• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I never understood why walls like Vaporeon and Jellicent always had to be Bold natured (well Vaporeon more). Aren't they water types, so shouldn't calm nature work better since there are more special electric and grass type attacks than physical?

They're not used to take special electric/grass attacks, but rather be physical walls, so that they have a chance of burning the opponent like Terrakion and such with Scald, making them useless for the rest of the match. If there's a special grass/electric attack they'll just switch to something to check it, etc.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
okay heres a ru/nu trick room team, i know its not the greatest.
1) parasect
1. armomatherapy
2. spore
3. x-scissor
4. giga drain

2) gallade
1. trick room
2. psycho cut
3. drian punch

3) dusknoir
1. trick room
2. substitute
3. will-o-wisp
4. shadow ball

4) porygon-z
1. trick room
2. tri-attack
3. pain split
4. conversion 2

5) rhyperior
1. rock blast
2. drill run
3. ston edge
4. substitute

6) eletross
1. thunderbolt
2. volt switch
3. subtitute
4. drain punch

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
okay heres a ru/nu trick room team, i know its not the greatest.
1) parasect
1. armomatherapy
2. spore
3. x-scissor
4. giga drain

2) gallade
1. trick room
2. psycho cut
3. drian punch

3) dusknoir
1. trick room
2. substitute
3. will-o-wisp
4. shadow ball

4) porygon-z
1. trick room
2. tri-attack
3. pain split
4. conversion 2

5) rhyperior
1. rock blast
2. drill run
3. ston edge
4. substitute

6) eletross
1. thunderbolt
2. volt switch
3. subtitute
4. drain punch
This is better off in UU, considering the presence of Rhyperior and Porygon-Z. Check the Smogon tier lists for more.

Parasect is better in rain teams courtesy of Dry Skin. Plus, Giga Drain is very bad on it, considering its bad Special Attack.

Even though Gallade isn't fast to begin with, it doesn't set up Trick Room well compared to things like Slowbro, due to its lack of good support options. Slowbro is a better candidate in that case:
-Trick Room
-Slack Off
-Scald
-Psyshock/Fire Blast
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/12 SAtk
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator

But then again, Gallade sets itself apart from most Trick Room users due to its abiltiy to hit physically rather than specially:
-Trick Room
-Drain Punch/Close Combat
-Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut/Stone Edge/Ice Punch
-Shadow Sneak/Night Slash
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef

Cofagrigus is a bulkier alternative over Dusknoir because it can also go on the offensive with Nasty Plot. Dusknoir is also better with physical moves since its Attack is way higher than its Special Attack:
Cofagrigus:
-Trick Room
-Nasty Plot
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef

Porygon-Z is too fast for Trick Room. It also has a very wide movepool to take advantage of, and you're wasting it. Porygon2 is also a better Trick Room setter, due to its enhanced defenses with Eviolite:
-Trick Room
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Recover
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Trace

Earthquake >>>>>>>>>> Drill Run on Rhyperior:
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Megahorn
-Ice Punch/Rock Blast
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock

or
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Rock Blast/Stone Edge
-Dragon Tail
EVs: 252 HP/16 Atk/244 SDef
Ability: Solid Rock

While Eelektross can go mixed, you're wasting away its good movepool as well:
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Giga Drain
-Superpower/Hidden Power (Ice)
EVs: 252 HP Atk/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
For a weather tank Politoad is there a suitable replacement for encore? Its Hidden is Dragon which I know isnt Ideal but working a Beam, surf scold, protect layout right now.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
For a weather tank Politoad is there a suitable replacement for encore? Its Hidden is Dragon which I know isnt Ideal but working a Beam, surf scold, protect layout right now.

Defensive Politoed typically uses:
-Scald
-Protect/Ice Beam/Refresh
-Perish Song/Encore
-Toxic/Hypnosis
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Ability: Drizzle

Non-Choice offensive Politoed usually uses:
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast/Hidden Power (Grass)
-Perish Song/Encore/Hypnosis
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Ability: Drizzle

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I have my Toad adjusted for Trick room. Is that a good idea? Pondering the idea of a like a slow tank team. Composing of Toad, Magnazone, Slowking, Ferroseed. With maybe a walling with a Prankster pokemon or something of that nature

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I have my Toad adjusted for Trick room. Is that a good idea? Pondering the idea of a like a slow tank team. Composing of Toad, Magnazone, Slowking, Ferroseed. With maybe a walling with a Prankster pokemon or something of that nature

That's a bit too much on the plate given your current lineup as Slowking is the only TR setter you have. Slowbro is actually better suited in OU because it checks Fighting opponents better thanks to its better physical Defense. Also, you may be talking about Ferrothorn; Ferroseed is Ferrothorn's pre evolved form; don't mix them up.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
That's a bit too much on the plate given your current lineup as Slowking is the only TR setter you have. Slowbro is actually better suited in OU because it checks Fighting opponents better thanks to its better physical Defense. Also, you may be talking about Ferrothorn; Ferroseed is Ferrothorn's pre evolved form; don't mix them up.

Is a raining Trick team a good idea. With a Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Magnazone and perhaps a slow Ludicolo with rain dish. Or is it better to just do a rain team with Swift swim abusers

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is a raining Trick team a good idea. With a Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Magnazone and perhaps a slow Ludicolo with rain dish. Or is it better to just do a rain team with Swift swim abusers

Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned in simulators, but not on WiFi. Might be better to find a backup TR user for this to be a true Trick Room team.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Thing is I dont use Sims. My experience is the people who use them cheat and cheat often. Back up TR user, you mean someone like Slowbro?

Years
I've been pretty successful battling with my Darmanitan with my friends, but it doesn't seem to cut it competitively. I can re-breed another one if this one's no good.

Darmanitan
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-U-turn

Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Item: Choice Scarf

Any kind of tips on how to improve would be appreciated.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Actually, that Darmanitan looks pretty good! Alternatively, you could try Flare Blitz > Fire Punch for more power, or even try out Superpower against stuff like Heatran or Normal-type pokemon.

Years
Actually, that Darmanitan looks pretty good! Alternatively, you could try Flare Blitz > Fire Punch for more power, or even try out Superpower against stuff like Heatran or Normal-type pokemon.

It works pretty well, but I think I may try the Flare Blitz because it usually struggles to OHKO with neutral Fire Punch. I doubt I'll use Superpower though because it lowers Attack.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It works pretty well, but I think I may try the Flare Blitz because it usually struggles to OHKO with neutral Fire Punch. I doubt I'll use Superpower though because it lowers Attack.
Superpower is actually important for Darmanitan so that it can hit bulky Normals like Snorlax (who has Thick Fat to reduce the damage Flare Blitz does to it), Porygon2 (who has Eviolite to buff its defenses) and any opponent who carries Air Balloon to avoid Earthquake (like Heatran, who's immune to Flare Blitz thanks to Flash Fire and Terrakion, who resists Flare Blitz). EQ is the safe option, though, and should only be used if you've broken your opponent's Air Balloons. And given the fact that Choice users aren't meant to stay in battle for long (they get in, attack, then get out), Superpower is still the better option.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I've been pretty successful battling with my Darmanitan with my friends, but it doesn't seem to cut it competitively. I can re-breed another one if this one's no good.

Darmanitan
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-U-turn

Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Item: Choice Scarf

Any kind of tips on how to improve would be appreciated.
If your Darmanitan has Sheer Force then Flare Blitz is very good choice. ;)
Also... if it does, you may switch Choice Scarf with Life Orb and go for Superpower instead of U-Turn.

Years
Thanks guys. I'm not too sure about replacing the Choice Scarf because Darmanitan will then be hit first by most things and it isn't too bulky.

About Superpower, what would be best to replace with it?

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Thanks guys. I'm not too sure about replacing the Choice Scarf because Darmanitan will then be hit first by most things and it isn't too bulky.

About Superpower, what would be best to replace with it?

U-turn if you are not using Choice Scarf and Rock Slide if you are using Choice Scarf.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'd honestly prefer if you take out Earthquake, and replace with Superpower, since it pretty much super effectively hits your main threats like Terrakion or Heatran, without worrying about Air Balloon. Plus, Rock Slide can be needed for Dragonite or other Flying Dragons.

Back