• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beta Place

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
Years
Title of Story: Moonlight
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: An Eevee/Glaceon is born, and these are some of her most treasured memories, because no matter how bad or good they were, they led to her greatest moment.
Genre: friendship/bonding, sad story (one-shot)
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG
Type of mentor needed: Someone who can help me work out the boring parts, and that can make the story flow well. Also, please don't be nice when you give me advice.
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: I made my first story when I was in first grade and I have loved writing ever since. I wrote my first fanfiction here when I was nine and even though it was completely horrible, I now know that I want to be bestselling author when I grow up.

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
Years
I have a question: Do beta readers rewrite chapters or do they give suggestions?

Category -
I'm pretty good with coming up with a plot for stories and using tone, though I can help with other things too

Genre specialty- I think I'm probably best in Romance, but I'll do any genre you ask.

Preferred method of contact - PM

Examples of writing - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=175103 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145588 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139881

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4545556&postcount=2 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4561600&postcount=2

Strengths/weaknesses (optional): I'm good with spelling and coming up with vocabulary. My weakness is that I can't make chapters a whole lot longer.

~Night

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I have a question: Do beta readers rewrite chapters or do they give suggestions?
Beta Readers are basically proof-readers - they just check the work, find what's wrong with it, why, and how to improve it, really. What the do depends on their category, but that's basically it... hmm. Get more of on the first post (or ask me questions), and then I'll see if I add you - just that we more want to add people who are sure on what they will be doing and what they are to do and so forth. Clear up any confusion you may have - better to be safe than sorry. =)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
*Has regained the ability to fully use PC on IE* Ok then - thanks for telling me, FlozenFlame, and ~Night, you're added as a Plot Beta Reader - feel free to take someone on. =)

Years
Title of Story: Wally Wood: A Hoenn Adventure
Plot summary: Wally's journey through Hoenn, collecting Gym Badges, stopping the 'good' Team Magma from covering the Earth in land, and finding a lot more than Pokemon. Based strongly off Pokemon Sapphire.
Genre: Adventure/Action/Humor. I'm still on the fence about whether or not there should be romance.
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13, most likely.
Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive
Writing sample of story:
Other: I've been writing for about two years, and I still have a lot of room for improvement. This will be my first fanfiction, so I have no experience with stuff like this. I have most of an outline written, and I'm working on finishing the prologue. Once it's done I'll use it as the sample of my story. Sorry for not having it ready right now!

I'll have to say my weaknesses are my lack of confidence in writing and moving the story along. As I start writing more, I'll probably uncover more weaknesses. I think I'm decent at spelling, grammar, and word choice.

Thank you for reading! =]

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
In need of a Beta Reader. My fic has way too many grammar and language mistakes like Valentine kindly pointed out. I'm not going to be active on PC starting tomorrow -exams *sigh* -so anyone who wants to Beta my fic please feel free to take at least two weeeks to Beta my fic. Oh by the way if you want to Beta my fic also do me a favour and PM bobandbill -about being my mentor/beta- because of my absence, Sorry if its not allowed or if it's being rude.

Here's the specifications for my fic

Title of Story: Neo Groudon
Plot summary: A Groudon and a boy are genetically or physically fused together. Now they're on a vague Quest to find out more about themselves, why they became like this and possibly become separated. There is also a mysterious electric Pokémon to the mix yet to be revealed. He is still pretty much confused and slightly naive always listening to what Groudon tells him to do but this develops over the story. Currently, the story is on a not-so-suspenseful cliff-hanger.
Genre: Horror(because of blood), Science Fiction, Slight Humour(Sarcastic Groudon), debating whether there should be any romance.
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13, I guess, obscene language, violence and blood
Type of mentor needed: Language and Grammar (but don't bug me on the plot unless necessary because it doesn't all make sense in the beginning but will. Unless it's really important)
Writing sample of story: Excerpt from Chapter 5-
Spoiler:

Other: I don't think of myself as a bad writer I've been writing since I was 6. However, whenever I use the computer to write, my stories/fics come out shorter than intended and have more mistakes than when it's handwritten. Besides, Valentine suggested I should get a Beta Reader to catch logic and comma mistakes.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Haha. Guess who's back in this thread for a second time? (My current beta has computer troubles that may or may not result in her needing to reformat her disc. ;_;)

Title of Story: Anima Ex Machina
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: A meteor crash-lands near Fortree City, unleashing a parasitic alien pokémon that threatens all life on Earth. Meanwhile, a mild-mannered pokémon researcher with a penchant for being in the wrong place at the wrong time finds himself caught up in a tangle between humanity and the alien entity itself. Literally. With a new body, powers he can't entirely control, and no choice in the matter, he's forced to team up with a former cop and a traumatized young girl to fight for the future of the planet, but is he the key to humankind's survival or a pawn for its destruction?
Genre: Sci-fi, suspense, dark fic
Rating (PG, R, etc): R
Type of mentor needed: Proofreader, character, and/or grammar.
Writing sample of story: From the unbetaed eleventh chapter:

Spoiler:

Other: I've been writing fanfiction for a long while -- probably since 2000 or earlier. I can't entirely remember. The problems, however, lie in the fact that I sometimes don't notice the little things I do, like repeat myself or use one word when I actually mean its homophone. Likewise, I'm working with a lot of canon characters and science BSing in general, so I'll definitely need someone who can tell me not only whether or not a canon character (like Tracey) is recognizable but also whether or not my explanations and the things I'm doing actually make sense and are clear.

The fic has eleven published chapters (counting a prologue) so far and can be read here. The only knowledge a beta I'm working with needs to really have is a basic knowledge of the games and anime as well as the storyline of the chapters thus far. (Yes, scientific know-how is not a requirement.) And if I'm not a nightmarish client enough, I also update on an erratic schedule but will promise to let you know before I send you a chapter that one is coming.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 13, 2009
Title of Story: Untitled
Plot summary: A Riolu from an alternate universe where Pokemon don't know moves arrives in Hoenn and needs to find a way to get back home.
Genre: Heroic Fantasy, some Humor (I hope)
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG
Type of mentor needed: Plot and Character
Writing sample of story: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg45cd4x_9gghv7zf2
Other: I haven't written any Pokemon fanfics before.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you to the list, Shadow Ralts.

And on below posts, AdvancedK9 had already found a Beta reader, so..

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Ok, I'm gonna give this another shot. So I will probably need a Beta reader.

Title of Story: Magic42 Incorporated

Fandom: Pokemon Canon Characters/Original Starting Trainer

Plot summary: Ash and his friends meet up with a starting trainer named Mac. They suddenly realize some people start to act strangely in Kanto. When they find the cause of this is a popular soft drink called Croca-Cola they try to invade the main factory since most law forces can't do much, but they soon see the problem is one of Croca-Cola's ingredient providers, Magic42 Incorporated. And that company is damn powerful.

Genre: Pearlshipping, Crude Humor,

Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13 (Language, Crude Humor, Slight Sexuality)

Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive

Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: I help and unofficially Beta another fic, I tried to write a few years ago, but apparently I had no skill for this. When my English teacher was being delighted with my story-writing, I decided to try fanfiction again. So that is what I am doing. I want to kick-start this fic before I start school on the 24th.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
Title of Story: Blood of the Animals (BotA for short)
Fandom: Origianl fan-fiction
Plot summary: Four teengaers who are heirs of the Kruhas, an ancient race who could transform into animals, must race to save the world from an evil tyrant and his blood-thirsty mistress.
Genre: Horror with a bit of action.
Rating (PG, R, etc): R for having a bit of everything.
Type of mentor needed: Proof-Reader.
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: I've been writing for five or so years but havn't really improved. I struggle with descrining and grammer so these are the areas I want to improve.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Updeated into the list.

As for those still there, if you have already found someone to take you on, or are no longer seeking a Beta Reader... please notify me.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Title of Story: Gold's Heart
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: So yeah, it's basically just an adventure around Johto. Loads of new things etc. though.
Genre: Normal Pokémon genre? Adventure?
Rating (PG, R, etc): It's Pokémon, hardly anything vulgar. Whatever all ages is :P.
Type of mentor needed: Just a beta reader, someone to check each chapter over I guess.
Writing sample of story: If you're interested PM me for this.
Other: Been writing for a while I guess :/

bobandbill

one more time
Years
*reappears from mini break*

Added you, Alice. =)

*again motions for others to send him an update if their situation has changed*

Back