• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Champions League

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023

The truth is that they arent that much different. All are champions, all should have the same expectations.
Erm, no. They're different classes of champions. See, you didn't try comparing Alder to Cynthia or Blue, which you should be doing. Why? Because their teams share the same themes: diversity. Cynthia and Blue both had pretty well rounded teams and not one type attack could take out most of their team. However, Alder does not display that and it makes him easier. Monotype champions are completely different because one type can demolish most of their team.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
There's no such thing as virtually monotype. It's monotype or bust. He's not a monotype. He has a few other types as well, namely Normal and Dragon. It's a team flaw that he has three bug types, but that doesn't make him a monotype for bug because not all of his team are bugs. Yes, he has a glaring weakness to the Rock-type, and I believe that should be fixed since that makes him easy.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Yeah, Steven was a master of the Steel-type. GameFreak wanted to keep the Pokemon native to their region they're in, otherwise it's kind of weird. It makes more sense for the champion to use their region's Pokemon. There were 9 Steel-types (fully-evolved, that is) during Gen III. Steelix, Scizor, Magneton, Metagross, Skamory, Aggron, Foretress, Mawile, and Jirachi. Obviously, Jirachi is a legendary so they didn't give him that. Steelix, Scizor, and Foretress are native to Johto so there's no sense in them being there. Mawile is pitiful, and is not fit for a Champion's team. That leaves Magneton, Metagross, Skarmory, and Aggron. That is not enough for a team so they cheated a bit and gave him fossil Pokemon and Claydol and took out Magneton.

The same goes with Lance. He had only the Dratini line for dragons. That's one species. They simply didn't have the Pokemon to supply Lance with actual Dragon-types, so they gave him the next best thing: draconic Pokemon.

Alder is different. He doesn't have a main theme or a type that he follows. He's just Alder, simply diverse.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Agree here. Steven and Lance are considered also as their types because, look, most of their Pokemon are metallic or draconic in appearance and nature. Alder's Pokemon on the other hand is just diverse. There is no commonality between all of them, just diverse. Random choices for a champion's team.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Cynthia. Definetly Cynthia.
I had one Pokemon left. No revives. She had just her Milotic. I had just my Empoleon with half HP, PP all gone except for Drill Peck, which had 11 pp left. Empoleon used Drill Peck three times, bringing it down to half HP. She kept using Ice Beam, I kept using Drill Peck until she got down to red. She used a Full Restore, and I kept using Drill Peck, which at this point had 6 PP left. I brought it down to yellow again using five more drill Pecks, but at this point ice beam had taken its toll and I was in red. I had one pp left for drill peck. It wouldn't kill it, but I had no choice. Empoleon used drill peck, and It critical hit, giving me the victory.

It was pure awesomeness.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
That's awesome dude.

For me it was Blue/Gary and his Arcanine going up against my Blastoise with those 2 being our final Pokes each, my Blastoise survived 2 critical hit Extremespeeds and KO'ed Arcanine in 1 shot with Hydro Pump in the sun without a critical, and it was level 72 at the time lol.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Erm, Steven. I was doing a solo-run with an Aggron and it bull-dozed its way through his team. Nah, I'm kidding. It was ridiculous since not many attacks were actually super-effective so most hits were neutral and given his team has high Defense to start with, it was tough. I did manage to get to his Metagross, which was sure to kill me off since Aggron has a 4x weakness to Earthquake. Nevertheless, I pushed through and we exchanged hits. I was hoping for a critical, but that never happened. But I did survive the hit with 4 HP left. I brought his Metagross to only halfway, but that was enough for me to kill it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I did a lot of training after the first time I beat the E4, managed to get my team of Blastoise, Zapdos, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Mr. Mime, and Snorlax up to around level 66 to 71 each with Blastoise aka Undine being my strongest Poke. Those rematches can be really tough sometimes lol.

psyanic

Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
The higher leveled E4 was definitely one of the strongest parts of FRLG. Blue's team got insane after the rematch, especially with that Tyranitar. When I first battled, I got screwed since I didn't know he had it so I lost and it demolished my Mewtwo and Charizard combo... But I got a Dragonite with Earthquake and I did fine afterwards.

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
Name: Buzz Buzz
Friend: Cynthia
Partner: Braviary
Reason for Joining: You guys seem like a lot of fun. I've been waiting for a club like this and I'm so glad it's finally here that I wanted to join.
I like champions a lot, mostly because they are (or are supposed to be) the strongest trainers in their region. I always feel bad when I defeat them and never look at myself as the new champion.
I chose Cynthia because I like her the most (Jay for the only female champion) and because I think she's the strongest (she gave me a lot of trouble). I know her Braviary isn't exactly a member of her Champion's team, but I honestly love it.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Rematch Cynthia, or Blue's rematch in FRLG. Even though Cynthia had her team retained with just some level-ups, I can still remember the fun she brought me. Hardest battle I ever fought. It was just a 1 v 1 already, no more restoration thingies. My Empoleon is down to less than 20 HP, her Roserade is not yet even half. I knew I was faster, but I also knew my drill pack would not OHKO it, but wth. I tried, and boom. Crit hit. And Platinum finished.

Blue, on the other hand, is just pure awesomeness.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Rematch Cynthia, or Blue's rematch in FRLG. Even though Cynthia had her team retained with just some level-ups, I can still remember the fun she brought me. Hardest battle I ever fought. It was just a 1 v 1 already, no more restoration thingies. My Empoleon is down to less than 20 HP, her Roserade is not yet even half. I knew I was faster, but I also knew my drill pack would not OHKO it, but wth. I tried, and boom. Crit hit. And Platinum finished.

Blue, on the other hand, is just pure awesomeness.

Let this be a lesson- Empoleon is great in the clutch! :)

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
Thanks!
Cynthia would've been the most difficult, or Lance. They are the only two I have battled with a fairly decent team. Meaning I defeated the other champions on Solo runs or other challenges.
Cynthia's Milotic and Garchomp gave me the most trouble. Garchomp was the only reason I had brought my Gyarados with Ice Fang. Spiritomb was a pain too, but only because he has no weaknesses at all.
I remember having only one Pokémon left, I don't know which one it was, and Cynthia only had Garchomp left. Murphy's law sprang into action and with Garchomp down in the red, I lost.
Of course you can get lucky too, but that's still not everything. If you hadn't dared to use Drill Peck, you might not have won. But then again, Empoleon is a beast.
I never rematched any Champion yet, so I probably should get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back