• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
Years
School work = FAIL.

Gasp! Plot bunnies are on the attack, but you've got a brainchild to save! How do you keep from wandering off onto those other stories and leaving a poor abandoned fanfiction neglected and in the cold?

I am incredibly bad at doing this - starting something new and never finishing anything. I'm getting better, but previously I follow the bunny and ignore the other story until a bunny comes along for that.

What do you hate most in fan-fictions?

Out of character rubbish and woobifying the vicious characters. A good bad example was a Rorschach/OFC fic I read, where he cried because she kissed him. I screamed so loud my husband came in from the garden to see if I was alright...

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
18869a2b0cc8a28e.gif

Yes it does. Anyway, I came up with this crazy insane idea the other day when a couple of buddies and I were geeking out and bouncing ideas for superpowers off of each other (we had just seen the new Wolverine movie). We (as in we fanfic writers, not we my buddies and I) should totally have a bounce-ideas-off-of-each-other thread. It would solve my problem of feeling like my head is going to explode with all these spoilers I have, and telling people your ideas a) lets you solidify them in your mind and b) lets other people point out possible problems with said ideas.

Watch this already exist.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Yes it does. Anyway, I came up with this crazy insane idea the other day when a couple of buddies and I were geeking out and bouncing ideas for superpowers off of each other (we had just seen the new Wolverine movie). We (as in we fanfic writers, not we my buddies and I) should totally have a bounce-ideas-off-of-each-other thread. It would solve my problem of feeling like my head is going to explode with all these spoilers I have, and telling people your ideas a) lets you solidify them in your mind and b) lets other people point out possible problems with said ideas.

Watch this already exist.

Oddly enough, I proposed a plot bunny thread to take care of the flood of idea threads we get periodically not too long ago via Asty's and my VMs. Then, we both paused for a moment, laughed about it, and went back to talking about setting sim children on fire.

Bay

Years
Oddly enough, I proposed a plot bunny thread to take care of the flood of idea threads we get periodically not too long ago via Asty's and my VMs. Then, we both paused for a moment, laughed about it, and went back to talking about setting sim children on fire.

My friend is actually doing the plot bunny thread at Serebii and it seems to be working fine, but it's a test run at the moment.

Heh, I suggest Astinus an idea thread where you can get your ideas critique, like the one in Serebii, but she said the people can do that in the lounge here. So far no one is doing that...:X

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Sorry for being away for so long. I spent some days in «collaborative zombie» mode at collegue. Web servers work again, IRC channel has an extra integrity layer, and a content management for edics and announcements has been integrated. It's just that I don't remember how I did it, let alone if it was me who did it.

Way a way to spend my birthday...

So, about the questions, I have some stupid answers for them...

What do you hate most in fan-fictions?

Blatant and ridiculous OOCness, of course, it gets on my nerves. Blatant OOCness alone, on the other hand, I think I can handle. Also I greatly dislike when a potentially interesting idea out-of-universe is exposed but never explored. Like, you know, Darth Tyrannus says "Hey, Master, why don't we also try our powers in the filed of telemarketing, for a change?" but then it never happens (yes, I know that would go WAAAAAY OOC, but it was just an example). Like essentially it makes me feel I am being baited and that I am nothing more that an extra point for the "Views" statistic.

I also hate hate HATE when ff authors write a battle and don't give the defining blast/cut/summon/whatever the appropiate exposition. Things like, "Goku screamed 'Kamehameha'! and then the planet exploded. Everyone died but they were revived again anyways -- sans the bad guys, as it always happens; and people would have not a clue how close were their collective asses to be turned into subatomical dust, so they lived happily thereafter. The end."

Going to the line of romance, there are not explicit thing I straight hate, but I guess I really don't like when "romance" is thrown into a story in a very "down-to-Earth" way. For me, romance in a story is about the feeling the characters have and how they act about it in defining moments, how acts of heroism are inspired by the melodious voice of a woman, and how the hero chooses to remain in his homeland because it was a sacred place his/her parents died together fighting for. I definitively don't need to know that the story's lead (or beta) couple have been living together in an apartment since one month ago and thay they're having an argument right now, about what kind of crockery or tableware of any sort are they going to buy. That's common, completely expectable, and quite dull everyday's life, so for that I have people's families, including sometimes my own.

Heh, I suggest Astinus an idea thread where you can get your ideas critique, like the one in Serebii, but she said the people can do that in the lounge here. So far no one is doing that...:X

That's because you (yes, me too) all LOVE offtopicness here... I mean, come on, orgy, Sentrets, pimpy Lugias and all... :D

So...

Want an idea to discuss? Want an idea to laught at? Well I'll soon post one.

NO!!! IT SHALL BE.... TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111 :laugh:

When I do fanfiction, I end up expanding so much in backstory that it becomes a story on its own. So to prevent it from going wild again in my head, I have to write it down. I did. I've already been planning for some time and actually some chapters are already written, albeit quite loosely. Actually, due to services provided in the line of Intertubes Duty, I have been ordered suggested by Dark Lord of the Sith AC Coda X Scarlet Weather to have it handed to him for BR, but I thought it would be interesting to post it here for a little bit of extra examination.

Pokémon-fandom, mainly non-canon region, Legendaries as in "Legend", PG-15 or maybe PG-17, depending on how violent do battles turn out, a bit of romance, a bit of comedy, but mostly battles, not the Tournament kind.
The basic idea is that of an Organization, kinda like a secret society, formed by Trainers, Watchers and the like, who are willing to protect specific ruins scattered across the World with more direct force than other like the Pokémon Rangers would do. What these landmarks are and why they protect them is someting they keep for themselves-- to the public opinion, they are the "ruin zealots" who sixty years ago rebelled against a corporate government and reached the point of offering their services to the neighbor, almost-enemy country/region.

This group is actually the newest iteration of the organization that was disbanded generations ago, and its purpose is different from the previous group although both are connected to the ruins they protect. Currently the group and its four members siphon resources from a wider and more public organization with similar alignment.

The Organization is led by Lead Female Character who remains in the shadows, she is known to the other members, but remains hidden to the outside world and the audience. Two of the members of this Organization, Boy and Girl1, have been spending some time together because of the tassks they are assigned to, as in this Organization, members work and travel in pairs like in Akatsuki, but for a different reason. Of course that menas that Girl2 feels a bit unfair that she has to always go with the Leader (or worse, alone).

In time, Boy and Girl have begun seeing each other in a different light, openly intending to learn more from each other and attain a closer relationship than one of "clanship". But not only they have their hands full with family, collegue and secret society; their Pokémon won't let them do anyways-- actually (*twist twist*) it is the members' Pokémon, beginning with the Leader's Starter, who run the organization instead of the humans, who are there to allow Pokémon to operate in a world where transportation, trade and commerce are designed for humans to handle. Not that humans don't know they are being "manipulated"; rather, they believe it is them who genuinely came up with the ideal and that their Pokémon happily and naively follow.

As tasks such as terminating a group of poachers that local LEOs don't want to deal with, or prevent a team of explorers from discovering a specific cave during the filming of their documentary become more difficult, a strain is put on the Organization. So the Leader('s Pokémon) decides fresh blood is needed to and definitively revive the Organization. One of the members then offers to manipulate a public system of community service for Trainers (let's call it a "Social Board" for Trainers) so that they can use it and study potential prospects. To that end, a sort of "contest" is organized where willing Trainers will have to provide specific services tailored to measure specific capabilities.

Of course, the Pokémon of the Organization decide they have to step in and make sure they are the ones who get to judge whether Guest Character A, B or C are fit to the organization's One True Secret Purpose, while keeping the humans thinking that they are the ones who make the choices. But... why would random Pokémon gather and bring their Trainers along to follow That One True Purpose? Maybe it is a legend that links the birth of their homeland to a specific group of Pokémon to their species, who long ago offered their help to a God. And, as with all legends, that legend may, or may not, have some truth in it.

----

There. Something to think about. I can expand on it more, of course, depending on interest shown and what is needed, and it will help me rewrite one thing or two to begin the story with the right foot.

The "Pokémon are the actual cabal" thing is the one little particular twist that I want to work on and expand, maybe to make it the trait that separates my story from (part of) the rest.

The romance between the two specific characters and the siphoning from a larger organization are some of the elements that I work on that will use to have some of the mechanics of the Organization explored: how do they keep in touch, if they have particular markings or manners, how are new members recruited, why are their Pokémon on the lead, things like that.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
The reason no one is posting their ideas in this thread?

Because everyone thinks they are so ~*~SPECHUL~*~ that their idea needs to get ~*~INDIVIDUAL~*~ attention so that people who are much smarter than them can tell them what's wrong with their ~*~SPECHUL INDIVIDUAL SPARKLY~*~ idea and they go ~*~EMO~*~ and ~*~FLOUNCE~*~.

So a sticky thread and a moderator who tells people that no you aren't a ~*~SPECHUL~*~SPARKLY~*~EMO~*~PRETTY~*~SNOWFLAKE~*~ will make it so that no one posts their ideas, and people will then complain that there's no one to talk to about their ~*~PRETTY~*~PRETTY~*~IDEAS~*~.

I'm bitter. And had to cut out a few swears. Sorry. :(

:(

Kill me, by the way.

Actually, no wait. There's a whole list of people that I want to repeatedly stab in the face because they annoy the hell out of me first.

DELETING POSTS IS SERIOUS EFFIN' BUSINESS, PEOPLE.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Solovino's stuff

Sounds pretty interesting. I'd try to read it. No major problems with your synopsis, so...yeah.

The reason no one is posting their ideas in this thread?

Spoilers, mostly. I didn't really want to post major plot points and then have one of my readers come across it. I guess that's kind of an inherent risk, though.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I'm better now.

Spoilers, mostly. I didn't really want to post major plot points and then have one of my readers come across it. I guess that's kind of an inherent risk, though.
It is a risk, but if you have a problem with a future scene in a fic, or if you just want to give all the details of an idea, then spoilers are rather difficult to avoid. The best you can do is warn that your post contains spoilers for your fic and place them under a spoiler. That's the best you can do, and then it's their own problem if they click on them and read something that might spoil a surprise for the fic.

You can, however, get those people who haven't read your fic yet for whatever reason to respond to your plot points/ideas/problems with your fic, giving you advice without having the story ruined by spoilers.

But then again, spoilers are a difficult thing to avoid online. (Which is why people became hermits when the last Harry Potter book was coming out.) So, there's always that to consider.

Bay

Years
I like that idea a lot, Solovino. I just love how you mixed a lot of elements like watchers of ruins, organizations, and a tournament together. Me likey. :) True, mixing too many things in one story can make it confusing, but if done right, it'll be epic. ;) The only minor criticism is the Pokemon being the leaders of the organization. I love the twist, but more background info on that, like how and why the Pokemon are the leaders in the first place. Er, does that make sense? ^^;

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I last stepped foot in the Fanfiction Lounge, but I have recently run into a lot of free time and so I was wondering if their were any long or complete fanfics that you guys would recommend reading. Preferrably something here at PC.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I last stepped foot in the Fanfiction Lounge, but I have recently run into a lot of free time and so I was wondering if their were any long or complete fanfics that you guys would recommend reading. Preferrably something here at PC.
Mine Any of Dragonfree's stuff is rather good, what little I saw of Anima Ex Machina was good, what little I saw of Trinity was good, and there's this really old fic called Me and My Flame that I'm enjoying quite thoroughly, but you won't find that one here. Otherwise I honestly don't read a ton of stuff.

In other news, remakes of Gold and Silver announced! *fanfare*

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
txteclipse said:
J/K, txt! :cheeky:

I support (wholehartedly) the suggestion with regards to Dragonfree's stuff. I only recently started to read AEM so I can't say anything about it.

Also, yay :D for HeartGold and SoulSilver. Names come a little bit strange though. I'm going to stretch it a little and call in MindCrystal *coughPropheticTitlecough* as well...

---

Now, W/R on my own stuff, thanks txt and Bay for the comments. And I understand the doubts that can stem from the overall idea of the Pokémon being the ones in charge. I guess it can't hurt a bit to go a little bit deeper about the cabal subject here, if it is for the story, and what the h€¢k I love to discuss these kind of stuff anyways...

The thing is, the Pokémon are not the leaders, they are something more like the Executive Committe. The Organization is emimently a human thing, however its history, origins and One True Purpose are something for Pokémon to understand and handle: it was born from a legend they follow, and they keep the humans working "in the right direction".

But this I'm going to enclose in SPOILER tags. It's not that much of a big stuff, but it may feel like I'm giving away the prologue when it is mostly exposition on the M.O.

Spoiler:

As for throwing a lot of things together, I'm doing essentially a round robin of sorts, event-wise. The focus of the characters is kept at all times on what the Organization should be doing, but the focus of narration shifts between the feelings members have towards each other, their lack of resources, and the search for completion - be it new members or a nice enemy- in a (I hope) orderly fashion according to what further lack each need reveals. I planned a two-way conveyor belt of triggers which I can use to clearly going from one subject to the next, I just haven't had the time to try it on write.

There. Some more food for critics. I hope I am playing this well.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
They might not remake Crystal as there was no ThunderYellow... But HG and SS are awesome. Even my non-Pokemon friend is getting HG. =D

Dragonfree has some nice stuff...Breezy too. There's some nice stuff at Serebii too. A lot of the finished stuff is at Serebii. xD

Bay

Years
They might not remake Crystal as there was no ThunderYellow... But HG and SS are awesome. Even my non-Pokemon friend is getting HG. =D

Dragonfree has some nice stuff...Breezy too. There's some nice stuff at Serebii too. A lot of the finished stuff is at Serebii. xD

Not really. There are like tons of unfinished fics in Serebii. XD

Oh that reminds me, I need to have NE be in the completed fics section this weekend Just need to edit grammar mistakes in Chapter 24 and Epilogue first, though. ^^;

The GS remake is indeed good news. Shoudl give more inspiration for an OT fic I have been planning since forever. XD

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
Years
Sorry I've been gone so long (have I?), my dog had to be put down >.< But it brought a new question for you all to try and stop Astinus from killing someone!

If something happens IRL to make you stop writing, how do you get back into it?

Genuine question; I've written the heartwrenching end for A Darker Day to utilise my pain after my dog died, but I need to write the build up to the end, and I'm struggling to put it down. Anyone have any advice?

YAY for G/S remakes! I am psyched for those!

Bay

Years

There was actually one time a couple years ago I was having nervous breakdowns due to being stressed out on school, which delayed NE for a little bit. After going to counseling for a little bit, I've been trying ways to relax myself, and one is reading books and fanfics. Eventually those gave me inspiration to write NE again. XD

Sorry that your dog has to be put down. *hugs* Hopefully you'll be able to write that buildup towards the end after you feel better. :)

EDIT: SHOOT, ALMOST FORGOT!

Hi, TurtleKing! Been a while. :) As for me, I'm doing fine. Finished NE, hehe. :D

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I wrote the first eighteen chapters or so of the E.C. in this surreal state of being that I can't describe very well. It was like being enlightened, depressed, joyous, indifferent, and overly-interested in everything all at the same time. Then we had the 2007 wildfires and my life kind of went crazy for a while, and the feeling went away, never to return.

Now writing every chapter is like pulling teeth, and unfortunately, I don't have any methods to get back into the mood, so to speak. If I can find music that gets me back into that state, it helps once in a while, but there's no solid solution that gets me to write.

And sorry about your dog, Ozy. I lost my first one a few years ago and it was a really tough goodbye.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I love you all.

No, I'm not dying.

txteclipse stole my answer, by the way. I'm in the same boat he is (PIRATES!) when it comes to writing. (I think I also experienced that trippy feeling he had.) I haven't really come up with any solution that makes me feel that I should be writing.

I just really poke away. This past week has just been torture because of work.

If you need me, I'll be in the new HG/SS section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back