• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Candra Software

PKHeX User
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 29, 2017
Rapidash

I'm assuming you're talking her blue sprite, right? Blue pose is kinda pretty, to say the least. What I do is simply and logically call the sprites Green (Japanese Red and Green) and Blue (Blue, and International versions of Red and Blue).

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
I really don't understand what happened with Exeggcute's sprite during Gen I.

Here's its Japanese Red and Green front sprite:

Spr_1g_102.png

Here's the back sprite:

Spr_b_g1_102.png

Okay, now bearing in mind that Pokemon Red and Blue take on the supposed "graphical updates" of the Japanese Pokemon Blue, this is the "updated" sprite from those games:

Spr_1b_102.png

What in the name of christ happened?! Did the middle egg suddenly contract gigantism?

I think this kind of thing happened with quite a few Pokemon in Red and Blue. Koffing randomly switching its skull and crossbones to its forehead comes to mind.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
Haha what a great post!
I remember that most of the RBG sprites bother me when i was a kid and i always think.. "Why? Why X pokemon looks like this when the artwork its so much diferent", specially with the last evo of my starter sprite, Venusaur.. His RB back sprite always disgusted me xDD

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Yea,I agree used to think that all the time :P. Back then R/B/G/Y were GB games so I guess that's why the sprites are a bit...ergh. Looking at one of Exeggcute's sprites, the middle egg suddenly turned into a giant somehow ._.

Even now,some of the sprites look kind of funny to me...

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
tumblr_lsr78jmjvi1qz4ghlo1_500.png

Which reminded me, saw this pic a while ago on Tumblr where you can see basically the evolution (no pun haha) of Pikachu's sprites. I think I like them up till 2nd gen and 3rd gen is where they start going down for me. Although I do like the orangy colour in some of the later sprites, but not the model at all.

what game are those bottom right from?

Years
what game are those bottom right from?

Those two on the bottom right are Pikachu's second frame sprites from Diamond & Pearl.

I've heard of all these rumors that Pikachu "lost weight" as the series went on, but it was actually the result of the changes and improvements in art design.

But going in-depth into the Pikachu sprites, I have to say the Red/Blue sprite almost looks like a Raichu:

Spr_1b_025.png

I mean, look at the tail and ears, that almost made me think it was Raichu.

Sprites often go through drastic changes with each generation, such as improvements in color, shape and design etc.

I mean, take a look at Koffing. This was its Red/Blue sprite:

Spr_1b_109.png

And now here's its Black/White/Black 2/White 2 sprite to compare:

Spr_5b_109.png

Notice how out-of-place sprite designs were back in the early days? Koffing looked so odd but the symbol on its body got corrected from Yellow onwards to match the official Sugimori art.

Other notable ones including Chikorita being yellow in Gold/Silver but was made light green in Crystal to match its official art.

Spr_2g_152.png
Spr_2c_152.gif

Same with Sneasel being brown/blue in G/S but changed to its usual black/red colors in Crystal.

Spr_2g_215.png
Spr_2c_215.gif

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This isn't the place to ask, nor is it even related to the thread. You might consider asking in Art and Design, but I'm not sure if they could help you either. This thread is for 2D game sprite discussion and comparison, and not for spriting or anything of the sort.

Years
There are a few R/B sprites that I think are pretty awesome:
Spr_1b_130.png
Spr_1b_012.png
Spr_1b_080.png
Spr_1b_031.png
Spr_1b_034.png

Look at that Gyardos! So awesome looking! I hate most of its sprites (except Gold, FR/LG and HG/SS) because they make it look odd. The old R/B one made it look like it was coming up to murder everything in its way!

I put Butterfree down because I think it probably has the most detailed design. I mean, look at those wings! They are absolutely gorgeous compared to some other sprites *coughArbokcough*

As for Slowbro, Nidoqueen and Nidoking, I just think they look awesome. I love the way the shell looks on Slowbro's tail. Shame they never made another sprite look like this one. Nidoqueen and Nidoking just look like they are ready to beat down your pokemon XD

While talking about these sprites, has anyone else noticed that slowbro's sprite for Emerald has him with a blue tongue? Guess they got lazy with changing specific colors and just got the whole thing XD
Spr_3e_080_s.gif

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I actually love that Butterfree sprite myself. idk why, it just makes it look like...WELL it just gives me this "I should use that on my team!" feeling haha.

The other sprites you listed look good. They are some of the better looking sprites of that generation.

Years
I liked that pose in the sprite of Butterfree there, but it's eyes look creepy :|

And with Slowbro's Shiny sprite in Emerald, it's not the only Shiny sprite in that game to have a coloring error. Totodile had the same problem, the spikes on its back are miscolored red when they should be blue.

Spr_3e_158_s.gif

Years
And with Slowbro's Shiny sprite in Emerald, it's not the only Shiny sprite in that game to have a coloring error. Totodile had the same problem, the spikes on its back are miscolored red when they should be blue.

Spr_3e_158_s.gif

o_O Wow, I guess that messed up on a few sprites. On another note, am I the only one who likes the sprite for gen 5 crobat, even though they gave it feet?

Spr_5b_169.png

I like the sprites for this gen and gen 2 but 3 and 4 gave it that weird butt problem :'(

Spr_3r_169.png
Spr_4h_169.png

I also stumbled upon a picture of crobat in Battle Revolution (not sure if that is right as I've never actually played it) and found this horrible image!

Spoiler:

What is up with those teeth?! It looks like it ripped out part of the jaw from a human and is using that for a mouth guard :cer_disbelief: (sorry for this not being a sprite but I think it pertains to the sprites not having those horrendous teeth)

EDIT: Just thought of something..... if they add put crobat in 3d for gen 6, it will have those teeth!

Years
o_O Wow, I guess that messed up on a few sprites. On another note, am I the only one who likes the sprite for gen 5 crobat, even though they gave it feet?

Spr_5b_169.png

I like the sprites for this gen and gen 2 but 3 and 4 gave it that weird butt problem :'(

Spr_3r_169.png
Spr_4h_169.png

I also stumbled upon a picture of crobat in Battle Revolution (not sure if that is right as I've never actually played it) and found this horrible image!

Spoiler:

What is up with those teeth?! It looks like it ripped out part of the jaw from a human and is using that for a mouth guard :cer_disbelief: (sorry for this not being a sprite but I think it pertains to the sprites not having those horrendous teeth)

EDIT: Just thought of something..... if they add put crobat in 3d for gen 6, it will have those teeth!

Oh god that is one creepy pic of Crobat...

But yeah, I was kinda surprised that most of Crobat's sprites prior to 5th Generation lacked visible feet. I mean look at its official Sugimori art:

260px-169Crobat.png

It clearly shows feet on that, but even though this art was for HG/SS, the sprite in said game did not show visible feet. However, Crobat's 3rd Generation back sprite did show its feet.

Spr_b_3r_169.png

However, it wasn't until 5th Generation that they finally made both its front and back sprites have feet, and that's mainly because sprite designs have improved with each new generation.

Years
However, it wasn't until 5th Generation that they finally made both its front and back sprites have feet, and that's mainly because sprite designs have improved with each new generation.

I wouldn't say all sprites have always improved with each new generation (just look at some gen 3/4 sprites... ) but they do always seem to fix them. Glad gen 5 was a great success with sprites though!

Spr_3r_031.png
(Gen 3 Nidoqueen is not happy)

Years
I always find things I've never seen before when reading about Pokemon sprites, that Feraligatr find is hilarious.

I just found this while searching for my avatar, it doesn't even look like Primeape. I feel for anyone who bought Green.

Spr_1g_057.png

Sprites are going to be very different in X&Y, possibly a bigger evolution than from Gen II to III.

Years
Since the thread has been dead for a few days I think I have a good idea for a new topic to bring up.

I saw this thread in Fifth Generation Gaming that got locked which involved someone comparing Garchomp's normal and shiny colors.

I mean, if one looks closely you'd have to look very hard to see which of these Garchomp sprites is the shiny:

445-f.png
445-f.png

It's actually the one on the right that's the shiny one, but I did have to admit the fact Garchomp's color difference is not that drastic compared to most Pokemon. Most Pokemon usually have major differences between the normal and shiny colors but others, like Glaceon and Lillipup are basically a lighter or darker shade of their normal colors.

Garchomp is probably the worst example of shiny Pokemon with colors too similar to the normal colors, but what other Pokemon do you think have not much differences between their normal and shiny sprites? Feel free to discuss!

@Nuke: Yeah the transition to 3D in X & Y will definitely make a big evolution as we go from sprites to 3D models.

Back