• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which Starter do you choose in G/S/C?

Which Starter do you choose in G/S/C

• Total voters

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I put Totodile in the poll, but I love him and Cyndaquil equally. I flipped between both because they're both awesome-looking and super adorable.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
I think I went with Cyndaquil because a friend told me he was really good, but I probably did another run with Totodile too. xD

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
This gen is what turned me on to using the fire type starters. When I was young, I would always use Bulbasaur for RBY but with this gen, and all after, i've always used the fire type. Cyndaquil is an amazing pokemon and it would probably be one of my favorite starters in general.

tnfsf11

It just looked so badass and learned some awesome moves like bite & earthquake, I named it Sandyclaws since I taught it dig to be used overworld (first time play mistake) then changed it to Toto.

However I didn't like how its color got darker as it grew like in the Gold version (that I played), but I was glad they changed its color to be bright blue/cyan all the time in Crystal :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
The first time I played Pokemon it was Gold and I picked up Cyndaquil, then I voted on it.

Cyndaquil is indeed the best starter in that generation.

In HG/SS I would vote on Totodile, though.

Years
I actually remember that I chose Totodile mainly because I thought it looked so cool! Who wouldn't pick a Crocodile Pokemon. xD Even today, I'd still pick Totodile in HGSS because of that cuteness.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
I always picked Cyndaquil. Only made sense to me because you run into more grass time Pokemon than anything else early on in the game. Always picked Charmander as well for the same reason. That, and the fact Charizard is the all time best Pokemon! lol

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2013
For the first time i played, I chose Totodile. I made it into a Lv.100 tank whilst my other team members are 15 Levelers.
I rarely chose Cyndaquil, but my friends seems to like it so much.
I also used Chikorita once in a while, for a challenge in Falkner's gym... Oh god...

JawDane

Here for the Nostalgia
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
I chose Totadile. Simply because I knew he/she evolved into Feraligatr.

Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2013
mines cyndaquil or chikorita. chikoritas a literal wall and cyndaquil is adorable and fast as all hell. totodile is all attack and defense, a combo i dont really like...

Daixtey

The Sin of Joy
Years
I normally pick Totodile as starter because he is just my favourite pokemon of them all. I like the design of him Hes cool locking and also dangerous and envolves in feraligatr a even higher form of that. Also liked the combo of Physical attack and defense because im the more attacking kind of trainer. The only thing I dont like is the second form of him. And another argument why im chosing him is that he reminds me of myself.

Bartolomeo

Youtube = Crap
Years
I generally go with Cyndaquil. And totodile sometimes. Mostly because I adore their last evolutions. :p I dislike Meganium, tbh. It just doesn't look as kick-ass as the other two, imo.

Years
I almost always choose Totodile because he is absolutely badass and cool. He's strong when he evolves and has a type advantages over most of the bosses in the game. He's also easy for me to raise. I sometimes choose Cyndaquil because I have a soft spot in my heart for fire type Pokemon. I rarely choose Chikorita, but I may try using her soon to give my self a challenge next time I play through Crystal.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
When I first played GSC, I went with Chikorita. I just wasn't a fan of the fire types back then, and when I did play Crystal, I chose Totodile. But any other time, I would choose Chikorita over the other 2 because I used to like the Grass types a lot.

Back