• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone REALLY like certain pokemon? Or just use them because strong? -_-

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
I'm always getting pissed off in wifi battles cause people constantly using things like every allowed legend, and Rotom wash form

I also see alot of people use Breloom, Slowbro, and Ferrothorn, amongst other just because they're pretty strong. When we all know those pokemon look too damn stupid for anyone to actually like.

I have a REALLY hard time believing anybody legitimately thinks any of those 3 aforementioned pokemon are just cool & likeable with battling put aside.

I try to play a balance of pokemon that I actually like, that are strong enough

But when I see everyone and their mothers teams includes legends & Rotom Wash form.... you know... I get the feeling people are prioritizing strength & strategy SO much that they would rather use pokemon they don't even like for the sake of winning

Personally I feel that every single legend is generally un-sportsman-like, and everyone uses them with no regard for the fact that they're essentially ruining the game because it

Forces others to also use legendaries they don't want to use, you know... unless the other people want to just lose all the time in unfair battles, which also ruins the game too.

I REALLY hope Pokemon X & Y ban 100% of legends from wifi battles, and also allows for 6v6 on random battles

Or rather, that X & Y will have seperate divisions of battle, where you could sign up to play in a legend-free environment.

Considering that Rotom is overpowered & obtained 1 time in a game.... it should honestly be grouped as a legend and thrown out with the rest of them as well. I mean WTF? Water/Electric with levitate? Means you can't really do sh*t unless you happen to have a grass pokemon on hand....

Then of course you've got people running around with stuff like Suicune & Cresselia sitting there using calm mind up to the roof and generally being annoying.

All the other legends of course stupid & unfair because they will generally outspeed your usual pokemon and generally have obscenely higher attack or special attack, and higher defenses and HP. It's just BS.

I want a fair and balanced freakin playing field, but every other match is some douchebag just using legends and whatever other dumb pokemon happen to be strong, instead of pokemon they actually like.

I don't want to choose between
A.Lose half the time
B.Use pokemon I don't even like

That's just BS. -_-

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
Years
For one: I love Breloom, and I don't even do battles, much less competitive anything. :P

Don't count on wifi banning pokemon either. Rather, it is your better bet to find similar styled players to play with, like some around here on the forums. Much more enjoyable when you can do your own thing without being limited or limiting, yes?

Also also, rather than wanting them to ban certain pokemon, maybe implementing tiers, that can be altered and updated over the internet, much like players do, but more nintendo official. Pokémon isn't just a kids game these days. Keke.

Years
Ultimately, if it bothers you that much you should just arrange wi-fi matches with people on this forum or play on Showdown in a tier you prefer.

And Breloom and Slowbro are pretty cool in my eyes.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
I try but I manage to get an average of like 1, maybe 2 responders and battles by arranging it over forums a week at best :/

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm not sure it matters if they like the Pokemon or not. There's no reason to assume people would or should like the Pokemon they battle with, as every person is different. These people want to win most likely, they're not worried about winning with Azurill cause they think it's cute.

Years
When people start getting into competitive battling, if legendaries and other strong Pokemon are the best to use, that'll end up being what they go with, even if they aren't necessarily their favorites.

I don't personally have a problem with people who do this, since I'm sure winning is more important to them than using their favorites (which is no different from most video games out there). It isn't really my cup of tea though, which is why I mostly stay away from competitive battles. There are a fairly good number of Pokemon available that are both pretty cool looking and powerful though, so I'm sure you can still assemble a strong team, and still have a fun time using.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Honestly- I do go with strong Pokemon. That's the thing- once a Pokemon shows to be strong enough to keep its spot on my team, it grows on me. For example, I'm working on EV training a Gible. Garchomp isn't exactly an appealing Pokemon, to most. But because I will have raised it from lvl 16 and made it as strong as I can- I'm going to like it.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
Oh I hate it! There are excadrills, garchomps, hydreigons, and all of them all on one team (that specific one was very easy to beat though).
I use a sandstorm team because I like ground types, so I guess it half counts?

Wyverneon

No, I am not Eevee Dragon evo
Years
I personally don't raise pokemon that looks un-appealing to me
I care about design, not just strength

Maybe it's a stupid way to actually believe that pokemon is really meant to be raised with love
They're actually just a generated creature people want to have them with perfect Value

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, I cba to raise pokémon I don't like, although the things that set apart a lot of competitively used pokémon mean I tend to like them too. If you want a more level playing field, play Pokémon Online (I think that's what we use now, not shoddybattle?). If you don't mind losing 90% of the time, you can use pokémon that you like rather than those that are strong. Plus there are tiers, so you don't end up getting swept by Dialga and Mewtwo every time :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
I always choose strong pokemon but if I really dislike the design or I find the pokemon very very overused on WiFi I don't use them.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
It's weird, my favorite Pokemon are the strange ones with unique abilities and things. I like Shuckle, Scrafty, Swoobat, Sableye, Smeargle, Shedinja, etc. (complete coincidence that they all start with 'S').

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2013
Firstly I really love Breloom! He's one of my fave grass types. How could someone not like him?

Now for the point of the message lol. Sadly despite having been playing pokemon through all it's generations, I have never been able to get Wifi to work on my DS. Not at my old house, not at my new house, and not at Uni :( So I really just battle in the battle Frontier.

I did get the chance to do online battling once though, but it was using a friends team so it wasn't the same. Legendaries can be over-powerful, but as people catch them at late levels, they do not get the chance to EV train them properly, and they can be beaten by well trained Pokemon. I understand it must be frustrating, I thought so too at first, but if you breed and EV train a pokemon to it's full potential, and give it a really good move-set, you can beat them!

However it has been almost a year since those few hours I spent online battling. I'm not sure what things are like now. Hopefully I will get to join the rest of you someday, when the Wifi is practically oxygen and you can get it wherever you go without any technical difficulties.

Years
I don't use Pokemon because they are strong. I just try to win with my favourites. That's why i'm not into competitive battling. There's no use going up against a Sp Atk EV trained Zekrom with a level-bashed Charizard.

But I don't really mind. I have hardwire battles with my friends on Emerald with our GBAs. I send in Roselia with Ingrain, Leech Seed, Giga Drain and Poison Powder. And that's about as competitive/annoying as i get.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
If you don't like stuff in the tier you're in, then just play a different tier. A LOT of people have problems with the top tiers because of how it seems like some strategies are unstoppable, but the thing to keep in mind is that every tier has a handful of Pokemon that are considered overpowered or overused.

But to answer the question at hand, it's extremely hard to routinely use Pokemon that you hate just because they're strong. If you don't like them then there's no motivation to use them to their full potential and you'll end up hating battling as a whole. On the other hand, we're just talking about pixels and numbers so it's all futile in the long run.

pLaster

musketeer
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2016
I tend to pick Pokemon based on a balance between usability and obscurity.
I want the Pokemon that are forgotten, not ones that aren't played because they're impossible to use. You dig?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I doubt they will ban legendaries from battling. They give them high stats for a reason, nowadays ^^

If I am to answer the question posed in the thread title, I'd definitely say yes, people do actually like pokémon. I don't battle competitively at all, so I couldn't care less about stats. Things like looks, name, type and origin/purpose matters more to me.

But I can see that most people replying to this thread are gamers, so I see where you are coming from ^^

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
I instantly loved my Petalil Lilil as soon as the NPC traded her to me. I never knew that she would evolve into such a strong and beautiful Lilligant though! It was a pleasant surprise. ^_^

As for Meloetta I never knew she was a legendary (at FIRST), but I like her too much to not use her in my team. >_< I don't use Pokemon because they are powerful though, I use ones that I like (their personality and design).

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
I for one loved Slowbro from day one :)

I don't do competitive battling, and my favourite legendary is Mew which is one of the weaker ones. While I love Dragonite, I like Growlithe more than Arcanine. So for me, strength is almost irrelevant.

gSpartan150

Intermediate Johto Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I LOVE Feraligatr ans his/her previous forms, but not because they're strong. He is by far my favorite.{XD}

Back