• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Years
I don't really see it anymore, but I remember years ago a lot of people talking about how "unstable" Emerald is to work with. I'm just curious if there was any truth to that, and if so, why, and if not, why did so many people think that?

Maybe back then people used tools that were more fit for FireRed.
I'm guessing, that is, I've been into the Rom Hacking world for only about 1 year

Braxien

Banned
Years
I don't really see it anymore, but I remember years ago a lot of people talking about how "unstable" Emerald is to work with. I'm just curious if there was any truth to that, and if so, why, and if not, why did so many people think that?

I don't think that's true. Fire Red may have been easier to work with, but I wouldn't call Emerald 'unstable'. It was not as easy to work with it and make it 'your own', but it certainly wasn't an impossible job to do.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
So what do you guys think of those little teach you how to catch pokemon tutorials in hacks? It wouldn't make sense for a player to just get pokeballs even though they don't know how to catch pokemon (talking about the player player, not the person playing xD) but then again if someone is playing a hack they already know. So are they good, or bad, to have?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
So what do you guys think of those little teach you how to catch pokemon tutorials in hacks? It wouldn't make sense for a player to just get pokeballs even though they don't know how to catch pokemon (talking about the player player, not the person playing xD) but then again if someone is playing a hack they already know. So are they good, or bad, to have?
From a game design perspective, they hold no purpose because they the player, the person on the controls, will already know how to capture pokemon. There will be very few instances where someone playing a hack hasn't played a pokemon game before, so it holds little purpose there.

From an ingame perspective, it could be taught to the main character in a few words, there's really not much to it. Those tutorials are pretty short and really simple, so explaining it would have just as much weight.

Years
You could just have the first person to ever give you the PokéBalls to tell you "Just throw it at a Pokémon to catch him. You'll have a better chance of catching him if he's low on health and with a status problem"

Years
That is something that I did think of. In fact, I know that there are some hacks that remove the opening tutorial altogether and say "I'd assume you already know this." That's funny actually, but those openings never bothered me much anyway.

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
I'm going to to post a screen. Here's my character for my hack, Pokemon Cosmic (name for now, trying to come up with a better name)

For discussion, what do you think of hacks having multi type gyms, I'm going with it in my hack for something different, where the gym has 2 or 3 types than 1. For example, a gym has Fire and Water, or can have Fire,Grass, and Water, and so on and on....

Years
I'm going to to post a screen. Here's my character for my hack, Pokemon Cosmic (name for now, trying to come up with a better name)

For discussion, what do you think of hacks having multi type gyms, I'm going with it in my hack for something different, where the gym has 2 or 3 types than 1. For example, a gym has Fire and Water, or can have Fire,Grass, and Water, and so on and on....

As for the character, looks very good, however, I feel like it would fit better a character in the game, an important one, just not the hero. Maybe because itt doesn't have a hat or something, can't reallyy explain.
Now, for your second idea, I really like that. That way, instead of swipping gyms, you'd have an actual hard battle. :)

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years

I like the idea of a gym having more than one type. I recently finish playing Pokemon Vega, in which one of the gym has a dual type of grass and flying. The idea should be consider, as it give many gym a little bit of originality.
Edit: Btw, nice screen!

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
Not sure if I should use these tiles, The look a bit too bright, either way I will still make some zenonia like tiles :P.(Ignore the minis/ow's I will change them)
Spoiler:

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
Years
Not sure if I should use these tiles, The look a bit too bright, either way I will still make some zenonia like tiles :P.(Ignore the minis/ow's I will change them)
Spoiler:

Frankly I like them, but if we're talking only about the colors, the standard grass is a bit heavy on the eyes. Maybe you could just adjust the colors in the palette editor in Advance Map.

Plus, I don't really like the different sizes of doors. The tile styles clash + it's more difficult to edit the animation of them.

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
Frankly I like them, but if we're talking only about the colors, the standard grass is a bit heavy on the eyes. Maybe you could just adjust the colors in the palette editor in Advance Map.

Plus, I don't really like the different sizes of doors. The tile styles clash + it's more difficult to edit the animation of them.
Hmm thanks! I will try it out and also check to see if I find other tiles. By the way, is that your hack? I like the looks of it, it is very soft on my eyes compared to mine, Looks like you spent some hard time and work on it lol

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
Years
Hmm thanks! I will try it out and also check to see if I find other tiles. By the way, is that your hack? I like the looks of it, it is very soft on my eyes compared to mine, Looks like you spent some hard time and work on it lol

Heh, no problem, just play around with the colors a bit, sooner or later you'll find the right combo for your hack.
Yeah, I worked on my hack for quite some time now. Started in 2009, stopped for four years and working actively on it ever since - and yes, I had the same problem, cause I wanted it vibrant, but not aggressive in the color department.

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
Heh, no problem, just play around with the colors a bit, sooner or later you'll find the right combo for your hack.
Yeah, I worked on my hack for quite some time now. Started in 2009, stopped for four years and working actively on it ever since - and yes, I had the same problem, cause I wanted it vibrant, but not aggressive in the color department.

Looks like it all paid off? I sure do like the looks of it and well what can I say I wish you luck(But I personally don't think you need it since it looks amazing :])

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
Okay, the tileset I have been using don't have a palette for Mountain tiles or Caves. So I have been trying to use different moutain from other tilesets to see if it will look good. So I need your thoughts on this guys. Does the mountain look weird or any thing else that comes to mind?

Years
Okay, the tileset I have been using don't have a palette for Mountain tiles or Caves. So I have been trying to use different moutain from other tilesets to see if it will look good. So I need your thoughts on this guys. Does the mountain look weird or any thing else that comes to mind?

I think the color blends in, but I don't know how well the mountain floor tile works
It seems a bit off, because of the "hole" in the middle, but maybe it's just like that because you haven't showed it on an actual floor, but rather a line of them
If you could make a quick 20x20 mountain map just to show off the tiles, that'd be great

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
I made a map like you requested. Looking at it now though, I'm just going to have to use another tileset that works well with the grass.

Note: Moderators I made a map but thought it would be fine to just showcase here since Jose requested me to show how the mountain looks. Hope it is fine to post it here since I'm not sure about these tiles.

Edit: I've decided to not use those and I might have found a solution. Now what do you guys think about ledges, is it a must to have or no?

Last edited:
Years
I made a map like you requested. Looking at it now though, I'm just going to have to use another tileset that works well with the grass.

Note: Moderators I made a map but thought it would be fine to just showcase here since Jose requested me to show how the mountain looks. Hope it is fine to post it here since I'm not sure about these tiles.

Edit: I've decided to not use those and I might have found a solution. Now what do you guys think about ledges, is it a must to have or no?

Oh men, I didn't know each wall would be two tiles tall
I'm not a particular fan of that, so I think you're in the good way :D

Near~

The End is Near...
Years

Why not use the mountain tile FM made to go with that grass tile?

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
Because he it didn't have a cave that could match with it but now I am using it and found a temporary cave to go with it.

Back