• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Gym Leaders Speculation

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
I rewatched the direct video. I am guessing Bug, Grass, Psychic, Fire(or Ghost), Ground(or Fire) fill in 2 other types and hope for a dark.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
They haven't made Dark Gym type, and please no more water Gym type.

Well a water gym won't be that bad if it re-appears. They haven't been overly common, iirc, and there's still lots of things you can do with a water gym. Like, it could be a rainforest or something and the gym leader being part-monkey or something awesome like that with tropical water-based mons. Though I... somewhat doubt it, but they can still get creative!

TheLegendaryMew

Pokemon X and Y October 2013!!
Years
1: Bug type
2: Normal/Fire type
3: Grass type
4: Ground type
5: Steel type
6: Poison type
7: Dark type
8: Ice type

Doubt this would happen. This means that if you chose fennekin as a starter and trained it well, you could beat half of the gyms just on type advantage alone.

I personally want to see a dark gym as well. Been long overdue for one.

Also a dragon type gym would be cool as well (have we had a dragon type gym before?)

Last edited:

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Dark Type Gym leaders are what evryone is asking. I have a thought about a dark gym, it is based on my fanmade gym idea: An illusion labyrinth where, at first glance, a path looks like a dead end but when you are 1-2 tiles away from the dead end, the path will be revealed.

jfmario

Whismur
Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2013
I believe someone already said this, but I have always wanted Gym Leaders to have cool strategies instead of being just mono-type. It is too easy to beat them like that. Some strategies that Gym Leaders could have could be:

A weather based team (sunny day, rain dance, hail, sandstorm)

An Eevee based team (this would be really interesting)

There could be a team for status inducing moves

A defensive team

An offensive team

A team that uses stat boosting moves (baton pass?)

It would also be interesting to see another trainer/gym leader have a minor legendary like one of the birds or golems like they do in the anime.

This would be great. You can walk through monotypical gym with 2 pokemon of the correct level.
Pokemon teams that work well together would be good. Perhaps a 2 on 2 fight where they keep two different types out in a balanced way.

I like your theme-based team idea regarding the weather. That way, it's still thematic but not easy.

It might also be nice if some gym leaders had that usual "rival" team with pokemon all over the spectrum.

Anything but types again.

ETA: Or perhaps 2-type gym leaders. Instead of having a "rock pokemon gym", having a "rock and ice gym" where they have a half and half team might be better.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2016
I'm thinking

1. Poison
2. Ground
3. Bug
4. Grass
5. Ghost
6. Water
7. Psychic
8. Steel

E4:
1. Electric
2. Dark
3. Fire
4. Fighting

Poison seems like a good type to start off with (it isn't overpowered or anything) plus I think we have a lack off Poison gyms.

Ground after seeing the deserty plus Europe is quite hilly so ground seems like a good choice and again we've had a few early ground types in the past Sandshrew, Geodude, Phanpy (Crystal), Nincada, Drilbur, Diglett, Onix and Wooper

Bug as we've seen a web perhaps hinting at a spider Pokemon. I would guess the spider is the main party member so it would be something akin to Ariados which is available at level 22 around the level this gym would be at.

Grass fairly easy type to beat and still relevantly early game, again we have a lack of them (Not counting Cilan) and seeing a forest perhaps hint at lots of grass types usable for the gym. Also the vine area looks like a gym puzzle

Ghost has no reasoning other than it is really under represented and it is in a similar place order to Morty and Fantina.

Water we have lots of good strong water types that could be used and we always get a Water gym (minus BW1). They've been 2nd, 4th and 8th the only even number left is 6 and it seems a good place considering how strong the next two types are.

Psychic we've seen what appears to be a Psychic gym and Psychic has always been a later game type in terms of gym leader/E4 because we've had 3 E4 members (Will, Lucian and Caitlin) and 2 Leaders (The twins (7th) and Sabrina (6th)). I've placed it in a similar position to the previous gyms.

Steel is a really resistant type with almost everything hitting it for not very effective it could be a great type and a lot of Steel types are late game; Aggron, Steelix, Metagross, Magnezone, Bisharp and Ferrothorn to name a few. We've seen the previous 2 Steel gyms as the 6th gym but neither have been challenging as they've had unevolved Pokemon on their rosters here hopefully their team will be fully evolved.

As for the E4

Electric we see it every gen, it could make for an interesting E4 team and it has some existing hard hitters that could be used in a late game team; Magnezone, Electivire, Eelektross, etc. And has lots of potential for new strong Electric types

Dark has never been a gym and I don't think it will change this time. It seems to be a Game Freak favourite for E4 as it has been in every E4 minus Gen 4 since the type was introduced.

Fire because we've seen the pillars of flame and they have some formidable Pokemon; Arcanine, Darmanitan, Chandelure, etc.

And finally Fighting one of the most effective types in the game and has a lot of good Pokemon in Machoke, Mienshao, Conkeldurr, Lucario and Heracross say hello.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I'm expecting a Rock Gym, Dark Gym and a Fire Gym.

We haven't seen those in a while.

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
I want a steel/ghost gym. I dont think we've ever had those. Dark type gym... meh tbh.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Gyms I'd like to see for this generation:

Electric Gym (Just to shake things up, 1st gym....sucks to be you Froakie)
Water Gym (early gym, 2nd or 3rd)
Psychic Gym (Middling gym, 3rd-5th)
Grass Gym (Middling gym, 3rd-5th)
Bug Gym (a tough one, i.e. 4th-6th gym)
Rock Gym (not an early one, somewhere between 4th-7th gym)
Fire Gym (late 6th-8th gym)
Dark Gym (possibly 7th or 8th gym)

Although I included a grass gym, I would like if they had a grass type elite four member for once.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I want a steel/ghost gym. I dont think we've ever had those. Dark type gym... meh tbh.

We've had them before! Both were in Johto even, but if there was a combination gym of steel and ghost, that would be really... interesting. I wouldn't mind if that was a combination of what the gym leader had because it'd add new strategies other than just spamming a dark type move, and actually thinking about your moves more. :3

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
I just hope the gyms are harder I remember playing pokemon red and losing to Brock a million times because I started with charmander and always captured pikachu and pidgy now by the time I get to the first gym I'm already over leveled up and defeating these gyms too easy plus I wanna petition to have gym leaders have pokemon from other gens even if you can't catch em in the game like a ghost gym having a gangar or fire gym with magmar or electric gym with electabuzz

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I just hope the gyms are harder I remember playing pokemon red and losing to Brock a million times because I started with charmander and always captured pikachu and pidgy now by the time I get to the first gym I'm already over leveled up and defeating these gyms too easy plus I wanna petition to have gym leaders have pokemon from other gens even if you can't catch em in the game like a ghost gym having a gangar or fire gym with magmar or electric gym with electabuzz

I doubt that gym leaders will have Pokemon that they don't appear in the regional dex. I mean the point is to kind of advertise what actually is found in the region imo.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
In my opinion I had a radical idea in which you would make decisions which would end up with you being able to fight against two or three different types of gym leaders based on that decision, sorta like the Striaton gym but its not bound by your starter or version.

Overall I think these may be the gym types they go with

1 - Rock
2 - Normal
3 - Fire
4 - Psychic
5 - Ghost
6 - Grass
7 - Ice
8 - Steel

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
In my opinion I had a radical idea in which you would make decisions which would end up with you being able to fight against two or three different types of gym leaders based on that decision, sorta like the Striaton gym but its not bound by your starter or version.

Ya that'd fun. But that depends on what the decisions are, really. If it's just questions in a quiz that's kind of boring but if it was some sort of maze you went through in order to make the decisions I'd very much embrace that.

Back