• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What ruins Pokemon games for you?

Pinta77

So I have played pokemon ever since crystal version came out. And while I love it, there are a few things that just irritate me and almost ruin the game for me. Here is a list of mine. Post your own list if you would like to share =)

-generations 1 & 2 are pretty much useless now in the competitive world. They can't tranfer over to the newer games, and many of them don't save anymore. Yes, you can replace the battery, but just doing that will make you have to start from scratch anyway.

-spiny ear pichu: It was super cool and a great idea, but you can't transfer it to black and white. This makes it pretty much useless which isn't cool since it was such a pain to get anyway.

-same ole' same: 8 gyms, elite four, team -insert name here-. The only thing really changing is the pokemon and scenery, and dont get me wrong, the scenery is gorgeous, but we need a new story. We've seen from the mystery dungeon games that they can make a decen stor line, so come on.

-Surfing Pikachu: apperently you cant transfer surfing pikachu to black and white because it knows an hm, surf. VERY ANNOYING!

So ya, these are just a few minor things that almost ruin the game for me. What about you?

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Most of yours aren't really a big deal to me, to be honest. Gens 1&2 were so long ago and they have compatible remakes so I really see pride as the only advantage to being able to transfer them across incompatible platforms; and the event Pokemon really aren't much of a game-changer in my eyes.

However, THIS one:
-same ole' same: 8 gyms, elite four, team -insert name here-. The only thing really changing is the pokemon and scenery, and dont get me wrong, the scenery is gorgeous, but we need a new story. We've seen from the mystery dungeon games that they can make a decen stor line, so come on.
Team Plasma WAS a step in the right direction, as was Cyrus in Platinum towards this, but still, it was the same old "eight gyms" structure. The games don't offer us anything new in any department except for Pokemon and regions. The gameplay is what gets me the most. It's boring! They haven't added anything significant to the battle system since Gen III, just made tweaks, and nothing that wholly affects gameplay; the physical/special split didn't really change anything but what attacks it was feasible for any given Pokemon to have.

The repetition really is the only thing killing the franchise for me. It isn't fresh and new anymore, and like I have said many a time on this forum already, the series needs a new direction to continue its relevance.

Years
  • Seen Oct 15, 2012
I don't like HM moves. I'd rather have them as items. I don't like to waste a space for them on my pokemon. I usually have separate pokemon only for HMs but that hinders my team. Yeah, I hate HMs.

LividZephyr

Years
I don't like HM moves. I'd rather have them as items. I don't like to waste a space for them on my pokemon. I usually have separate pokemon only for HMs but that hinders my team. Yeah, I hate HMs.
Well, I personally think there should be a few HMs in-game. Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength. Bam. You have 24 moveslots on a 6-member team. Surf is great in battle and you'd use it anyway, and Strength is good. Cut and Fly are just okay.

Waterfall can be a Surf extension via an item, like you said. Dive can be scuba gear rental or something. Flash can be, you know, a high-powered flashlight.

I really like what they did in Black and White 1 by having fewer HMs and still keeping the necessities. They got rid of Rock Smash, Defog, Whirlpool, and Rock Climb because they all sucked (Rock Climb was good in battle but crappy otherwise). I hope future games continue that trend, because having to drag an HM slave Bibarel through Sinnoh's Victory Road was just stupid.

Yes, I'm opinionated about this too xD

Sirfetch’d

CHEATING!!!! I never do it, but cheating ruins all pokemon games for me. I don't know why someone would hack a Pokemon and claim it, it makes me so mad. I am not saying all AR codes are "bad cheating" some are good, like infinite items, but hacking a Pokemon is definitely the worst thing and totally ruins the game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The Poke Transfer not transferring over past items somewhat ruined the games for me. What really ruined them was how Pokemon transferred over via Pal Park and Poke Transfer can't return to their old games (they should've added that the Pokemon can return to their original game only if they know the moves that existed in the previous generation).

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
They don't really ruin the game for me, but I started hating HMs recently, since well, I got tired of teaching my water Pokemon Surf/flying Pokemon Fly. There are plenty of moves I could have instead of those. Example: Blastoise knows Hydropump, so if I teach him Surf, I'd have to choose between those two, or teach him both, which is bad. That's why I started using HM slaves recently. But it does get tiring whenever I need to use them. Especially since they take 1 precious slot in the party.

Years
Walking through a cave and seeing the same Pokemon over and over to haunt you for days. Zubats, freakin' Zubats everywhere.

Also, having to grind a lot. In 5th gen I found myself having to grind each Pokemon probably 5-10 levels before I even wanted to attempt the Elite Four, and I still had to use a ton of Full Restores/Revives, etc.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Nothing could possibly ruin the games for me! :O

But in all honesty it was, for awhile, the trading and internet stuff that really bugged me. I never had anyone to trade with and when the fourth generation rolled around I had no internet connection. So I wasn't able to like experience everything there was to experience. But I've gotten into the wifi connection now, so I guess I can't recall anything that does bother me at this point.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Nothing ruins the game for me really. There are various things I don't like, but nothing to really ruin the whole game and make me stop playing. The only games in the series that I would say are ruined for me are Diamond and Pearl. The slow speed it runs on makes it virtually unplayable in my eyes, so I rarely ever play them.

LividZephyr

Years
I just thought of another one: Ridiculous evolution methods. See: Milotic. Or Porygon-Z which needs to evolve twice by trading. I really wish it was a lot more simple to evolve some of the good Pokemon... that would make some of them more usable, especially in older generations where it's hard to find a trading partner. Though Nintendo Wi-Fi also annoys me since it only works with ancient WEP keys and not with the more modern stuff that's used everywhere now.

Really, if something prevents me from using a Pokemon I want to, then :/

Oh - and friendship resetting with trades can be annoying. Let's hope they don't do a trade evolution that later evolves again via friendship......

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I just thought of another one: Ridiculous evolution methods. See: Milotic. Or Porygon-Z which needs to evolve twice by trading. I really wish it was a lot more simple to evolve some of the good Pokemon... that would make some of them more usable, especially in older generations where it's hard to find a trading partner. Though Nintendo Wi-Fi also annoys me since it only works with ancient WEP keys and not with the more modern stuff that's used everywhere now.

Really, if something prevents me from using a Pokemon I want to, then :/

Oh - and friendship resetting with trades can be annoying. Let's hope they don't do a trade evolution that later evolves again via friendship......

I really gotta agree with this one. Especially trading. I've never been able to play with Alakazam, Golem, Machamp or Gengar (Which is one of my favorite Pokemon), when playing Gen 1.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
The only thing that would ruin a Pokemon game for me would be terrible pokemon. Personally I found Gen V's pokemon quite ugly in general but it did have its highlights and I adapted to the new pokes over time. If there were to be a new generation with Pokemon that were just so bad that I didn't like any, that's when I'd probably refrain from playing that game. (Which if I reflect is unlikely, but possible!)

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
The one thing that ruins the Pokemon games for me is the ONLY WEP acceptable connection with Nintendo Wi-Fi. I used to have that type of connection but ever since my parents upgraded the internet, it's WPA, which the games and my DS doesn't support. So that ruins my chances on Wi-Fi events and uploading battle videos. I may never get Wi-Fi ever again at this rate...

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
The only thing that irritates me now is the lack of creativity for Pokemon names now and days. Like the new gen its a pigion and its name is like pigion LOL. I mean really Dx? How unoriginal is that x.x. What will next gen be a Pokemon thats a chair and name it Chairy?

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
I love the games a ton, but I wouldn't neccesarily be opposed if they shook things up a bit. Like a "Team Rocket" mode would be awesome. They games are repetitive, but they manage to shake things up just enough to keep me playing. I am still a homer for the older games though, so I wish they would be more playable now a days.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I'd have to agree with PokeRaidenFighter on this one. My house has WPA security, meaning anything older than a DSi can't connect. I screwed up one of my routers trying to get WEP on it.

Other than that, I haven't really encountered any major delimmas with the games.

Years
The things that annoy me about the Pokemon games are:

HM Moves - I hate having to teach one of my strong Pokemon a weak move just to cut down a bush. *Looks at Pokemon Logic meme*

Wi-Fi - I don't have wi-fi access for a reason, it's cos I've got WPA connection and because I don't have a DSi/3DS I can't connect, therefore meaning I miss out on trades and event Pokemon.

Evolution Methods - I agree with LividZephyr here. My brother never lets me borrow his DS so I often have to hoard it if I need to evolve something through trade. Also, raising happiness to evolve can take ages, especially in my case cos I just can't seem to get them to evolve.

infosoft

The pokemon scientist!
Years
HM Moves - Other than surf, all the HM moves are really bad. You end up geting an HM slave, which takes up a space that could be used by a good pokemon.

GTS - I hate it when I want to trade a pokemon to complete the dex, but the GTS is filled with lv1 mewtwos and negotiations is filled with die hard legendary trades only people.

End Game without rebattles - Games like pearl where you could't fight anyone again got boring quick.

Back