• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I've decided to use Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Wobbuffet, and either Garchomp or Kingdra. For this team, is Kingdra or Garchomp better? Also, which of these pokemon should I set up with? Which is good for laying traps?

Tyranitar's Sand Stream hinders Dragonite's Multiscale ability, should it carry that ability, so Dragonite isn't exactly the best choice to pair with Tyranitar. While Garchomp is immune to sandstorm, Kingdra lets you check opposing rain teams, so the choice is up to you, really.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
Tyranitar's Sand Stream hinders Dragonite's Multiscale ability, should it carry
that ability, so Dragonite isn't exactly the best choice to pair with Tyranitar.
While Garchomp is immune to sandstorm, Kingdra lets you check opposing rain
teams, so the choice is up to you, really.
I meant type-wise, which choice will give me more type coverage? Also, what about laying traps? Are none of these pokemon good for that? Additionally, if none of them are good for traps, I'm just going to start with dragonite to avoid that first problem, or simply send out Tyranitar after Dragonite faints, or teach Kingdra rain dance and have it be a weather-oriented pokemon

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I meant type-wise, which choice will give me more type coverage? Also, what about laying traps? Are none of these pokemon good for that?

Out of the two (Garchomp and Kingdra), the only pokemon that can lay 'traps' is Garchomp, which can lay stealth rock. However, Tyranitar might be more suited to do that, since it is often regarded as more of a lead pokemon, and in which Garchomp is more suited for sweeping. Or, if you're running a lead Metagross, it can lay stealth rock for you.

As for type coverage, it depends on what moves you give Kingdra or Garchomp.

Kingdra's usual set is the Sub + Dragon Dance set:

~ Substitute
~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Waterfall

Which you'd only get the typing coverage by Water and Dragon (against Fire, Rock, Ground, and Dragon). Then again, you can also run a special set with Hidden Power Electric against opposing Water types, or Flying types.

Garchomp's SD set:

~ Swords Dance
~ Outrage / Dragon Claw
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang / Aqua Tail / Stone Edge

Can give you move coverage than Kingdra, depending on your preference (against Dragon, Fire, Rock, Electric, Grass, Bug, Flying, Ice).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Out of the two (Garchomp and Kingdra), the only pokemon that can lay 'traps' is Garchomp, which can lay stealth rock. However, Tyranitar might be more suited to do that, since it is often regarded as more of a lead pokemon, and in which Garchomp is more suited for sweeping. Or, if you're running a lead Metagross, it can lay stealth rock for you.

As for type coverage, it depends on what moves you give Kingdra or Garchomp.

Kingdra's usual set is the Sub + Dragon Dance set:

~ Substitute
~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Waterfall

Which you'd only get the typing coverage by Water and Dragon (against Fire, Rock, Ground, and Dragon). Then again, you can also run a special set with Hidden Power Electric against opposing Water types, or Flying types.

Garchomp's SD set:

~ Swords Dance
~ Outrage / Dragon Claw
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang / Aqua Tail / Stone Edge

Can give you move coverage than Kingdra, depending on your preference (against Dragon, Fire, Rock, Electric, Grass, Bug, Flying, Ice).
And to add, here are the Tyranitar and Metagross sets that can lay down Stealth Rock. Both of them have the natural bulk to take a hit, then get the hazard down:

Tyranitar:
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Fire Blast/Stone Edge/Superpower
Nature: Sassy/Careful
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream

Metagross:
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Pursuit
-Earthquake/Hammer Arm
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/96 Atk/160 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
Thanks! I think I'll run a lead Metagross, because of my Dragonite w/multiscale and Tyranitar's sandstream. I am already going to run Dragon Dance Salamence, so is it too much to have more Pokemon with buff movesets? If not, I'll run one of the aforementioned sets. Garchomp's set is almost identical to my Salamence's future set, and I don't have any water types if I take Garchomp- I know that Garchomp's stats are far better than Kingdra's, so should I take Garchomp and give my Salamence Hydro Pump, or teach Kingdra water-type moves and Salamence Fire Blast, or teach Dragonite a water set and take Garchomp? (I know I keep asking questions but this is an important decision for my team's last slot, can I get an opinionated exact answer please?)

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Honestly, Garchomp + Salamence is a good combo. Or any dual dragon combo for that matter.

You can have Garchomp run a Swords Dance set:

~ Swords Dance
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang

And have a mixed Salamence set:

~ Hydro Pump / Fire Blast
~ Draco Meteor
~ Brick Break / Earthquake
~ Roost

See, Salamence's main job would be to weaken steel type pokemon for your Garchomp to sweep better. So yes, you can have Salamence with Hydro Pump, or Fire Blast - whatever you want, and have a Garchomp as more of a physical orient pokemon as well.

That's... my opinion. You can honestly do the same with Dragonite + Salamence, exept Dragonite should run a Dragon Dance set:

~ Fire Punch
~ Outrage
~ Dragon Dance
~ Extremespeed / Earthquake / Roost

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Honestly, Garchomp + Salamence is a good combo. Or any dual dragon combo for that matter.

You can have Garchomp run a Swords Dance set:

~ Swords Dance
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang

And have a mixed Salamence set:

~ Hydro Pump / Fire Blast
~ Draco Meteor
~ Brick Break / Earthquake
~ Roost

See, Salamence's main job would be to weaken steel type pokemon for your Garchomp to sweep better. So yes, you can have Salamence with Hydro Pump, or Fire Blast - whatever you want, and have a Garchomp as more of a physical orient pokemon as well.

That's... my opinion. You can honestly do the same with Dragonite + Salamence, exept Dragonite should run a Dragon Dance set:

~ Fire Punch
~ Outrage
~ Dragon Dance
~ Extremespeed / Earthquake / Roost

IMO, MixMence is better with:
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
Nature: Naive
EVs: 64 Atk/192 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
What about a Jolly Salamence? Originally I caught a random Bagon, trained it to a lvl. 50 Salamence, realized it was Impish, then caught another, and I am now training it again. Its Jolly, and I really don't feel like training another one, it took me hours just to catch the Jolly Bagon (Its currrently lvl 39, a Shellgon) so should it still have the same moveset?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What about a Jolly Salamence? Originally I caught a random Bagon, trained it to a lvl. 50 Salamence, realized it was Impish, then caught another, and I am now training it again. Its Jolly, and I really don't feel like training another one, it took me hours just to catch the Jolly Bagon (Its currrently lvl 39, a Shellgon) so should it still have the same moveset?
Mixed Salamence should be Naive, so that its mixed attacking prowess isn't comprised. Jolly is fine for pure physical sets.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Actually, you can still run a Jolly nature if you're running special attacks, but, I'd recommend you still at least have some EV investment in SpA.

For instance, if you're running at least 100 EVs in SpA, and a Life Orb: 100- SpA Life Orb Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 322-380 (96.4 - 113.77%)

Or in other words, it'll have a 75% chance to OHKO.

Or, if you just have 4 EVs in SpA with a Jolly nature: 4- SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 226-268 (67.66 - 80.23%)

It'd be a guaranteed 2HKO.

But again, yes, Naive would still be the preferred Nature if you're running Draco Meteor.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I have a ferroseed with 29 atk iv and a 31 def iv, but it also has a 29 iv speed, should I go for lower or Is it useable?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
It can still be usable! Though I'd recommend a lower speed IV if you're going for Gyro Ball, but, a Ferrothorn can still be viable without it.

Id hate to give up that 29 iv. What would be a suitable suggested replacement for Gyro ball or should I just equip with iron ball

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Id hate to give up that 29 iv. What would be a suitable suggested replacement for Gyro ball or should I just equip with iron ball

Gyro Ball is one of Ferrothorn's best moves, but it can be dropped for another support move, due to its lower PP in comparison to Power Whip. Some people use Thunder Wave (for status support) or Protect (for extra Leftovers/Leech Seed recovery) over Gyro Ball.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
i want 2 know if the sleep clause and other such clause r applyed 2 wifi battles and wifi comptions

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
thank u, i wasnt sure myself and one more do u have any tips 4 using parasect in a team

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
thank u, i wasnt sure myself and one more do u have any tips 4 using parasect in a team

Parasect isn't very competitively viable. It can be used in a rain team though, and utilise Dry Skin in order to be a little hard to take down, and then Spore's the opponent (and possibly heal its team mates with Aroamatherapy), however Amoonguss is generally a better option despite not having dry skin but being better in terms of defenses, and HP, as well as having Spore too.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
okay just wondering, i thought it may be interesting 2 attempt making a team using parasect

Years
I never understood why walls like Vaporeon and Jellicent always had to be Bold natured (well Vaporeon more). Aren't they water types, so shouldn't calm nature work better since there are more special electric and grass type attacks than physical?

Back