• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to make a trainer's picture appear over textbox

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Hey guys I was playing Pokemon Resolute yesterday and was completely shocked to see this:

2dih7op.jpg

I thought for a very long time how the trainer's picture appear over the textbox and finally found out how it appeared there.

Things you will need:

Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor
XSE
The picture of your trainer

First of all I want to say that unless you know how to expand the pokedex or are willing to replace existing pokemons, you can only have 25 trainer's pictures.

First get your trainer picture in style you want(head,full body,half body etc.) like this:

34he5us.png

Now open Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor and load your rom. In one of the 25 ? slots after Celebi insert your Trainer's picture. Insert it in all four boxes and click Synchronise Palette. Then click Write to Rom, define the offset to start searching from, Find Free Space and click OK. Make sure to remember its species number.

wjc4ro.jpg
ztek9t.jpg

Mine one's species number is 253

Now you can make a script in XSE such as this:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
[B]showpokepic 0xFD 0x0 0x4[/B]
msgbox @hi
callstd 0x4
closeonkeypress
[B]hidepokepic[/B]
release
end

#org @hi
= Hi Aryan!

The ones in the bold are the main parts.

showpokepic shows a pokemon picture. 0xFD is the pokemon number in Hex (253). 0x0 and 0x4 are coordinates. You can use any but I recommend these as 0x0 and 0x4 makes the picture appear just over the textbox. hidepokepic hides the picture.

Now compile it and assign it to any person in A-Map. Now check the rom:

10ifpxw.jpg

Viola!, you have the trainers picture over the textbox. (I know mine has some outline problems but if you make the background colour different from any other colour in the sprite, it should work fine)

Credits:

Pinkish Purple

Last edited:

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hey hey! Very smart way of doing this! So simple yet has amazing results! Thanks heaps.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Well... this is like year old information (about from the time when this was in DJG's Life of Guardians), but it does help the newbies who did not know about it.

This information may be given out in the past but the information in this thread is my own work. I didn't copied it or something.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 19, 2021
Thanks so much! :) This will help on the hack I'm creating.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
Can I use any image found in google and just resize it? If not, can you specify what kind and type of image I must use? :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Can I use any image found in google and just resize it? If not, can you specify what kind and type of image I must use? :)
A sprite. An indexed sprite. Or even an unindexed one. Wichu's Sprite Editor automatically indexes it but, it should only have 16 or less colors.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Hey guys there is a small edit in the script. The 0x2 has been changed to 0x4 because 0x2 made it too high. Thanks for Pinkish Purple for notifying me.

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
Help me!!
I try to show a badge as the same in B/W/BW2, but when I talk with a npc I get my badge, but with only a black silhouette. I follow the tutorial, but something went wrong...
Sorry my bad english...

Last edited:

bitelaserkhalif

Falcon Punch!!
Years
Help me!!
I try to show a badge as the same in B/W/BW2, but when I talk with a npc I get my badge, but with only a black silhouette. I follow the tutorial, but something went wrong...
Sorry my bad english...
The Solution is:

• Search the ? After celebi but before treecko with Unlz.GBA
    You'll see pallete offset:00xxxxxxx.
    Using Ifran View, save the raw(see other tut for this).
    Copy the xxxxxx to Advanced Pallete Editor.
    Then click button which if it hovered says Import Pallete
    Open the raw
    Press Change Pallete, it's autosaved.
At last of course,
test it.
Note: Image should be Indexed using Ifran View too.

Kyoko1

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
Nice tutorial, but its bad that you must replace a Pokémon..

I will later write a tutorial on how to show a mugshot via ASM ;)

Back