• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you ever play the original green?

Years
Don't forget that Japanese Red Version was similar to Green Version, so why do peolple always just say "Green Version"?

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Don't forget that Japanese Red Version was similar to Green Version, so why do peolple always just say "Green Version"?
Because Red could easily be confused with the Red paired with Blue rather than the one with green.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I played the ROM version, but no - not on the GBC.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I played both (green and red) I found them on a flea market of the japanese school not too far from where I live so I bought them :) I actually think some sprites were better than the later sprites :lol:

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I never even knew of its existence until I started joining Pokemon communities online... back in 2006.

So no, I haven't. It's too old and too Japanese for me. I have had a hard time going back to RBY ever since FR/LG came out. It's just hard on my eyes...

Totodilesteel99

Lord of Awesomeness
Years
I have the actually cartridge
It was my older brothers, but i kept keeping on untill he gave it to me.
Can't read japanese though... Lol...
I can just tell what the words say, because I've played Kanto games repeatedly.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Nope, Green was never released here, and I've never bothered getting a Japanese game, simply because I've never been as dedicated a fan of Pokemon as some are. I don't think I'd really want it anyways though, since it appears to be quite buggy compared to the other two, and it's essentially the same, so I wouldn't really gain anything out of it, other than adding it to the collection of my currently one remaining Pokemon game ;(

Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2012
What exactly are the differences in green? Just different sprites or are there gameplay changes?

Years
Aside from about 10 minutes worth of playing on a badly-translated ROM, I never played Pokemon Green. And as far as I can recall, there weren't too many differences between the originals and the English Red/Blue besides some different sprites, bug fixes and other minor changes, so I didn't bother trying to play through the whole thing.

Years
Nope, I never did as it wasn't released where I am.

In fact, I never played any Gen 1 games for that matter.

Pinta77

I never played green version. I havent even played red or blue.

MrAPT1

That one guy who does stuff
Years
Yeah, I own a Green Version. Never really did much with it though. It's fun to play on my super gameboy or Jap pokemon stadiums, since I can see all the weird sprites in color.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
No I never played the original actual copy of it, but I have played it on an emulator. I know how bad the graphics are, so I don't want to say to myself that I actually want to play it on a GBA or GBC.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I own both the Japanese Green and Japanese Red versions.

I have Green because my family used to live in Japan, but we moved to the US in 2001 (not worth mentioning as much, but my brother owns a Japanese Silver version that no longer saves, along with a Japanese version of that Pokemon Pinball game with the rumble thingy).

I have Red because I won it on eBay several months ago. It came with the box, instruction manual (containing REALLY OLD artwork that looks awesome - did you guys know that the sprites in the Japanese Red/Green versions that everyone thinks looks horrible are actually based off of the VERY FIRST Sugimori art of these Pokemon? They're different from the slightly newer Sugimori art that they started using in 1998 with the Japanese Blue version and the English Red/Blue releases), and most importantly, it came with a huge poster of artwork depicting the entire Kanto region, labeled with it's Japanese names and all. It's pretty awesome.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
I was interested in playing it. However, I never truly pursued finding any means of being able to play it. Yellow was amazing enough to not really care enough to try out the Japanese's third installment.
Pretty much the same here. I didn't care enough to try Green after Yellow came out. Besides, Yellow was really cool all by itself. In my opinion, Yellow could have been the only Pokémon game released at the time and I'd be content.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
No I've never played the original Green Version before but I would like to have a copy for my collection even if I don't play it.

Pizzey

Shutter-Shaded Minccino
Years
I'm playing the ROM right now, but I've been looking at getting a cartridge with my after-Christmas money.

It's fun to see how well I know the game without being able to read it :D

Back