• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Pokemon Discussion (Revealed in cover of Coro Coro!)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Landorus looks cool as a tiger, though I think they should've made it a fox to fit with the whole inari theme, oh well.
I find it interesting that they chose these three forms for them...

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I found this as a speculation on the background and origins of the new formes.

"(This isn't stated in the magazine.) Fan speculation on our forums is that the three new formes are inspired by Aztec legend. Tornadus is Huitzilopochtli, who after it died became a green and purple hummingbird, Thundurus is Quetzalcoatl, who after it died became a serpent, and Landorus is Tezcatlipoca / Tepeyollotl, a jaguar. In the Pokemon AR Searcher screenshot on the left side of the 3rd scan and in the anime poster on the right side of the 7th scan, you can see each of them resembling those animals (a bird, a snake, and a jaguar)."

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Also Cheren being the 1st Gym is a letdown cos he said in B/W that he "wants to get stronger". He was one of my fave characters in Unova, and why did they give him a Patrat? It's such a weak Pokemon. So weak that I can beat him with just my starter. But enough ranting, I love the new features.

I agree with this. It just makes no sense at all. Hopefully there's an explanation as to why he's the first gym leader in the games though.

Now that I can see the new forms...ehhhhhhhh my opinion isn't changed much. I like Landorus as the tiger...thingie, but I don't like the way his eyes look lol. Looks like he'll start babbling and drooling like Taz in Loony Toons. I still think Tornadus looks dumb as a bird. You can't go from a pissed off looking genie to a happy bird. And that color scheme...even though I think the post above mine gives us more reason as to why these forms are the way they are, that puke green and medicine purple doesn't work on a bird. Thundurus looks eh.

Bianca actually looks cute now! Yay! Aaaand Cheren looks too plain. :( Oh right. Normal gym leader. Pff.

Years
Bianca actually looks cute now! Yay! Aaaand Cheren looks too plain. :( Oh right. Normal gym leader. Pff.

Yeah, I love how Bianca looks all nerdy now.

Cheren looks so different without the specs, I assume he's wearing contacts.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I adore the look of the new scared beast forms of the Kami trio; they look so powerful and inspiring! Although my main interest is how they're going to implement these new forms into the games; I can't see them being a main part of the story due to the whole Kyurem plot, so how else will they be introduced? I think their stat increases are certainly interesting; Tornadus seems to get the best deal out of it by far though. xD

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
Years
Regarding the Origin/Basis for the new Thundurus/Landorus/Tornadus Formes

Thundurus is Quetzalcoatl "The Serpent"
Landorus is Tepeyollotl "The Jaguar"
Tornadus is Huitzilopochtli "The Hummingbird"

Went from Oriental to Meso-American references. Quite interesting indeed. (corrected by magmaruby)

Last edited:

junior403

The Show Must Go On...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
Also Cheren being the 1st Gym is a letdown cos he said in B/W that he "wants to get stronger". He was one of my fave characters in Unova, and why did they give him a Patrat? It's such a weak Pokemon. So weak that I can beat him with just my starter. But enough ranting, I love the new features.

At first, I also thought this made no sense at all, since you could battle his Pokémon at lv. 65 on the previous games.

But then this hit me: What if these low-leveled Pokémon he's got in B/W 2 don't mean he's been downgraded?
Perhaps he figured he should help new trainers out instead of being a total powerhouse, and decided to be one of the first (probably the first) Gym Leader(s) of Unova to encourage/give them advice.

I find that very possible, especially after those B/W scenes in which Alder asks Cheren if being the strongest trainer was really all that mattered, and told him there could be other options.

IDK, this theory seems to make sense to me.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
It's 2012, lol.

TBH, I don't know why they'd do this, but it's a nice change of pace. I can't get the new formes though, I just have a DS...Too bad. I liked Tornadus's forme.

Years
Uh you mean MesoAmerican right, Hispanic are the spanish and present day spanish speaking latin America, not the Mayan, or Aztec's ^_^
Either way I find it nice that they reference the fact that god's sometimes take Animal forms.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
Years
It's 2012, lol.

TBH, I don't know why they'd do this, but it's a nice change of pace. I can't get the new formes though, I just have a DS...Too bad. I liked Tornadus's forme.

Possibly a reference to Johto's beast trio or possibly just showing off they that they know about American history. They have referenced nuclear bombs with Victini, our country's symbol with Braviary and now this to reference the history of Texas and the Mayans/Aztecs/Incas.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
Years
Ummmmmm...since when is Victini a nuclear bomb?

Appears at the bottom of the Liberty Garden Tower.

Well the Liberty Garden Tower is the Statue of Liberty.

Victini is a Fire/Psychic type.
Victini's Dex Entry: It makes limitless energy inside its body. It releases this energy on any Pokemon who touches it.

Limitless energy that is extremely volatile? Fire/psychic type? This is a reference to nuclear energy.

Victini also references Victory and possibly also VJ day, the day we celebrated Japan's surrender in WW2 after nuking two of their cities.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Appears at the bottom of the Liberty Garden Tower.

Well the Liberty Garden Tower is the Statue of Liberty.

Victini is a Fire/Psychic type.
Victini's Dex Entry: It makes limitless energy inside its body. It releases this energy on any Pokemon who touches it.

Limitless energy that is extremely volatile? Fire/psychic type? This is a reference to nuclear energy.

Victini also references Victory and possibly also VJ day, the day we celebrated Japan's surrender in WW2 after nuking two of their cities.

No, it shares its energy. It's not volatile. The idea of Victini being a bomb is a weak theory, not well-supported at all.

On-topic, I like the switch-up of historical references. It makes them feel less one-dimensional, and more like individual Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I actually like the Kami trio's new formes (Tornadus and Thundurus in particular). But I don't get why Landorus' new forme looks like a tiger when it's a half-Flying Pokemon.

Years
What cat is Landorus, I hear Tiger, but I also hear some say Jaguar...to me it looks a bit of both...why are legendary cat Pokemon so difficult...
Either way I like it, it's like a flying cat!

Years
God trio( as I'm calling them now) might have turned to Animals so they may keep better track of humans, and possibly that might be why they appear in the Ar Searcher, tracking the player's moves...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Possibly a reference to Johto's beast trio or possibly just showing off they that they know about American history. They have referenced nuclear bombs with Victini, our country's symbol with Braviary and now this to reference the history of Texas and the Mayans/Aztecs/Incas.

Doubt its a reference to Johto's trio seeing as only Landorus is a Beast. Tornadus is a Bird, which would be Kanto, and Thundurus is Dragon like which has no region smaller trio and can't match Sinnoh as they were 4th Dimension bodies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Uhh if there's such a thing as a sabretooth tiger then I think it's that or at least looks most like a tiger :x

Back