• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Various themes and settings in which you'd have to write an appropriate response to with a character of your choosing. I'd basically write a post, outline a setting and you'd just write the next post, like you'd normally do when roleplaying.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Hey guys, just need everyone's opinion on something before I make a decision about it; would you guys participate in an RP event at the Get-Together?

I'm only asking as we had one last year with me and Meg hosting it but it really flopped and nobody posted final entries. And, if we do have participants who actually finish their entires, would anyone like to host it with me?

Yeah. most likely given my university holidays are around that time.

Also, Are there any World of Warcraft fans around that would be interested in a WoW RP?

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Yeah. most likely given my university holidays are around that time.

Also, Are there any World of Warcraft fans around that would be interested in a WoW RP?

WoW~! But... unfortunately i'm GMing two RP's And RPing in Roleplaying in 4 so... that's gonna be too much :3

I wanted to Advertise for the new RP ShinyDiamond and I are GMing but... the spots were filled within one day .___. ...... Sorry~

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Various themes and settings in which you'd have to write an appropriate response to with a character of your choosing. I'd basically write a post, outline a setting and you'd just write the next post, like you'd normally do when roleplaying.

Assuming that I'll have access to a computer around the time of the get-together (I'll steal one of I must!), then I would certainly participate.

For now, my computer is kind of . . . misbehaving, and I'm sorting out some personal crap (more like waiting for it to be sorted out, considering I have no say in it) right now, so I might not be able to post too much. My computer should be okay to use soon, hopefully by tonight, so I'll at least have that issue solved.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024

YES OBVIOUSLY

Especially if you make it and put thought into ut.

Also @ Skymin, no I probably wouldn't participate. Mostly because I don't like competitions :3

Razek

Witless Organizer
Years
How do I forum Roleplay? All the stuff I've read so far here is quite a heavy load. I'm quite nervous about even going on this forum, seeing as how populated it is.

Years
It's actually really easy to do. Firstly, as you seem to have done, read the rules. Then pick an RP you like and sign-up for it according to the SU sheet they use in their out of character thread. Then, when/if you are accepted, the actual role playing starts - which I choose to think of as collaborative story writing if that makes sense to you. You write as though you are a group all writing parts of big, complex story together.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
How do I forum Roleplay? All the stuff I've read so far here is quite a heavy load. I'm quite nervous about even going on this forum, seeing as how populated it is.

Pfft, don't let us make you nervous! Yes, there's plenty of us, and the more the merrier~
We're a cast of characters with many different talents and skill levels, so to speak, so no one is unwelcome here. If you ever have any questions, this is a good place to start asking. You could also ask Skymin if it's something pertaining to the functionality of the section itself, although I think we could also answer some of those questions if need be.

As Gimmiepie said, it's really not too difficult. You don't need to write incredibly long or detailed characters and posts—it's all for the fun of it. Of course, if you find yourself getting lost in a roleplay post and end up spending hours and hours writing what seems like pages and turns out to be an obnoxiously long post . . . that's fine too, lol. On average, though, it shouldn't take more than ten to fifteen minutes for a quick post.

Just follow the basics and guidelines of the rules and you should be fine. I don't think it should take too long for you to get used to. Also, don't worry about if you believe you're untalented—everyone begins somewhere, and no one is perfect from the start. Trust me, I know. Just jump right in and see how it goes, I suppose. d:

Years

Don't listen to Nakuzami; you should be very nervous and terrified to the point of fainting.

An easy way to understand RPing is to essentially think of it as being one of many authors in a story, and you only have control over a limited amount of characters and events. Look through the various RP's and try to find one with a simple enough plot. I suggest one with fewer pages, since those ones are more likely to have open spots available in the game. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you like Pokemon, so a Pokemon Journey RP would be best to start.

The actual act of RPing is sometimes easier said than done. You must put yourself in the head of someone who isn't you and try to best describe how they react. For this reason alone I suggest that your first couple RP characters be yourself with a different name and a past that is set within the confines of the RP. You know how you would act in a situation, so it's easy to write about. From there you can start deviating and trying more personalities...[sithlord]and then your training with be complete.[/sithlord]

Razek

Witless Organizer
Years
Being myself? I haven't even figured out my own personality. My best guess would be this: (A url I can not post for some reason. Come on, I've been lurking for a month!)

Edit: I'd send this doc to anyone who wants it. It's not like a have a USE for it right now.

Edit: Back to what I've been on about all day, how is short-talk achieved between different characters?

Last edited:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Being myself? I haven't even figured out my own personality. My best guess would be this: (A url I can not post for some reason. Come on, I've been lurking for a month!)

Edit: I'd send this doc to anyone who wants it. It's not like a have a USE for it right now.

You have to hit a word limit to post URLs. iirc.

Also, the only way you're really going to learn is to jump right in, RPs like Pokemon Trainer Academy and Youkai Academy are set up and run by/for new players to get them into the gist of RPing.

Pokemon Trainer Academy: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=261389
Youkai Academy: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=293973

So yeah, find an RP you like and go for it!

Edit: Back to what I've been on about all day, how is short-talk achieved between different characters?

If it's between Player Controlled Characters, then it can either take the form of short posts between the RPers (not always advised unless it's a brief meeting), or Joint Posts where you join with the other RPer to have your characters exchange information and act in the same post.

Years
Oh please, everyone knows what they'd do and say in a given situation, or at least what they believe they would. No one's asking you to sit down and ponder ever latent virtue, flaw, and aspect of your mental being, just a few things that are true. Are you an airhead? Are you intelligent? Do you have a quick or short temper? Any drug habits or substance abuse? How prone are you to acts of violence when upset? If you honestly don't know the answers to these, you may want to check into the hospital as a possible amnesia victim(though having amnesia would count as a personality trait, so you could use that. )

To build off what checker board squiggly mark slashy lines zig-zag squiggly mark said, it's best to collaborate long winded discussions between other player characters. Just PM each other, and decide on what you both want to say and work together to make a post. These types of posts are usually longer than a single character post as they should not only be showcasing dialogue, but actions the characters are doing between them. Joint posts are also ideal for getting a fight/conflict written faster and look more fluid since you're not waiting on the other sap to respond.

But that's not the meat of the sandwich that is character dialogue...it's more of the lettuce. That out of place leafy thing in whose only purpose is to have a variety to your moldy animal milk and sliced animal meat and provide nutrients they lack. Your prime mode of speaking to other characters will be writing what your character says and then wait for the other RPer to give their reply. These get boring and stale fairly quickly, so it's best to avoid idle chit-chat that comprise solely of phrases such as

How are you?
No.
Yes.
Hey there!
Do these pants make my butt look big?(yes, they do)

Just stick to important things and you should get a hang of things. Do note that the above statements can be used to a degree providing the rest of your post has substance to it or there is more dialogue elsewhere in your post.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
To build off what checker board squiggly mark slashy lines zig-zag squiggly mark said...
Just call him Ichiro. Like everyone else does. d:

Hi!! I'm the moderator around here, so when it comes to anything around here, you can always ask me!!

To put it in perspective, how do you usually roleplay, presuming you have before?

Razek

Witless Organizer
Years
Just call him Ichiro. Like everyone else does. d:

Hi!! I'm the moderator around here, so when it comes to anything around here, you can always ask me!!

To put it in perspective, how do you usually roleplay, presuming you have before?

To answer... I hosted Warcraft 3's Vuen's D&D, SotDRP and LOAP for quite some time, and played Starcraft 2's Cortex RP for about 3 months.

In those games, we all had a spawner, we all set names, we could all build, we were all basically gods, but limited to the game's engine (and the admins rules). As such, creating cool things took an excess amount time and effort to get around and getting at, but for, say, a full house game of experienced gamers, no trolls, it was guaranteed fun. The game was secluded only to the players within the game, and that gave a feeling of cooperation rather than competition, even though most of the time there was conflict. It was all live as well, so expect to hold your bathroom break for a while if it unfortunately comes to that. Games lasted anywhere from 2-12 hours.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
To answer... I hosted Warcraft 3's Vuen's D&D, SotDRP and LOAP for quite some time, and played Starcraft 2's Cortex RP for about 3 months.

In those games, we all had a spawner, we all set names, we could all build, we were all basically gods, but limited to the game's engine (and the admins rules). As such, creating cool things took an excess amount time and effort to get around and getting at, but for, say, a full house game of experienced gamers, no trolls, it was guaranteed fun. The game was secluded only to the players within the game, and that gave a feeling of cooperation rather than competition, even though most of the time there was conflict. It was all live as well, so expect to hold your bathroom break for a while if it unfortunately comes to that. Games lasted anywhere from 2-12 hours.
Right.

So this roleplaying all takes place within the mind. A good way to describe it would be maybe kind of table top Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying, or perhaps a collaborative story. Games aren't within a short amount of time, but can take weeks, months or years to complete a plot line.

So, for instance, you'd have a GM. The GM creates the roleplay, the plot and sets the guidelines. Players then sign up a character or several (using a provided template on the first post) and if they are accepted, can begin roleplaying as soon as the GM puts up the IC thread and gives the all-go.

So, the GM would post a summary post to begin with, letting players know how to write their first post. So, for instance, say you had a roleplay about a school, and you start with your character in a small meeting hall. The GM may control teh principal and teachers, and would post a post to inform you of anything your character needs to know. Then, they end their post giving you an opportunity to move. For instance...

(giant blot of text detailing setting and so forth)

"And that's the school!" the principal said proudly. "If you have any questions, please go ahead and ask. If not, you may go find your dorms!"​

So this gives you the opportunity to control your own character and interact. You have a few options, such as ask a question, go back to your dorms, or do something different like if there are other players in the same place as you, talk to them.

Once the principle had finished talking, Billy turned to the girl sitting next to him and waved at her, trying to catch her attention.

"Hi," he whispered, trying not to draw the principal's attention towards himself, "I'm Billy! What's your name?"​

Then, you wait for another player to post a reaction to your post. Be careful not to control them without permission. You can read the rules and such about other things you have to watch out about.

So yeah, games here are much slower than anything you'd do on an MMO RP guild, but it's a writing game, basically.

Does that clarify much or just make things more confusing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back