• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are they born with it?

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
So as we have seen, many Pokemon have objects that they always have, but aren't part of there body.
Examples:
Scrafty
Spoink
Timburr
Probably others
So are these Pokemon born holding these Items or can they live without them. Why do they hold them in the first place?

Wait move to general my bad wrong section

Last edited:

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Well they do have those things when they come out of the egg, so I'd say they're born with it.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Well, I think it varies with the Pokémon. For example, Spoink will die if it looses it's little gem thing (I think, don't quote me on that) But I think it's pretty safe to say that Timber's section of tree didn't grow inside the egg with it, it probably cut it down

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Spoink actually dies if it stops bouncing, so I don't think Pokemon "accessories" are really anything more than that, besides the obvious few who use them as weapons like Cubone.

But, I think they're born without them, despite sprite art.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Presuming that Eggs go thru the maturation process of eggs such as chickens and so forth. Where would a Solid item develop in the egg?
Pokemon don't have to follow the same scientific principles in real life haha.

Years
Maybe they're born with it...

Or maybe it's Maybelline! Sorry, had to. XD

I would say no, they aren't born with the objects. They have to go and find them, as even though pokemon doesn't have to stick to our scientific principles, that just makes the most sense. And this is a question about what makes the most sense, right? :/

As for why they carry them, I think the answer is pretty simple. The objects are tools, like how we use spoons or chimps use sticks... it makes their lives and specific tasks easier (spoink's pearl amplifies its powers, timburr could use it's timber to benchpress or use it reach objects or something?)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I've been wondering this ever since I noticed the hairband on Zoroark. Where does it come from xD I think Pokemon like Farfetch'd, Timburr and others that have an item not attached to their body, weren't born with it. They find it. But for Pokemon that have items attached to their body (Like Zoroark and the hairband), despite logic, I think they were born with it. How else do you explain that every one of them has the same hairband on the same place?

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
Years
Okay, the reason why all the Zoroarks have headbands, or why all the Timburrs have a piece of wood is because we have a limited sprite system when it comes to playing the video games. Pokemon items are unable to form in the egg with the Pokemon, as it is a sterile environment with only the Pokemon's growing needs to worry about, not accessories. Logic would dictate that they find it either at or shortly after birth.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
So this might be unrelated, but someone explain why Farfetch'd has a stick when he holds the item "Stick" and when he's not holding it.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Because of what someone else said, they each only can have one sprite so the could only give the one where he has a stick.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I would imagine if we have a bazillion Spinda then we could have alternate sprites for some of the other Pokemon.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Scrafty's 'hoodie' is its shed skin, so I would assume it was, at a time, born with it. Spoink's pearl comes from a Clamperl, so it isn't born with it and I'm guessing Timburr create their own logs from trees.

Exactly this, there's not really any other way it's possible or would make sense. Obviously they find or form their objects after birth just like humans aren't born with a full head of hair, but it's logical that they don't show that in the game because that is not at all the point.

I would imagine if we have a bazillion Spinda then we could have alternate sprites for some of the other Pokemon.

And no, because those would be different sprites for stages of aging for Pokémon after they come out of the egg, but, evolutions? Or would you want seperate sprites per evolution? That's stretching it way too far. Also, Spinda is randomly generated, they do not have bazillion different sprites. How would that even fit in the game anymore lol.

Last edited:

Ptzery

Skitty trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
They are born with it. If a Spoink hatches from an egg, it has its pearl...
If a Timburr hatches, it has it's... thingy...
Same with a Cubone's bone, a Farfetch'd's stick, a Scraggy's hood and more.

If you played a 4th generation mystery dungeon game, you should have seen Spoink without its pearl. In the anime you see Timburr without its stick and Marowak without its bone.

This means pokemon are born with parts that aren't necessary, but they use them usually to fight with. If you were to take the item away form them, they would still be able to live, but they would probably be weaker.

Years
If Timburr isn't born with the plank, then answer this one question.

How does the plank evolve into a metal bar?

Also, Cubone hatches with its mother's skull on its head. That's hella freaky.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Scraggy's/Scrafty's "pants" are actually their shed skin. How a Cubone is born with its skull helmet, a Farfetch'd is born with its leek or Kangaskhan is born with a baby in its pouch is beyond me (in the games at least). In the anime, if I recall, Happiny wasn't born with its Oval Stone, and had to be given one by Brock.

Ptzery

Skitty trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
If Timburr isn't born with the plank, then answer this one question.

How does the plank evolve into a metal bar?

a) He is born with the plank.
b) The plank evolves with Timburr. What I wanna know is how Magikarp evolves into Gyarados. ( :t129: :t130:)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I think this is a fuzzy area for sure. While in the games they come out of the egg holding them, in the anime it's usually treated more like a seperate item that a pokemon just has a natural attachment to. Like in that episode where Spink lost it's pearl.

Ultimately though I feel if you want to apply real world logic to the world of pokemon you're going to end up very unsatisfied.

This is probably one of those areas where they decided to take liberties even though it doesn't make much sense. Whether a pokemon is born with an item or not probably isn't a huge concern to them and what matters is that they have the item and that the item is a part of their identity.

Last edited:
Back