Red. When you choose your name, then Gary's name it shows your overworlds at the top left, right? Well I've inserted the new Player OW and it shows up just fine, then I inserted Gary's, and it shows up just fine when you're playing the actual game, but when you choose Gary's name the old OW still shows up. Is there a second sprite for Gary that I'm missing? I couldn't find it in NSE or unlz

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
So I'm having a little issue with Gary's overworld at the intro of Fire Red. When you choose your name, then Gary's name it shows your overworlds at the top left, right? Well I've inserted the new Player OW and it shows up just fine, then I inserted Gary's, and it shows up just fine when you're playing the actual game, but when you choose Gary's name the old OW still shows up. Is there a second sprite for Gary that I'm missing? I couldn't find it in NSE or unlz

Gary's intro sprite is, for one reason or another, different than his OW sprite. NSE 2.X has it in bookmarks...offset is at 0x3E1980, palette at 0xE98004, and it's compressed.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2012
do you have a checkflag/setflag command anywhere in your script? i believe you can put one at the end to prevent it from reappearing.

Ignore my last post please I managed to correct myself by setting flags to the correct flag and person ids. Now the sprite DOES go away but not immediately after battle... If I walk out of view then its gone for good but if I don't walk away I can still rebattle... Any ideas?

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Ignore my last post please I managed to correct myself by setting flags to the correct flag and person ids. Now the sprite DOES go away but not immediately after battle... If I walk out of view then its gone for good but if I don't walk away I can still rebattle... Any ideas?

Use a hidesprite command and then set the flag that should work....:)

hidesprite 0x(person event no. in hex)

that's it! :D

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2012

Use a hidesprite command and then set the flag that should work....:)

hidesprite 0x(person event no. in hex)

that's it! :D
It seems I am getting the same error. Here is as it appears on xse...

'---------------
#org 0x1624F5
special 0x187
compare LASTRESULT 0x2
if 0x1 goto 0x81A7AE0
special 0x188
lock
faceplayer
checksound
cry 0x96 0x2
preparemsg 0x8177F9F '"Mew!"
waitmsg
waitcry
pause 0x14
playsong 0x2 0x2
waitkeypress
setwildbattle 0x96 0x5 0x0
setflag 0x807
special 0x138
waitstate
clearflag 0x807
special2 LASTRESULT 0xB4
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x8162558
compare LASTRESULT 0x4
if 0x1 goto 0x8162561
compare LASTRESULT 0x5
if 0x1 goto 0x8162561
setflag 0x232
waitfanfare
end

'---------------
#org 0x1A7AE0
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x162558
clearflag 0x232
goto 0x4169236

'---------------
#org 0x162561
setvar 0x8004 0x96
goto 0x81A9236

'---------------
#org 0x1A9236
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0x96
fadescreen 0x0
bufferpokemon 0x0 0x8004
msgbox 0x81A63C4 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"The [buffer1] flew away!"
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x177F9F
= Mew!

#org 0x1A63C4
= The [buffer1] flew away!

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
I'm back with more questions. ^^; All of these are on a FR ROM.

So, I'm making maps and test them out in the game, and click the world map. However, instead of saying that I was on Four Island, where I was, it told me I was in the Tanoby Ruins. It would also explain why there's a picture of them every time I enter a map of the sort. I don't exactly know when this happened. Could someone help?

Another one, tying into one I asked before. I'm using JPAN's hacked engine for the walking script, but I don't know how to set the number of steps needed to activate an event. After 500 steps, I want a message to appear.

Third question, is there a way to split where you start depending on gender, similar to RSE?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
It seems I am getting the same error. Here is as it appears in XSE..

Script cut for brevity

The setflag 0x807 is more important than you think it is. There is a level script associated with every such legendary wild battle. Look for it in Articuno and Zapdos' locations. You'll see a script which executes when flag 0x807 is set which is after the completion of the battle.

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Hey guys.

Here's what is up. I want to know how to make a script run when you step on a certain tile? I want to make events that run like, when you attempt to leave a certain area a message appears, and an applymovement turns the player around and sends them back a space. Thing's like that. I want tovknow this so I can script events without the player having to talk to someone.

I use Pokescript. That would be preferable please BUT XSE is also ok, although it is not my prefferred method. Thanks!

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Hey guys.

Here's what is up. I want to know how to make a script run when you step on a certain tile? I want to make events that run like, when you attempt to leave a certain area a message appears, and an applymovement turns the player around and sends them back a space. Thing's like that. I want tovknow this so I can script events without the player having to talk to someone.

I use Pokescript. That would be preferable please BUT XSE is also ok, although it is not my prefferred method. Thanks!
See how trigger events are programmed, as simple as that. Trigger events occur when stepping on a tile where the event is programmed to be and it points to a similar kind of script people events do when they're talked to.

If AdvanceMap can't do what you're looking for, you're going to have to repoint the event data to blank space yourself (with a hex editor) and add the wanted trigger events in there.

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
What map and bank is it? I'd like to take a closer look at what might be causing the problem.

It's possible that A-Map didn't save all the wild Pokemon data. Which version are you using?

Im using version 1.0.9 I hope that answers your question due the lame character rule.

dt200

Was and will be forever alone.
Years
How can I extract the sprites for an image like this? I want to extract some HG/SS sprites and I sprung over to the spriters resource but I don't know how to use them.. A little help appreciated thank you..!
openinglecture.PNG

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
Is the NPC's movement set to Face Down? If so, change it to No Movement.

After that I changed the NPC's movement set to No Movement, it's no problem anymore!

Thanks you very much~ :)

0. No, I can't find the ASM at all, it's hidden somewhere in the massive quantities of bytes in my hack, and I don't know how to find it. And my hack isn't released yet v.v
1. I'm sure there are. I found a midi file of the Pokemon theme song, but it was so long ago, I don't have the site. Just try googling around for what you want.
2. Technically speaking, that tutorial doesn't teach you how to insert 80x80 sprites...it teaches you how to resize an 80x80 sprite into a 64x64 sprite, and then insert it. Putting in ANYTHING that's 80x80 won't work, because sprites are 64x64 MAX. Just resize the 80x80 ones, and use Wichu's Sprite Editor
3. When a battle is completed, a flag is set, saying that trainer has been battled. From that point on, if that flag is set, scripts will skip over any trainerbattle command and go straight to what's after. If you want to clear that flag, use "settrainerflag 0xtrainer_number". XSE has it backwards...settrainerflag clears the flag, while cleartrainerflag sets the flag.
4. Can't help you there, I've never worked with cries.
5. I believe someone else has already answered that ;)

0) Nevermind, do you have continue script for trainer battle / wild battle losed ASM code?

2) Thanks, I knew. My PC can't run any need .net framework .exe file ( like Wichu's Sprite Editor, NSE .exe file ). If I run it will appear 0x0000007b error. I using UNLZ-gba, but I need to use UNKOWN 25 unused space to insert my Gen IV/V Pokemon/fakemon, UNLZ-gba will replace all 25 sprite form the sprite I inserted. Have a pokemon sprite editor no need .net framework and can insert 25 unused space sprite?

3) Oh thanks tried it work.

4) ...

5) Yes, you're right. Already has someone answered that.

Thanks you for answered me many question. :)

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
I'm back with more questions. ^^; All of these are on a FR ROM.

So, I'm making maps and test them out in the game, and click the world map. However, instead of saying that I was on Four Island, where I was, it told me I was in the Tanoby Ruins. It would also explain why there's a picture of them every time I enter a map of the sort. I don't exactly know when this happened. Could someone help?

Another one, tying into one I asked before. I'm using JPAN's hacked engine for the walking script, but I don't know how to set the number of steps needed to activate an event. After 500 steps, I want a message to appear.

Third question, is there a way to split where you start depending on gender, similar to RSE?

The image-before-you-enter type things are all based on names. If you never modified any names, for example, naming the Tanoby Ruins something else, or changed the name of any places, then it's most likely something in the display table has been overwritten. But it seems unlikely that only a few bytes would have been overwritten. I don't know what you have and haven't changed, but I'd compare your ROM to a clean Firered one, and compare locations of names and names used. I'm assuming, since Four Island already exists in-game, that you just used it's name, instead of renaming another name "Four Island"

For pedometer-type scripts, a peek in the manual will show you how to use built-in pedometers (there's five), or even a timer if you wanted some added realism. If you don't want to deal with that, make a script that first sets the variable to zero, then increments it by one every time you take a step. In the script, check if the variable equals 500, if it does, display the *ding* and warp out, otherwise, just continue on.

If you wanted to do that, you'll need to use alot of checkgender commands, but aside from that, it's very easy. The only thing that can't be conventionally done is flying to two different locations, depending on boy or girl.

Im using version 1.0.9 I hope that answers your question due the lame character rule.
1.0.9?!?!? That's super out of date o-o. Versions 1.92 and 1.95 are out right now, you should try and download some.

How can I extract the sprites for an image like this? I want to extract some HG/SS sprites and I sprung over to the spriters resource but I don't know how to use them.. A little help appreciated thank you..!
openinglecture.PNG
You don't know how to use them in what way? Generally, you just save the image, open it in paint, crop out what you need, and put it wherever you wanted to put it in your ROM.

It's just Viridian City, (3,1).
The only sprite I could think of that moves at all in Viridian is the old man, which moves from laying-down to standing up after you get your Pokedex. I just did a fairly extensive test, and when I removed Viridian City's level script, I could move the old man around at will. The thing is, you said this is affecting Person No. 7, and the old man is No. 4...For my ROM, Person No. 7 is just another NPC walking around Viridian.

After that I changed the NPC's movement set to No Movement, it's no problem anymore!

Thanks you very much~ :)

0) Nevermind, do you have continue script for trainer battle / wild battle losed ASM code?

2) Thanks, I knew. My PC can't run any need .net framework .exe file ( like Wichu's Sprite Editor, NSE .exe file ). If I run it will appear 0x0000007b error. I using UNLZ-gba, but I need to use UNKOWN 25 unused space to insert my Gen IV/V Pokemon/fakemon, UNLZ-gba will replace all 25 sprite form the sprite I inserted. Have a pokemon sprite editor no need .net framework and can insert 25 unused space sprite?

3) Oh thanks tried it work.

4) ...

5) Yes, you're right. Already has someone answered that.

Thanks you for answered me many question. :)
0. You mean code that lets you continue after you've lost both? It can't be done, like we said, without extensive editing, and I haven't managed to get to that level

2. If you want to replace the ?????????? sprites, you might want to check out Poke Edit Pro. All the ?????????? Pokemon point to the same sprite, so you need to edit those pointers to point to different sprites, and Poke Edit Pro can do that easily enough. Alternatively, you might want to look in getting a .net framework, if it's interfering with your hacking.

A side note: The ?????????? Pokemon don't get Pokedex entries, unless Jambo would like to detail how he gave those 25 slots dex entries in his 649 Patch...

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
The image-before-you-enter type things are all based on names. If you never modified any names, for example, naming the Tanoby Ruins something else, or changed the name of any places, then it's most likely something in the display table has been overwritten. But it seems unlikely that only a few bytes would have been overwritten. I don't know what you have and haven't changed, but I'd compare your ROM to a clean Firered one, and compare locations of names and names used. I'm assuming, since Four Island already exists in-game, that you just used it's name, instead of renaming another name "Four Island"

For pedometer-type scripts, a peek in the manual will show you how to use built-in pedometers (there's five), or even a timer if you wanted some added realism. If you don't want to deal with that, make a script that first sets the variable to zero, then increments it by one every time you take a step. In the script, check if the variable equals 500, if it does, display the *ding* and warp out, otherwise, just continue on.

If you wanted to do that, you'll need to use alot of checkgender commands, but aside from that, it's very easy. The only thing that can't be conventionally done is flying to two different locations, depending on boy or girl.

Ah, alright, I see what I did. I overwrote a chamber; I didn't think those were connected to the images. Thanks.

Alright, I'm looking at it and I still don't quite understand how to set the number of steps before an event happens. Would I use compare 0x8004 0x1F4? Relatively new to scripting, sorry if this is obvious.

They flying shouldn't be a problem for me. Where would I put the script?

Additionally, I'm trying to replace the Hoppip line with the Piplup line. When inserting Piplup's sprite, all goes well. However, when I try to insert Prinplup's or Empoleon's sprite, it tells me that the file is too large, so I repoint it. unLZ tells me that it repointed, but if I go to a different sprite and back, the result is Skiploom/Jumpluff with Prinplup's/Empoleon's palette. I'm assuming the sprite didn't repoint correctly, but I don't know how to fix this. All the tutorials I've read tell me to do the same thing, but I get the same result.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 23, 2013
Hello, I'm trying to write a script for pokemon ruby that does the following

1. stores the pokemon from my party so they can be recalled later.
2. removes my party
3. put in a new party
4. After a battle stores new party in a variable
5. remove new party and put in old party.

I would just like to know what code would I use to store, remove and re add my party? Is it a special (such as special 0xF5 or 0xEE(battle tower)), a special2 (special2 lastresult 0xC0 (daycare)),
or another type of command?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years

2. removes my party
3. put in a new party

I would just like to know what code would I use to store, remove and re add my party? Is it a special (such as special 0xF5 or 0xEE(battle tower)), a special2 (special2 lastresult 0xC0 (daycare)),
This sounds more liken an assembly job to me and I could help you out if you were asking how to do it in G/S/C because I'd like to do the same thing myself in my own hack. Anyway, party data is stored in RAM. So basically, you've to know where the party data is stored exactly, use an assembly routine for moving data from ram address to another (old party data will be saved elsewhere) and use another assembly routine for putting the new party data where the old data originally was.
It's not even this easy though because you also have to find a stable area for storing the old party data in but if there is a place for doing so, it won't be a big deal.

To begin with (assuming no scripting command for this exists), start studying ASM. This handy tutorial was for example uploaded to Romhacking.net a couple of days ago: http://www.romhacking.net/documents/628/

redriders180

Years
Ah, alright, I see what I did. I overwrote a chamber; I didn't think those were connected to the images. Thanks.

Alright, I'm looking at it and I still don't quite understand how to set the number of steps before an event happens. Would I use compare 0x8004 0x1F4? Relatively new to scripting, sorry if this is obvious.

They flying shouldn't be a problem for me. Where would I put the script?

Additionally, I'm trying to replace the Hoppip line with the Piplup line. When inserting Piplup's sprite, all goes well. However, when I try to insert Prinplup's or Empoleon's sprite, it tells me that the file is too large, so I repoint it. unLZ tells me that it repointed, but if I go to a different sprite and back, the result is Skiploom/Jumpluff with Prinplup's/Empoleon's palette. I'm assuming the sprite didn't repoint correctly, but I don't know how to fix this. All the tutorials I've read tell me to do the same thing, but I get the same result.

I recommend the following pseudo-script:

1.Make a script tile that sets a variable, say, 0x4000, to 0x0. This script would also begin the "pedometer" script, in the way JPAN talks about in his manual
2. In the pedometer script, add 0x1 to 0x4000 for each step. After adding, compare 0x4000 to 0x1F4, and if its true, branch to the PA saying "ding!" and warping you out, otherwise, end the script. Don't forget, with JPANs, you need to also use the specials that generate wild battles, since scripts that activate when you take a step overwrite the wild battle generator.

You'd put the gender-checking scripts wherever a gender-dependent event occurs. For example:

Spoiler:

That's just one small example, but all gender-dependant scripts will have the beginning in common: checking the gender, and then branching.

3. UNLZ.gba is designed to view every compressed image in the ROM, in order. Since you repointed the image, you placed it in a different location...however, it didn't erase the previous image. Basically, the Skiploom sprite is still in the game, although nothing points to it, so it's just taking up space. If you open up UNLZ.gba and scroll through, I can garuntee you'll find the Prinplup sprite somewhere, not necessarily around the other sprites. Also, if you test it in-game, you'll see it works fine :)

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2013

2. removes my party
3. put in a new party

This sounds more liken an assembly job to me and I could help you out if you were asking how to do it in G/S/C because I'd like to do the same thing myself in my own hack. Anyway, party data is stored in RAM. So basically, you've to know where the party data is stored exactly, use an assembly routine for moving data from ram address to another (old party data will be saved elsewhere) and use another assembly routine for putting the new party data where the old data originally was.
It's not even this easy though because you also have to find a stable area for storing the old party data in but if there is a place for doing so, it won't be a big deal.

To begin with (assuming no scripting command for this exists), start studying ASM. This handy tutorial was for example uploaded to Romhacking.net a couple of days ago:

Thanks miksy91 for your help. I will look into the link you sent me but stuff like that is a bit too advance for me at the moment. I'm probably going to look into how it's done in the game with places like the daycare and see what I can get from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back