• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Github!

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Heyas all..!

Anyone else use Github? If so, why not link us to your profile, or maybe share a project or two that you are proud of?

Here is my profile: https://github.com/Archenoth

I haven't committed much to any of my repositories recently because I am working on a large project currently, but this is where a lot of my projects go. My most established one so far is DBroker, a PHP database abstraction that simplifies database work. (I use it in most of my other code and the previous companies I've worked at use it...)

The one that some people over here may be interested in is AIPS, an IPS patcher that works on most systems out there. (Including Mac and Linux) I am going to add support for more formats in the future.

What about you all?

If you are unfamiliar with the place, it is a place where you can create projects and revision them with GIT. It allows you to create Wikis, support forums, and a bug tracking system for each project you post... You can fork other people's projects if you like what they are doing and add features or fix things for them and either keep it in your own profile, or send pull requests to help the author...

You can also favorite repositories, follow users, and comment on almost everything.

It is a fantastic place, and can even help you get your name out there, get jobs, or find projects for mostly anything under the sun.

If that sounds interesting to you, check it out..! https://github.com/

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Create wikis? Then I'm interested, but not being any sort of developer or programmer, I've never been able to understand supposedly simple descriptions of Github. I would like to know more... in laymans' terms.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Create wikis? Then I'm interested, but not being any sort of developer or programmer, I've never been able to understand supposedly simple descriptions of Github. I would like to know more... in laymans' terms.

Ah yes. For every project that you put up there, you get a spiffy little "Wiki" section that acts like you'd expect a wiki to act. Here's an example of one: https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki

Whaddaya wanna know about it?

droomph

weeb
Years
Ah yes. For every project that you put up there, you get a spiffy little "Wiki" section that acts like you'd expect a wiki to act. Here's an example of one: https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki

I just have to say that it's really for professionals. I tried using something from there once, and I swear I couldn't even understand what they were saying.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020

I see. Probably not what I'm after, then.

I suppose I'd like a rather depthful summary of the site that can be understood by someone who isn't already into this sort of thing... I doubt that's a reasonable demand, honestly.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I don't use git hub to much, then again most of my work I don't own the rights to. Your DBroker seems like a over complicated DB set up php file. I don't see the benefit of using it. I just glanced over the code so I could have missed why this could be useful.

I do plan to work on a few personal projects in the near future that I may post on githib but I dont have any right now.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
I don't use git hub to much, then again most of my work I don't own the rights to. Your DBroker seems like a over complicated DB set up php file. I don't see the benefit of using it. I just glanced over the code so I could have missed why this could be useful.

I do plan to work on a few personal projects in the near future that I may post on githib but I dont have any right now.

Well, simply put, DBroker is a Database abstraction that lets you work with Databases with simple arrays, is persistent, and you can add hooks to site-wide operations to prevent things like SQL injection or add an ACL...

For example, "DBroker::insert(array("name" => $_POST['username']), "users");" with a hook set up is simpler than generating the SQL and manually scrubbing it.

Also since everything passed in and returned are arrays, doing things like copies is a simple matter of "DBroker::insert(DBroker::select(/* foo */));"...

There are many other reasons, but I better not get too far off topic.

Back