• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Very quick question :)
Is there any way to edit the attacks a pokémon learns through move tutor? E.g. I replace the move-tutor-move for the softboiled-tutor with fire punch (with Hack Mew's Move Tutor Editor)
How can I change which pokémon can learn these attacks?
Thanks in advance :)

(Some other small questions:
What bytes do i have to change if I want the regional pokédex in fire red contain pokémon 1-252?
Nothing more at the moment :) )

For the move tutor thing, you can change a Pokemon's move pool through YAPE (also in the toolbox).
For the National dex problem, I have no idea how you would limit it to being only the first 1-252 :D
What's wrong with just enabling the whole thing?

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2013
Well YAPE only lets me edit level-moves, TM-compatibility and HM-compatibility. How do I edit move-tutor-compatibility? :(

And having the regional pokédex going up to 251 is quite important for my hack :) I've also read about it being only a few byte changes several times :)

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Well YAPE only lets me edit level-moves, TM-compatibility and HM-compatibility. How do I edit move-tutor-compatibility? :(

And having the regional pokédex going up to 251 is quite important for my hack :) I've also read about it being only a few byte changes several times :)

Doesn't tutor compatibility depend on learn-able moves? I don't know for sure, but that sounds like a logical way to program it.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Doesn't tutor compatibility depend on learn-able moves? I don't know for sure, but that sounds like a logical way to program it.

Not if he means the single-move tutors. The ones that teach one specific move. I'm pretty sure that with these, if the Pokemon knows the move in it's move set at some point, the move tutor will be able to teach it. Other than that, I think that compatibility for those moves must be based in type.

Why don't you give it a try? Set the move tutor to teach a move that is not in a pokemon's move pool but is the same type as the Pokemon and try to make him learn it.

For the move tutor's that help you remember old moves, it is just going to read the moves you find in YAPE that could have been learned up to your pokemon's level.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2013
Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh no :D

I meant move tutors not the move relearner :D

Move tutors are for example the two guys after Mt. Moon who teach Mega Punch and Mega Kick to your Pokémon or the guy who teaches Softboiled :D

And I'm pretty sure it isn't type based as not all normal typed pokémon can learn softboiled :(

Especially as I want that for example fire punch can be learned by every pokémon who has the physical ability to use it :) (Machamp or Electabuzz for example)

karatekid552

Years
Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh no :D

I meant move tutors not the move relearner :D

Move tutors are for example the two guys after Mt. Moon who teach Mega Punch and Mega Kick to your Pokémon or the guy who teaches Softboiled :D

And I'm pretty sure it isn't type based as not all normal typed pokémon can learn softboiled :(

Especially as I want that for example fire punch can be learned by every pokémon who has the physical ability to use it :) (Machamp or Electabuzz for example)

Just looking at it, it isn't based in egg moves, move pools, or tm/hm learnability. I'm going to look at the scripts, I wonder if there is more to this....

Edit: Nevermind, I'm stupid:p. All move tutor moves are TM's, so just change the move that the move tutor gives and the TM which contains it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2021
I've noticed that when I try and use some moves, the rom glitches and either freezes, or acts as if it was an item and doesn't let the other pokemon attack (like earthquake, rest, giga drain, recover, and moves with equivalent effects). Is there a way to fix the effects of these attacks to not glitch out? I want them to have the same effects that they normally do.

karatekid552

Years
I've noticed that when I try and use some moves, the rom glitches and either freezes, or acts as if it was an item and doesn't let the other pokemon attack (like earthquake, rest, giga drain, recover, and moves with equivalent effects). Is there a way to fix the effects of these attacks to not glitch out? I want them to have the same effects that they normally do.

This means you corrupted the images that are used for the attacks. I have fixed it, but just doing two moves took almost 7 hours. I had to go through the entire data un-Lz and compare it to a clean rom and find the attack animation that was wrong. Then, you have to open up the offset it should be at and repair the hex coding to its original state.

It is a long and tedious process, so if you aren't too far into a hack, I would just start over. To prevent this from happening again, compile dynamically whenever possible.

I can show you how to recover it, if you feel that you can't start over.

Years
Help i don't what to do I'm trying to put Water Pulse as a move tutor

this is my script
'-----------------------
#org 0x740034
lock
faceplayer
setvar 0x8005 0x160
special 0x18D
waitstate
lock
faceplayer
release
end

what did i do wrong i have no clue

karatekid552

Years
Help i don't what to do I'm trying to put Water Pulse as a move tutor

this is my script
'-----------------------
#org 0x740034
lock
faceplayer
setvar 0x8005 0x160
special 0x18D
waitstate
lock
faceplayer
release
end

what did i do wrong i have no clue

I'll assume you used the move tutor edited to add that move to your move tutor.

The value of 0x8005 should contain the hex number for the move tutor.

Also, why do you have lock & faceplayer in there twice? Once activated, they don't need to be used again until after you release.

Edit: And water pulse needs to be a TM, that is how they do compatibility.

Last edited:
Years
I'll assume you used the move tutor edited to add that move to your move tutor.

The value of 0x8005 should contain the hex number for the move tutor.

Also, why do you have lock & faceplayer in there twice? Once activated, they don't need to be used again until after you release.

that my be cause I'm using Pksv for my scripts and No i didn't edited any I add and when go to the guy the screen goes red

karatekid552

Years
I don't know what move tutor that is but I took out the extra Lock and faceplayer and it's still red and freezing

If memory serves, there is a limited amount of Move Tutors. Which means to make one, you must replace one. So, find a move tutor and steal his/her ID. Then modify the data in a TM editor and Move Tutor editer.

blue

gucci
Years
I'm pretty sure I've done this before but it's slipped my mind and I can't seem to work it.

How do you get two sprites to move at the same time once activating a script? i.e The Team Rocket Script in Pokemon Yellow.

karatekid552

Years
I'm pretty sure I've done this before but it's slipped my mind and I can't seem to work it.

How do you get two sprites to move at the same time once activating a script? i.e The Team Rocket Script in Pokemon Yellow.

If you are using applymovement and not a follow me type thing:

applymovement 0x(NPC1) @move1
applymovement 0x(NPC2) @move2(or move1 if you want them to have the same movements)
waitmovement 0x0

Just set them both to move and put the waitmovement after. This will wait for both of them to move at the same time.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2021
This means you corrupted the images that are used for the attacks. I have fixed it, but just doing two moves took almost 7 hours. I had to go through the entire data un-Lz and compare it to a clean rom and find the attack animation that was wrong. Then, you have to open up the offset it should be at and repair the hex coding to its original state.

It is a long and tedious process, so if you aren't too far into a hack, I would just start over. To prevent this from happening again, compile dynamically whenever possible.

I can show you how to recover it, if you feel that you can't start over.

Thank you for the response. However, I don't think the animations are the problem, since when I change what the effect of the attack does the animation works fine and doesn't crash. The actual effects of the attack editor i use (absorbs half of inflicted damage; double damage on pokemon using Dig; user faints; recover half of maximum hp) are the ones that seem to not be working. I can switch the effect of an attack to a similar working one. like replacing the effect of Recover with the effect of Moonlight, but not every move has an alternative.

karatekid552

Years
Thank you for the response. However, I don't think the animations are the problem, since when I change what the effect of the attack does the animation works fine and doesn't crash. The actual effects of the attack editor i use (absorbs half of inflicted damage; double damage on pokemon using Dig; user faints; recover half of maximum hp) are the ones that seem to not be working. I can switch the effect of an attack to a similar working one. like replacing the effect of Recover with the effect of Moonlight, but not every move has an alternative.

Oh, well, you still have corruption of data. If you can, find the section of the gam where the effects are stored and compare it to a clean copy of the game and make the necessary repairs. It could be bad pointers in the effect table, or corrupted data at the locations the pointers point to.

I don't know where the table is so you will have to find it. Personally, it might be easier to start your hack over if you aren't too far in. Always compile dynamically to prevent this from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back