• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I love all of the work you put into this, and as a (mediocre) spriter myself, I know just how much of a pain it is, especially having to make custom ones. These are amazing, and if you don't mind I will be using these amazing Gen 5 pokemon, thank you so much, and good luck with you're very daunting task!
Of course you can use these. If I was the only one to use these, then there would be absolutely no point in me posting these at all.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2020
someone has the ability to do more sprites of the first , second and third gen?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

He already said this: He is concentrating on Gens 4 and 5 first because there are no (or very few, at least) good sprites for GBA for those gens. He will then do Gens 1-3 after completing 4 and 5.

Whereas Gens 1-3 have a set of official sprites which are of a good enough quality to be used. The styles may clash, but for the time being, they will suffice.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
622.png

623.png

624.png

Will you be extending the number of PC boxes to support the new Pokémon?
This isn't a ROM hack... it's a resource for ROM hackers to use.

i have ability to do first second and third gen

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2014
i have ability to do first second and third gen
25400362.jpg

All jokes aside, in regards to Jambo's comment about the clashing styles, I think they look like true gen III sprites!

I especially love the back sprites. They ooze detail and nostalgia.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
25400362.jpg

All jokes aside, in regards to Jambo's comment about the clashing styles, I think they look like true gen III sprites!

lol thank you, and believe me, I put a lot of effort into the custom backsprites. I look at the official Sugimori art of every single Pokemon to make sure details are correct.

As Jambo51 pointed out, yes, the Gen I, II, and III sprites will eventually be done. I have already chosen which sprite from which DS game will be resized for the first 386 Pokemon, and I have already assigned custom/alternate palettes to Pokemon that need them. After I'm done with Gen V, I will start with Gen I, then Gen II, then Gen III.

If anyone's wondering why I gave Magnezone a new palette when I was doing Gen IV, that's because it's the same new palette I did to my 80x80 sprites of Magnemite and Magneton. If anyone's wondering why I changed Gallade's red thing to maroon, that's because it's maroon in the official Sugimori art, and the B/W sprites of Ralts, Kirlia, and Gardevoir had maroon thingies instead of red, so I fixed Gallade for consistency. Basically, I have everything all planned out already, so when this resource is finished, all cross-generational evolutions will actually blend together, unlike the official games.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2020
I love 1-2 generation
the sprite of new hg and ss are very beautiful
what are a program to do a beautiful sprites?
i have paint, paint net, gimp are they ok?
is there a tutorial to do sprites?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
25400362.jpg

Agreed. It's not so much the sprites themselves as the pallets. The Gen 4 and 5 sprites tend to be very full of colour, whereas the gen 1-3 pallets in FR, at least, have a kind of washed out quality. That's the clash I was referring to. Eventually, of course, this will no longer be an issue. :)

This is not a criticism. I love Chaos Rush's sprites. They are excellent quality, and perfectly resized to fit the hacks we intend to use them for. It's just a comment on how grating it can be seeing old style Pikachu with its washed out pallet, alongside new Ivysaur with its rich pallet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I love 1-2 generation
the sprite of new hg and ss are very beautiful
what are a program to do a beautiful sprites?
i have paint, paint net, gimp are they ok?
is there a tutorial to do sprites?
I use plain old Paint. That is ALL I use.

This is the process I'm going through:
1. First, I've downloaded every sprite from Generation IV and Generation V from Veekun.

2. Next, I create master sprite sheets of 80x80 sprites for each Generation (except Generation V, since they don't have multiple sprites to choose from). These are the sprites I've chosen to be resized. Basically I review every sprite of that Pokemon from whatever game, choosing from either it's D/P sprite, the Platinum sprite, the HG/SS sprite, or the B/W sprite. For Gen I and II Pokemon, usually the HG/SS sprite looked the best to me, and for Gen III Pokemon it was no doubt the B/W sprites.

3. Then I go through the Sugimori of every Pokemon, and I change the color palette of Pokemon that don't match their Sugimori art. For Gen I and II Pokemon, I would choose either the HG/SS palette or the B/W palette. If none of them match, I would do a custom palette altogether (such as Parasect). Here is my master 80x80 sheet for Gen I Pokemon. These are the very sprites that I will be resizing.

4. Then I simply start resizing the sprites with plain old MS Paint, and assemble the sheet in a way so that it's compatible with Wichu's sprite editor. All done with plain old Paint.

For backsprites, I just go to my folder with HG/SS sprites I got from Veekun, so ALL of my backsprites are ripped from HG/SS. Gen V Pokemon have custom backsprites, that I either make by taking a portion of the B/W backsprite and enlarging it then cleaning it up, or I just make a custom backsprite altogether). I don't have a master sprite sheet for Generation V Pokemon, and that's because they all only have 1 sprite (except Samurott and Cottonee, which got new sprites in Black 2 and White 2). Sometimes I'll even do a custom front sprite for Gen V Pokemon, like what I did with Sigilyph.

alongside new Ivysaur with its rich pallet.
Speaking of Ivysaur, I'm having trouble deciding what the palette should be.
185px-002Ivysaur.png

So this is Ivysaur's official Sugimori art, probably made in around 2003-2004 when they were making new artwork of Gen I Pokemon in promotion of FR/LG. It was quite a new take on Ivysaur, since we've never seen it this dark before, we're used to it being significantly lighter. But since I'm trying to make Pokemon look like their official art, here's the Ivysaur sprite I currently have on the first post:
002.png

For all due purposes, I think this set of colors looks EXACTLY like the Sugimori art, which is cool. The sprite is based off of its B/W sprite:
Spr_5b_002.png

However you'll notice the darker color in my sprite, which I took from HG/SS:
Spr_4h_002.png

So basically, my Ivysaur sprite is the B/W sprite resized, but the body has been changed to HG/SS colors, while the leaves are B/W colors. For all due purposes, I think that color combination I made looks EXACTLY like the Sugimori art, which is what I'm aiming for. So why am I having trouble deciding then?

Well, first of all, the B/W palette of Ivysaur has it blend the best with it's evolutions. They're all relatively the same color in their B/W sprites. But with my palette thing, we have Ivysaur having a more prominent shade of blue than either of its evolutionary siblings, which I don't like. But then again, the Sugimori art is like that (having Ivysaur more blue than the others), so maybe I should just roll with it.

But is Ivysaur really supposed to be that blue? I mean, lets look at Ivysaur's Brawl model:
images

Definitely looks nothing like its official Suigmori art, but the B/W sprite matches this variation very closely.

And now for Pokedex 3D Pro:
2pqp8rd.jpg

He's definitely bluer than the Brawl model, but he's not quite as dark as the official Sugimori art, though its kind of hard to tell because the official Sugimori art of pretty much every Pokemon has a soft desaturated look, so maybe this is the real deal, and that this is how Ivysaur is supposed to look (oh great it has purple eyes -_-). I would like to point out that in Pokedex 3D Pro, Ivysaur looks a lot more blue than Bulbasaur's model (but they made Venusaur kinda bluish as well -_-), so perhaps the Ivysaur was always meant to look more blue than its siblings.

...or are they? Here's their Gen I artwork:
001Bulbasaur_RG.png
002Ivysaur_RG.png
003Venusaur_RG.png

2wfjyq0.png

So my question is, what the hell is Ivysaur's color supposed to be? Is Ivysaur supposed to be the same color as its siblings like it is in B/W (and Gen I Sugimori, and Brawl), or is it supposed to be darker and more blue like it is in Gen III Sugimori and Pokedex 3D? I'm probably just going to leave it as it is, since I'm basing every Pokemon off of its official current Sugimori art (meaning the FR/LG art, the HG/SS art, the R/S art, the D/P art, and the B/W art), but it's still annoying that Ivysaur has this ridiculous amount of color inconsistencies.

I would like to hear your guys' opinion on what color you think Ivysaur should be.

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
As you've basically pointed out, there really isn't a true colour for Ivysaur due to constantly alternating. While you'd think the B2/W2 palette would be the most accurate since they were the latest 'main' Pokemon games, the Pokedex 3D Pro begs to differ. I'd say it's up to you, but I personally love the current palette you're using, much more than the more greenish colour. Anyway, I think you're a really good spriter and I can't wait to see more. :D

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
I've also noticed the same type of color discrepancy with Wartortle. Sometimes blue, sometimes purple. I've just liked to think of it as a regional thing, or age, breed, etc. Still odd to me though.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I've also noticed the same type of color discrepancy with Wartortle. Sometimes blue, sometimes purple. I've just liked to think of it as a regional thing, or age, breed, etc. Still odd to me though.
Well there was definitely some color inconsistency with Wartortle in the past, but that seems to have settled with the B/W sprite.

In Wartortle's Gen I artwork it is clearly light blue, and in its Gen II sprites it is also light blue. In Ruby/Sapphire it is also light blue. But then in FR/LG they decided to make it purple-ish, but the Gen III artwork had a more darker blue color, albeit it was kind of a faded blue. In Pokemon Emerald (which had sprites based off of Ruby/Sapphire) they actually bothered to change Wartortle's color palette to its FR/LG palette. All the Gen IV sprites uses a purple-ish shade similar to its FR/LG and Emerald sprites.

But in the Black/White sprite, Wartortle received a completely new color palette, and it matches the current Sugimori artwork spot-on. So unlike Ivysaur, Wartortle is no longer a problem, since we have the official Sugimori art and the most recent in-game sprite matching pretty closely.

I've decided however, that my sprites will be strictly based on the Sugimori art, so I'm going to leave Ivysaur as it is.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2014
I believe the change in Ivysaur's pallete can be tracked using simple Punnett Squares. If I am correct, the Green color is the dominant allele due to the abundance of green ivysaur throughout the games.

Now for educational purposes we'll differentiate the two alleles using this key:
G=green g=blue

Now if two carriers of the recessive gene mate and have an egg, what are the chances it will be blue?

Draw your Punnett Square:
punnett.png

Therefore the chances of it being blue are 25%.

feel-like-a-sir-template.jpg

So yeah, I guess go with green. It was the most abundant one if you look back on the sprites, plus the minisprites are green.

But if you wanna be different and stand out, go blue! :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
So yeah, I guess go with green. It was the most abundant one if you look back on the sprites, plus the minisprites are green.

But if you wanna be different and stand out, go blue! :)
Actually looking back on it, Ivysaur should be blue. Ivysaur's Generation I Sugimori artwork, which is probably the very first artwork of Ivysaur ever, is blue. That was before the anime came along and tried to make it green. Then in Ivysaur's Gen III Sugimori artwork, he made it blue, again. Ken Sugimori has made Ivysaur blue in both artworks he made of it, while stupid anime artists and game pixel artists tried to make it green (except the HG/SS artist, thank you), but Ken Sugimori has consistently drawn it blue. Therefore, Ivysaur shall be blue!

huge rant about how some of the B/W palettes and sprites are stupid (some, not all)
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2015
Hey, you're awesome for making these sprites.

I was wondering where you got those menu icons for the 4th gen pokemon in your Signature.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
yay more sprites weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

625.png

626.png

627.png

628.png

629.png

if anyone is wondering why I made the ear thingies on the backsprite look like that, this will explain why

630.png

631.png

Also for anyone that is curious, here is the overall progress with Generation V:
n1qwpd.png

Does anyone have any suggestions for Reuniclus poses?
579.png

There's no way I'm fitting that into 64x64 pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back