• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
As far as I can tell, the theoretical max for each type of script (Person, script, or signpost) is 255 per. However, only 16 person events can be displayed at a given time on a given screen. Otherwise, I think that's it...although it'd probably lag if you put that many scripts on a map.

Thanks, but I have another question... (Just trying to get everything out at once) When the command "spritebehave" is used, is it a permanent change to the sprite's behavior? (By behavior I mean what they do such as walking around or looking left or something) Thanks.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Thanks, but I have another question... (Just trying to get everything out at once) When the command "spritebehave" is used, is it a permanent change to the sprite's behavior? (By behavior I mean what they do such as walking around or looking left or something) Thanks.

The change is temporary. If you called such a command in a script, the person will continue to have that behavior until you leave the map, either by warping or walking. The only way to have it as a permanent change is to place it in a level script.

SacredMurathJohn

ROM Hacking
Years
The badges' palette is odd...when I tried to use other colors besides the first five, the game would crash when I opened the trainer card. Be careful if you do edit the palette...it might cause similar pitfalls. Make a backup, of course, and if the game does do something crazy, you'll just have to use the old palette.

Anyway, the palette is either at 0x3CD2C0 or0x3CD2E0. Both of the palettes at these offsets are identical, so there's nothing I can do to determine which is the right one. Just try both and see what you get.

Both of them are not pallettes. But you gave me an idea and I found the palette offset from UNLZ-GBA and changed with APE.
Thanks so much.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2013
How do I check if player's money is bigger than a variable (or how do I store money in a variable)?

this code doesn't work (treats var as value):
setvar 0x[var] 0x[ammount]
checkmoney 0x[var] 0x0

redriders180

Years
How do I check if player's money is bigger than a variable (or how do I store money in a variable)?

this code doesn't work (treats var as value):
setvar 0x[var] 0x[ammount]
checkmoney 0x[var] 0x0

The "Checkmoney" routine requires a word as it's input, and variables are only half-words. The easiest way is ASM...I will gladly write you a simple routine, but I can't find where the money is stored in the RAM. Once I find it, I'll send the routine to you in a VM.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
When hacking your own music into the game, what does it mean when it says get your "midi"? Cause the tut I found says how to do it all and what to do with your midi, but it doesn't say what that is. Is it a conversion of a mp3 file or something?

Also, how long does it usually take to make your own hack? I'm just making one of FR by myself, and one other person drawing my new Pokemon as pixels, I'm doing, or at least trying to do, all the scripting on my own. So far I've been working on it about 2 and a half months.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
When hacking your own music into the game, what does it mean when it says get your "midi"? Cause the tut I found says how to do it all and what to do with your midi, but it doesn't say what that is. Is it a conversion of a mp3 file or something?

Also, how long does it usually take to make your own hack? I'm just making one of FR by myself, and one other person drawing my new Pokemon as pixels, I'm doing, or at least trying to do, all the scripting on my own. So far I've been working on it about 2 and a half months.

A MIDI is a type of music file that you can compose using MIDI editing programs, and most game systems use some sort of MIDI as the music. MP3's cannot be used in hacking at all, you need to search for the MIDI file of whatever music you want to insert, due to the... I want to say simplicity, but that's not the right word. More of the layout of MIDI files allowing for an easier difference of the instruments and voicegroups in the file, whereas MP3 files are more compressed... It's difficult, but basically MIDI files are a different kind of music files that can be composed and created using specific programs on the computer, and can be used in games such as Pokemon.

If you want a really really good hack, it can take years. For one that is reasonably basic, then it takes months. It depends on the hack and the hacker, as well as what you want to include. ASM heavy hacks take ages due to the knowledge needed or the work, whereas small script edits and graphics take a shorter amount of time (depending on the scripts). So it depends.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2012
Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.

You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2012

You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.

I have XSE. I just didn't know it gave me the offset to put into A-Map. Where do I find that?

Sorry for being an idiot.

Edit: Never mind. Figured it out. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
A MIDI is a type of music file that you can compose using MIDI editing programs, and most game systems use some sort of MIDI as the music. MP3's cannot be used in hacking at all, you need to search for the MIDI file of whatever music you want to insert, due to the... I want to say simplicity, but that's not the right word. More of the layout of MIDI files allowing for an easier difference of the instruments and voicegroups in the file, whereas MP3 files are more compressed... It's difficult, but basically MIDI files are a different kind of music files that can be composed and created using specific programs on the computer, and can be used in games such as Pokemon.

If you want a really really good hack, it can take years. For one that is reasonably basic, then it takes months. It depends on the hack and the hacker, as well as what you want to include. ASM heavy hacks take ages due to the knowledge needed or the work, whereas small script edits and graphics take a shorter amount of time (depending on the scripts). So it depends.

So, if I found a song on YouTube or have a song that I like as an mp3 (I'm not asking to use mp3s in the game) would there be any way to put those songs into the game?

Dang...I've seen people who get together on here and make hacks, how would I go about possibly getting some help? Cause I know that since my hack is FR it wouldn't take as long as a Black and White hack, but I do have a lot of ideas for it and I don't want it to take too long. :/

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
So, if I found a song on YouTube or have a song that I like as an mp3 (I'm not asking to use mp3s in the game) would there be any way to put those songs into the game?

Dang...I've seen people who get together on here and make hacks, how would I go about possibly getting some help? Cause I know that since my hack is FR it wouldn't take as long as a Black and White hack, but I do have a lot of ideas for it and I don't want it to take too long. :/

No, unless you can find a MIDI file of the same song on the internet.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I have XSE. I just didn't know it gave me the offset to put into A-Map. Where do I find that?

Sorry for being an idiot.

What you need to do is set your script out like:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @Start
lock
etc.
etc.
etc.

Making sure all your @pointers are like that, not specific numbers. Then in the 'file' section of XSE, the bit just above where you type the script, open up your ROM.

If you then hit the compile button, which looks like two gears, it will check the ROM for errors and then give you the offsets. Use the copy button to copy the '@Start' part of your script, or whatever you have called the first pointer, and paste that into the offset box in A-Map.

redriders180

Years
Is there a link or something where I can find a lot of different MIDI files?

My favorite resource for midi files is here. There are a ton of ripped music from other video games, meaning it's perfect for finding simple midi files, instead of very complex ones (10 tracks IS the minimum, after all)

I should've realised I never added a link...>_<

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
My favorite resource for midi files is here. There are a ton of ripped music from other video games, meaning it's perfect for finding simple midi files, instead of very complex ones (10 tracks IS the minimum, after all)

That sucks, cause you know there's all those cool battle remixes on YouTube and I was hoping I could use something like that, not just another song that's exactly like all the other original games.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
That sucks, cause you know there's all those cool battle remixes on YouTube and I was hoping I could use something like that, not just another song that's exactly like all the other original games.

Some remixes are actually created using MIDI files. The site that was linked may contain some (if it was vgmusic, as I am unsure as to the site linked because this laptop sucks)

redriders180

Years
Some remixes are actually created using MIDI files. The site that was linked may contain some (if it was vgmusic, as I am unsure as to the site linked because this laptop sucks)

I actually did something stupid...I never posted a link. I just edited my previous post to have the link. It was vgmusic, so good call, Banjora :)

Edit: I was actually going to say that .midi files are fairly easy to remix, since they are set amount of different tracks, you can cut and paste a bunch of different ones together, if you wanted to. I've only dabbled a very small amount in the GBA music, partly because I always play all Pokemon games on mute, so I might not be able to help as much as someone more experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back