• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's one thing you struggle while writing Fanfics?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Do you struggle on making the main plot, do you struggle on making at least a unique character or do you struggle on trying to write it out, Ex: Having Writer's Block of it or any other reason? For me, it's technically the main plot of a Fan Fiction I try to write, especially with the antagonist of the story or something.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
For me, it's technically the main plot of a Fan Fiction I try to write, especially with the antagonist of the story or something.

I can certainly see how that prevents you from writing.

That sort of defeats the point of writing, doesn't it? If you don't have a plot, which is essentially the story, then how do you write? Plot is arguably the most important part of any story, without it there is no story.

For me it's bouts of writer's block, which I'm dealing with right now. Well, it's not so much writer's block, and more of I don't have the physical time to write.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
For me it depends. I'm alright writing dialogue easily. It just everything else of the writing aspect of things. Like writing out things on what the characters are doing, whats happening around them etc; the idea is there most of the times, but it's the motivation and inspiration and energy to do that is sometimes needs to be found. Plot, still kinda early cause im thinking of a really really deep story, and if I run into writers block, it's either I work on sub plots and make "stalling chapters" to give me time to think. Making unique characters is well some what easy, it's just writing it out is difficult for some reason, action and thoughts wise. And my imagination is limited lots of the times.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I can certainly see how that prevents you from writing.

That sort of defeats the point of writing, doesn't it? If you don't have a plot, which is essentially the story, then how do you write? Plot is arguably the most important part of any story, without it there is no story.

For me it's bouts of writer's block, which I'm dealing with right now. Well, it's not so much writer's block, and more of I don't have the physical time to write.

Writer's Block is very annoying I can agree. Anyways with the plot, all I do is just slowly work on it and try to make future events of each story I do, unless if they turn out good.

For me it depends. I'm alright writing dialogue easily. It just everything else of the writing aspect of things. Like writing out things on what the characters are doing, whats happening around them etc; the idea is there most of the times, but it's the motivation and inspiration and energy to do that is sometimes needs to be found. Plot, still kinda early cause im thinking of a really really deep story, and if I run into writers block, it's either I work on sub plots and make "stalling chapters" to give me time to think. Making unique characters is well some what easy, it's just writing it out is difficult for some reason, action and thoughts wise. And my imagination is limited lots of the times.

Yeah, writing characters is one hard thing to do, since that we all try to make them seem realistic and impact readers. Also that when I try to convey imagery, I have to do a lot of detail to make it seem interesting.

Last edited:

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Yeah, I'm just going to echo this notion. I typically have anywhere from ten minutes to an hour of writing a night due to a boat-load of assignments and tests to study for, so the only time I can actually write is on the weekends, and that's if I'm not going out somewhere or doing something else.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
Years
Usually for me it's pacing. I already have a plan formulated into the basics, but then there's the in betweens to allow character development. Most of the time I seem to just be dragging things longer than neccessary simply because I haven't added enough detail. Another issue I would definitely take into account is making sure I'm not going overboard with ideas. It's not bad to have a lot of creativity, but simply adding an over abundance of something can make it seem like too much and then you lose track of everything.

Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2013
I struggle coming up with ideas most of the time; and a good flow, I find that hard to do a lot of the time.

Years
I'm dealing with a lack of motivation and insperation.
At the moment I have three projects going (four if you count the creepypasta that goes with my current rom hack project) on and I can't seem to get anywhere with them.

even if I buckle down with a "forget getting reviews/readers, I'm writing for myself!" mentality, I still can't get from point A to point B.

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
For me, it's character development. I can think about thousands of characters, but they won't really be what I think is "Ideal" to me. When I meant ideal, I meant that characters that actually stick with me. Perspective is also an issue for me, since I can't write in a good perspective without other complaining.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
For me it's canon consistency. I don't like really crazy fanfics where it's like... a Gears of War and Pokemon and Hey Arnold! crossover. I just can't see that.

Characters are also hard for me to develop (again with the canon consistency) as well. ><

Khawill

<3
Years
It's hard for me to get the right mix of characters, I have problems thinking of perfect chemistry characters. I also have a problem with setting, if the world isn't consistent with the character's personality then I start over. (Can't have poor farmers in a suburban neighborhood unless it is the main focus of the story ya know)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
It's hard for me to stay on one topic because I get so many ideas. I also have problems with trying to make it unique and not sound like something that is already out sometimes. Not all the time though.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
I have awesome ideas, relatively detailed and well thought out plot, as well as an ideal character created in my mind, but I just cannot bring myself to appreciate the outcome of all this, for some strange reason. But I have not gotten much feedback, so my worry about the quality of my writing is probably massively misplaced...

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Hm. The hardest thing for me is the actual story. I'm good with coming up with the main idea, the main characters, and the scenarios, but when it comes to writing the literal story, I'm at a loss.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
I can come up with an overarching plot, characters, a setting, etc... But when it gets down to actually writing it and figuring out the details of what happens next... Nope. I have a point a and a point b and no way to get from one to the other.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
I get intense burst of inspiration where I crank out ideas, characters, stories, you name it but they don't last very long. I often end up with fifteen open windows of notepad from where I've been writing down everything before it disappears. I'm grateful for the inspiration but it can be very frustrating when trying to actually complete something and not be able to drum up anything.

Sunbean

Breeeeeder
Years
I get intense burst of inspiration where I crank out ideas, characters, stories, you name it but they don't last very long. I often end up with fifteen open windows of notepad from where I've been writing down everything before it disappears. I'm grateful for the inspiration but it can be very frustrating when trying to actually complete something and not be able to drum up anything.

I have the same exact problem! It seems like I have too many ideas to organize and end up losing it all.

I also tend to be too inconsistent with details. Like, I'll get the color of someone's hair or even the name of a town wrong or something. I tend to forget small things like that often.

Oh, and Writer's Block, of course...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
The main problem that I have is knowing when to end it. A few months ago, I was typing up the last chapter of a fic and I just couldn't end the scene. It kept going on and on. Finally, I just had to close the window.

That's really my problem when it comes to writing. I just want to keep adding to the story. Like the one I'm writing now, there's a two-year time skip, and I want to write all the details of what happens in those two years. I have to force the muse to move on from that.

Then there's the fact that I can get distracted unless I write at a certain time or don't do research as I'm writing. But this creates another problem in that I get inspiration to write, but it's at a time where I'd be really distracted by something.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
I haven't written fanfiction in a while, but when I do I think the thing I find most difficult is placing my character in the world - when writing an original one. I'll come up with back story to allow me to justify to myself that this character really belongs in the place I've put them (or at least, in the place they start from). This can be easier in Pokémon, where there already is an extensive world and story, but then that also adds to my 'placing' problem. Because I'll then stress not just about their physical place, but more their place as a person - as in their role and who they are. I want to avoid them being a clichéd character doing the same things other characters in the world have done time and again.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
I have the same exact problem! It seems like I have too many ideas to organize and end up losing it all.

I also tend to be too inconsistent with details. Like, I'll get the color of someone's hair or even the name of a town wrong or something. I tend to forget small things like that often.

Oh, and Writer's Block, of course...

Yeah I have a mess of just stuff, it's a nightmare to go back and try to organize anything.

I have characters that I begin plan one way and then they morph into something else entirely. Anyone else do this?

Back