• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nostalgia or Newer Stuff?

Nostalgia or the New Stuff?

• Nostalgia

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Newer Stuff

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I Like Both

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • I Really Don't Care, I Just Play Pokemon in General

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Nostalgia for the fact on how much Pokemon meant to me as a kid and how it impacted my life. Good memories playing games revolving around Pokemon with my childhood friends.

Newer stuffs for the fact that they made something we the Pokefans love and they upgraded them to make them much better than when they were just made.

I want to say both, because they both have did great stuffs for me, especially during my childhood.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
both ^^ i liked,like and will like pokemon in all generations. new stuff are cool in the way that it prevents me from running out of things to do in pokemon so i wont get bored while nostalgia holds a special place in my heart as if it werent for them i wouldnt have taken up pokemon in the first place :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2014
The nostalgia is special for me, but the new stuff makes a "new wind"... I think that :3

tnfsf11

The old games were awesome & not because of nostalgia as I've only started playing Pokemon a year ago, the new ones are more rich in features (& Pokemon) so that makes them cool yet more complicated than the old ones, especially when evolving old Pokemon to new evolutions made recently.
When speaking of the Anime I've had my fair share of nostalgia and looking forward to see new stuff and desperately hoping for Ash to mature :P however I don't want the Anime to completely ditch all the old Pokemon because it's good to have a look-back every once in a while.

MORAL: Every era was unique in its own way, along with its pros and cons, & that's what I like about Pokemon, variation.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
the originals will always have a special place in my heart, but the newer games are really good as well, especially with the length and gameplay aspects. so ill say both because each generation has its quirks.

Years
definately both. the new games have so much more exciting things to explore but you can never beat re-playing your first game. it jsut feels so good to re try and better yourself the second time around so yeah definately both!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I really like both a lot, you just have to keep an open mind about it.
Maybe i like some of the older pokemon more, but i really love some of the concepts and gameplay mechanics they included in the newer gens, so yeah ^^

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I guess I like both. The older generations remind me of how much fun I used to have as a kid, which is something I don't get from the newer games; they're enjoyable, but they've lost that spark of excitement...or perhaps it's just me growing old and bitter. But I would most definitely not attempt to play them now, because the Gameboy games are extremely slow and clunky when compared to their updated successors. I'd rather play HeartGold than the original Gold, for example, both for the new features that have been introduced since Gold included in HeartGold, and because the former is significantly more polished.

The funny thing about nostalgia is that it's never as good as you remember it to be if you actually try and experience it by doing it; it's better as a memory. I'm quite content to look back on older generations with fondness and see what the new ones bring. The older Pokemon are in the newer games anyway, and if I really want nostalgia, I can just play through the game with a team of my old favourites, like I did in Black.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Since the "new stuff" is just the old stuff transitioned in with new environments, designs, graphics and storylines, I'll say the new stuff. The new stuff has all the old Pokemon and more. I will forever reminisce on my childhood of Pokemon, but if I actually tried to play Pokemon Blue version again I'd get frustrated at the bad graphics, unsound type effectiveness and obviously overpowered Pokemon.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Don't Care, leaning towards New Stuff.

The nostalgia value will only get you so far. You can't recreate playing Pokemon for the first time, but you CAN play a new Pokemon game for the first time and look forward to playing future games. Hell, Pokemon is practically the exact same as it was when it first came out because the basic formula hasn't changed a bit, and it doesn't need to change because you don't mess with something that's been successful for so long.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I like the newer stuff, because I like the way the Pokemon series expands and improves. Sure, people might say it's the exact same thing, but even the smallest changes can
drastically change a game.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
Years
I like both, really. My first game that I played was Ruby version, though I used to watch my cousins play R/B/Y and G/S/C so I'm somewhat familiar with those as well. While I do like replaying Ruby for the nostalgia, I also enjoy playing the newer games just because I like the graphics and how much faster battles go. I recently found Blue version at a Flea Market and bought it just to have something different to occupy myself with, and honestly the old graphics don't bother me at all. I can spend an hour playing White and then switch to playing Blue for another hour and I don't really care lol.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
I like both to about the same extent, but Pokemon is about discovery and adventure so I would have to say newer stuff.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I go for the newer stuff mainly to keep up with the franchise as a whole, but I go back to the past mainly because of the music.
I do the opposite ^^ Well, not to keep up with the franchise - I mean that I can sometimes enjoy listening to the soundtrack of gen 4 and onward, while I prefer playing gen 3 and older.

The reason I go back to old games is because I want to play the story again.
Opposite here, at least :> I think the stories and plots of the newer games are better. Just look at the Unova games and their intricate evil characters and compare those to Team Rocket. So I don't really go back because of the story.

For me, generations I, II and III are nostalgic, since I played those when I was a kid. Gen IV and gen V are still new and I haven't properly finished a game in those generations yet. I prefer playing through the old games rather than strive to finish the newer ones though. I feel comfortable with them and the nostalgic feelings they bring up actually do make me feel a bit excited when playing.

I'm a sucker for nostalgia, so yeah. That gets my vote.

Years
I like both. Some of us grew up with the older Pokemon (anime and games) and we might "love" them more but we cannot say that the new games and the improved anime are worse than the old ones because it is a lie. I don't understand people who complain a lot about how Pokemon have changed these days, they can still use their favorite Pokemon in the games. Over nostalgic fans are worse than haters in my opinion. lol :)

!Gambit

Pokemon Trainer Jessie Ryder
Years
I prefer the older stuff, but upgraded (HGSS/FRLG). I like the older stuff but when they redo it it's awesome (: and I'm way too excited for XY to not hint that I enjoy newer stuff as well.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Newer stuff all the way. I went through my nostalgia period a few years back. Now I'm ready to enjoy the current gens. I've wanted 3D Pokemon for quite some time, so I'm really excited about Y/X. ^_^

Back