• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What do you think?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think they decided to make BW2 just to change things up. BW were very successful for them, and instead of following their usual pattern, they decided to stick with BW because it brought them a lot of money because the first two games were a big success.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
Gamefreak came up with a brilliant idea for themselves to do 2 for the sake of monetary gain for them. So, in a sense, I believe they did it for money reasons, but then again, the whole Tao symbolism could have pulled them towards making 2 remakes instead of the usual 1 they have done ever since the beginning.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 18, 2013
Gamefreak came up with a brilliant idea for themselves to do 2 for the sake of monetary gain for them. So, in a sense, I believe they did it for money reasons, but then again, the whole Tao symbolism could have pulled them towards making 2 remakes instead of the usual 1 they have done ever since the beginning.

The next games aren't remakes of the first two game. Why? Because, first of all,
the new games have different plot (well, the story is not the same as the story featured in the first games), different characters, different gym leaders, and so on (i can't think of anymore). Remakes, basically, should be consistent to the story(meaning, it shouldn't be altered and should be almost the same as the original), should have the same characters and gym leaders. (except for Hoenn).

Anyways, I just had to clarify that.

Regarding for this topic, I don't know why the hell did they do that, but maybe they want to continue the plot of the first game, and add twists into them, but yeah maybe MONEY.

Proof to this is that consumers will not likely buy the game if it's just a remake. Why? Because of the replay value it will give the consumers. Who the heck wants to play the same game with the same story and have only few additional contents? Unless you're a Pokemon fan or you still haven't played the original, you will totally (in my opinion anyways) not gonna buy the game.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
The next games aren't remakes of the first two game. Why? Because, first of all,
the new games have different plot (well, the story is not the same as the story featured in the first games), different characters, different gym leaders, and so on (i can't think of anymore). Remakes, basically, should be consistent to the story(meaning, it shouldn't be altered and should be almost the same as the original), should have the same characters and gym leaders. (except for Hoenn).

Anyways, I just had to clarify that.

I was initially typing sequels, but somehow I typed remakes.
Quit raging over a small mistake.

But yea, most likely, it is all for the monetary gain of two instead of one, and in which I applaud Gamefreak for such a wonderful idea.

Years
Black & White 2 opposed to Grey?

I've thought about this a bit and was wondering if it was the right idea to expand on Pokémon Black & White versions instead of continuing the trend of creating a third installment, Grey in this case. I'm not opposed to the idea of additional storyline in anyway, but what do you really think sparked this idea? From a marketing standpoint this is going to generate a lot of revenue for The Pokémon Co., but outside of that do you think that they really want to go so far in depth with this trio of Dragons that a singular third version wouldn't suffice?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I've thought about this a bit and was wondering if it was the right idea to expand on Pokémon Black & White versions instead of continuing the trend of creating a third installment, Grey in this case. I'm not opposed to the idea of additional storyline in anyway, but what do you really think sparked this idea? From a marketing standpoint this is going to generate a lot of revenue for The Pokémon Co., but outside of that do you think that they really want to go so far in depth with this trio of Dragons that a singular third version wouldn't suffice?

This was already being discussed in here as well as other threads, Merged with an active one.

hiiro-kun

DEAD ACCOUNT
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2012
Every game it's a new region with basically the same story line. Maybe they though some people would get bored with it. Besides, they've never done a sequel before.

psyciceman

Friendly Neighbourhood Psycho
Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
Besides, they've never done a sequel before.

Ohai Gold and Silver, I didn't see you there.
But seriously is it that big of a deal? Just be glad that they're gonna try something new.

Years
In most generations, they usually release a third version after the initial pair, which usually contain new features, enhanced story and changes in Pokemon availability.

This time round, they wanted to break from that tradition and make a second pair that takes place 2 years in the future. They wanted a direct sequel pair of games for a change.

I think that these games may turn out to be the most successful, at least for the older fans. Nearly almost the entire fanbase loves the Pokewood feature, Cheren and Bianca's new designs and the inclusion of older generation Pokemon.

Gamefreak wanted to try something different imo, possibly to get the older fans into playing.

ahovking

Scholar Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 24, 2012
Personally it was a big mistake to remake Pokemon black & white, i dont like the Pokemon (for example Vanilluxe.......its..its a ice cream cone not a Pokemon) they should of just started a new game or maybe if they wanted to remake a game, they should of remade Pokemon emerald in my opinion.

Years
It's a bit of precedent. New Pokemon games come in twos'. These aren't just remakes, they're explicitly stated to be sequels. Sure they could have done one game, but there's so much more money in this for Nintendo if they make two.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I like them, it's new and fresh for a sequel midgeneration rather than having us wait for another like they did between I and II. The story also seems to have the potential to be quite interesting ^_^.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
Years
I haven't really read through the thread, but I would reckon that what I'll be saying is what a lot of people have said, already.

I like that, rather than going with the norm, BW2 are essentially coming to us as their own games. They're set in the same Region as BW, sure... but they've added more to it than just a reorganisation of certain story aspects that, in my opinion, would have really made just a single game out-of-sync with it all. I'm glad that there is going to be more from this story, and I'm really looking forward to how this all comes to a head, and seeing how the story of the Unova region and its cast of characters, comes to a close. (since I'm venturing to guess that these will be the last games we see of the Unova region)

All that remains now, is to await their translation and distribution... which I'm hoping won't be as long as I fear it will be... heh...

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
Now that i think about it, i think they are trying to step out of the box with pokemon.

TWO pokemon games are going against the norm of pokemon

Pokemon Conquest-very diferent from a normal pokemon spinoff
AND
Pokemon Black2/White2- first actual sequels

To me, these two are the starters to a plethora(big word ;) of strange but wonderful pokemon games. But they will stop the new ideas if THE FANS hate the games and go back to the normal 2 version--> 1 big version

Years
Pokemon has been slowly but steadily losing popularity since around 2000 or 2001. Nintendo just has to jump through smaller and smaller hoops to keep breaking even.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I kind of have the thought that it's making up for a future game (the remake of Gen III). I've been thinking that maybe they chose to put two games for the Black and White ramakes to change it up a bit, and instead of getting two games for Gen III in Gen V, they're going to make a remake of Emerald. Though, I doubt that this is accurate. It's probably just for the sole purpose of making more money, but I always like looking for deeper meanings into actions!!

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
Pokemon has been slowly but steadily losing popularity since around 2000 or 2001. Nintendo just has to jump through smaller and smaller hoops to keep breaking even.

Sorry, but what? What could even remotely give you that idea? Pokemon is going stronger than it ever has been. Red and Blue sold roughly nine million copies, which is a lot. Ruby and Sapphire, however, sold about 13 million, and Diamond and Pearl nearly fifteen million copies. And that's not even including third versions in the mix!

Heck, Black and White broke the one-day sales record for the entire franchise. And on top of that, Pokemon is the second-best selling video game franchise in the world. You know who the first is? Mario. And despite being around twice as long that series is just 150 million copies ahead of all Pokemon games sold.

I'm sorry, but saying that Pokemon has gotten less popular is not just wrong, but laughably so.

Back