• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Hugh's Design so Similar to the Male Ace Trainer from HG and SS?

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
Years
I do a little bit of Trainer spriting, and I just so happened to notice how similar in design Hugh and the Ace Trainer from HG/SS were. I put the two side by side, and wow.

Look for yourself:
Spr_HGSS_Ace_Trainer_M.png
Spr_B2W2_Hugh.png

The really only differences are that they have slightly different shoes, different hair, Hugh has a black belt that ties on his bag, and slightly different jackets. And of course different poses.

Other than that, they have the same hair color, same jacket color of red and white and style, PokeBall in same hand, finger less gloves of the same color, and same eye color.

And! I tested to see if the colors were exactly the same. The shading on the jacket and pants are a bit off, but hair and main jacket colors are EXACT.

Is Hugh's sprite just a recycled, reposed, and revamped male Ace Trainer from HeartGold and SoulSilver?

Coincidence? I think KNOT!

*~Maelstrom~*

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I read from somewhere else that there's an anime character that looks like Hugh and even their personalities are similar! :O

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Wow, good observation. :)

The combination of red and the darker shade of blue go well together, and give off vibes of power and energy. I think it's possible that the same sprite artist was in charge of making both sprites, and perhaps that exact #hex of red was in his palettes as a shade of red to use for clothing.

Are there any other sprites that use the same exact shade of red? I'm going to quickly investigate.

Nope! At least not in GenIV. I thought characters like Silver or Lance, who made use of the general color combination, might. But I couldn't find the exact code.

Very, very, very strange... as much as I want to believe it's a coincidence, it's hard to imagine that so many exact hex codes would line up.

Back