• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "Need more water types!"

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I think less bug and grass types, but make them more powerful. I would really love to see more grass types in competitive play. I'm the only person I've met that uses a grass type and that's Serperior (and yes, he does very well).

I would also like to see more ghosts and better poison types. I just feel like they have too little pokemon.

All gamefreak has to do is make a grass type with the ability drought and have it learn solarbeam, give it high sweeping stats (SpAtk and Spd) and there you have it! A kickass grass type worth using competitively!

The bug types in the last gen (gen 5) had a huge upgrade from previous gens. No bugs at weedle and parasect's level, but on scizor and heracross's level. All of them (excluding Leavanny) were kickass, such as: Accelgor, Escavalier, Scolipede, Galvantula, Crustle, and ofcourse Volcarona - the king of the bugs. They definitely don't need an upgrade

I don't believe that we need more ghosts, I think they are meant to be the kind of pokemon that are uncommon and strange - but powerful.

Poison types should have an upgrade in gen 6 just like they did with bugs in gen 5, in my opinion at least.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
All gamefreak has to do is make a grass type with the ability drought and have it learn solarbeam, give it high sweeping stats (SpAtk and Spd) and there you have it! A kickass grass type worth using competitively!

The bug types in the last gen (gen 5) had a huge upgrade from previous gens. No bugs at weedle and parasect's level, but on scizor and heracross's level. All of them (excluding Leavanny) were kickass, such as: Accelgor, Escavalier, Scolipede, Galvantula, Crustle, and ofcourse Volcarona - the king of the bugs. They definitely don't need an upgrade

I don't believe that we need more ghosts, I think they are meant to be the kind of pokemon that are uncommon and strange - but powerful.

Poison types should have an upgrade in gen 6 just like they did with bugs in gen 5, in my opinion at least.
But ghosts also represent our fears, in a way... and really, we can't hide from our fears. They aren't really uncommon, and they are powerful, so I feel like balancing them up would actually make sense, because conquering fears matters etc.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I know I've probably said this before, but more ice types that don't suck. u___u I mean, not counting legendaries(Kyurem, I'm looking at you), Walrein was pretty much one of the best ice-types to ever be made, even though currently it's pretty futile, I believe it was a good example of what ice-types could be. Of course, Walrein is also super bulky despite the messy typing, so yeah.

I just want them to stand a chance in competitive again. u__u

Omg I know how you feel! Ice type pokemon would have been my favourite pokemon type... if they didn't suck. Sure Lapras, Weavile, and Mamoswine are good ice types, but that's the problem - there are not enough good ice type's.
I'm not complaining about ice type moves though, ice moves are among the best type of move! Being super-effective against a variety of types including: Grass, Ground, Flying, but most importantly of them all - Dragon. Ice type moves are your only hope against the super dragons such as Salamence, Dragonite, and Garchomp. For this, I really want to like ice type pokemon, but I just can't because they suck. :'(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
More ice types with better defense and lower special defense would be awesome to change up but would make ice times way more appealing, omg.

AmericanWonderland

Sassmaster
Years
I would love new ice types, as well as new ghost types. Especially ice though, because the existing ones look nice, but they really aren't the most powerful pokemon. Ghost types have plenty of powerful ones, but they also have some that aren't the most powerful. And maybe a few more dark types as well.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I know I've probably said this before, but more ice types that don't suck. u___u I mean, not counting legendaries(Kyurem, I'm looking at you), Walrein was pretty much one of the best ice-types to ever be made, even though currently it's pretty futile, I believe it was a good example of what ice-types could be. Of course, Walrein is also super bulky despite the messy typing, so yeah.

I just want them to stand a chance in competitive again. u__u That and more Electric/Flying other than Zapdos~!

...No, Not Emolga. XD Something like Zapdos that isn't a legendary, and could fight.

Unfortunately, like everything that came from 3rd gen (aside from Salamence), Walrein is a worse version of something that came before it. Walrein is a bad Lapras.

The problem with Ice isn't the weak Pokémon, it's the prevalence of Stealth Rock and Fighting-types. Being Water/Ice was a blessing in RBY where things first started, nowadays it's a curse. Instead, I'd like to see a boost to Hail. Rock-types are ****** defensively, but throw in Sand Stream and Tyranitar and Terrakion become behemoths. Hail is the weakest weather by far, with no reliable inducers (lolAbomasnow) and few boosts, and now that Snow Cloak was banned by Smogon (which isn't official but adopted by a good amount of people), it's become even worse. A boost to Hail would greatly help Ice-types, since they're the only ones not pelted by Hail.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I would love new ice types, as well as new ghost types. Especially ice though, because the existing ones look nice, but they really aren't the most powerful pokemon. Ghost types have plenty of powerful ones, but they also have some that aren't the most powerful. And maybe a few more dark types as well.

(Not including legendaries)

We already have Tyranitar, Weavile, Hydreigon, Spiritomb, Absol, Krookodile, Zoroark, Drapion, Umbreon, Murkrow line, and Houndoom. Honestly, there are already so many kickass dark types, I think GameFreak should focus on better ice types in gen 6.
They should also work on better psychic types, the only psychic pokemon I like are Alakazam (doesn't everyone?), Espeon, Metagross, Sigilyph and Reuniclus. I love the psychic type, BUT I WANT MOAR!!!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Unfortunately, like everything that came from 3rd gen (aside from Salamence), Walrein is a worse version of something that came before it. Walrein is a bad Lapras.

The problem with Ice isn't the weak Pokémon, it's the prevalence of Stealth Rock and Fighting-types. Being Water/Ice was a blessing in RBY where things first started, nowadays it's a curse. Instead, I'd like to see a boost to Hail. Rock-types are ****** defensively, but throw in Sand Stream and Tyranitar and Terrakion become behemoths. Hail is the weakest weather by far, with no reliable inducers (lolAbomasnow) and few boosts, and now that Snow Cloak was banned by Smogon (which isn't official but adopted by a good amount of people), it's become even worse. A boost to Hail would greatly help Ice-types, since they're the only ones not pelted by Hail.

What about the fact that Ice types lack more resistances and are outclassed by Water types? It's two of the comments I hear from every Pokemon fans as to why Ice types are worthless and in need for improvement.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Well, I would like to see more water types for sure but I would also like to see a bit more dragon and ice types while grass shouldn't be the weakest type out there.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well, I would like to see more water types for sure but I would also like to see a bit more dragon and ice types while grass shouldn't be the weakest type out there.

There's sooo many water types, though! Like, water types literally everywhere. XD; They kind of need the least enhancing given that it's hard to avoid water types. ;(

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
There's sooo many water types, though! Like, water types literally everywhere. XD; They kind of need the least enhancing given that it's hard to avoid water types. ;(
Well water does make up 70 percent of the surface of the planet, even Aqua mentioned it (Aqua wanted to provide a bigger home for all those water types out there too...) just like in real life. So it's not that shocking that water is widespread. We should get some more rock, and ground types though, I don't feel like there's enough.

Years
They should make some new water types, and then have a Hoenn remake, and add some of those new water types into Hoenn, since it's like 99% water. (Well okay not literally but there's a lot of water in Hoenn...)

I think more fire types could be good. (They can throw them in the Fiery Path and stuff in Hoenn remakes. lol) No seriously though, putting aside the thought and hope for Hoenn remakes, Sinnoh did not have any fire types really... Even tropical Hoenn had a few ice types. For the type of the starters, there definitely should be a good amount of that type, so the players who don't choose that starter can still use Pokemon of that type. I'd say there should be at least two evolution lines of each type, not including stand alone Pokemon, pr/evolutions of old Pokemon, starters, and legendaries... Preferably more than two, but at least two... And more if they are version exclusives. It's no fun if you're not able to use certain types. I guess if they don't introduce enough new Pokemon of any given type, they really should at least have old ones of that type be available.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well water does make up 70 percent of the surface of the planet, even Aqua mentioned it (Aqua wanted to provide a bigger home for all those water types out there too...) just like in real life. So it's not that shocking that water is widespread. We should get some more rock, and ground types though, I don't feel like there's enough.

Yeah balancing out the "earth" side through rock/ground would make water seem not so common, really. Plus most of the games are based almost entirely on land yet you have so many sea creatures and it's like "is the land deserted??" Well, I mean, ofc it isn't deserted but it's that kind of thing, really.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah I want to see rock and ground in other types of Pokemon (other than grass/fire/water etc) since they just add to the amount of water and so on types we already have. :( I mean there's like 6 or so water/ground mons or something crazy and I think there should be waaaayyy less. So yes, all for reducing water types with combinations!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
How about more Psychic-types? I mean a lot of psychic-types make me think of DNA and altered DNA, and if DNA is a theme, could we expect more Psychic-types to appear...?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
We still need more Fire types. The past two generations really haven't had anything going for them in terms of Fire types, and I'd love to see more. Also like to see less Bug types. They were rather prominent last generation in my opinion, so a smaller amount of them please.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2013
I think more ghost types and dark types are needed; both types are somewhat uncommon out of the rest of the 17 types.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
The most common type of all is water. The last thing we need is more water type pokemon. What pokemon is lacking of is pure steel type (there's only 5), and pure flying type (there's only 1).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd like to think that if there's more steels there would be more dragons in a way, to kind of even it up so that there's steel AND dragon, so the former cancels out the latter, etc, so we probably should expect more steels (and pure ones at that!)

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
All I really want is a dragon-type that you can find at the start of the game. :D

But I do agree that there should be more ghost, dark, and psychic types in the near future.

We still need more Fire types. The past two generations really haven't had anything going for them in terms of Fire types, and I'd love to see more. Also like to see less Bug types. They were rather prominent last generation in my opinion, so a smaller amount of them please.

What do you mean - haven't had anything going for them? The fire types have been done extremely well in the past 2 gens, I'll have you know. We have Chandelure, Darmanitan, and Volcarona in gen 5 alone, I don't see why you think this way towards fire types. I believe fire-types should remain moderately rare, but powerful throughout the series. Bugs and water 'mons are very common, but generally very weak. Do you really want the fire type to be powered down in exchange for higher numbers and more convenience?

Last edited:
Back