• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add New Pokemon In 15 Easy Steps!

firekoopa

Combat the Infinite
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2020
Omg, u recieved Misty!
Epic Tutorial. But you don't really add them. You replace them..

saison

Black Knight of Dusk
Years
Sorry, I wasn't able to reply to this in quite a while, but I have a question about the space in the ROM.
I've decided to say forget FSF because it will always give me space, but when I use those pointers the sprite comes out all corrutped, so for the backsprite's image I'll use 00x800000 for that part, but I'm never sure how many lines of data it will take up depending on the sprite's amount of bytes. So, for the palette I ended up jumping to 00x810000. That works, but I will end up leaving a ton of empty space unused.

So, my question is how would I determine now many lines of hex I will be using up, corresponding to the amount of bytes for the image I'm using. I don't need help with how much space the palette is going to take though.

Darthenia

Learner Hacker
Years
Hey, I followed the instructions to the letter, everything seemed tickety-boo but when I encountered him in the wild he was fragmented. you can still see that its the correct palette.. just all lines and gaps???
(I tried to include screenies but it says I havnt posted enough yet soree)
Any help would be muchos appreciados :D
Danka,
xxDarthxx

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2009
Nice tutorial =D This will certainly help me if I would add custom Pokémon!

(Notice: At step 10 you wrote: "Add ten to it and right it down." Shouldn't it be "write"? O_O Sorry, just noticed :P)

JerisEnigma1337

Rocket Recruited Trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2013
Okay, I have one MAJOR error... Still!
I followed all the steps exactly in Emerald and put my new mon in the slot after Celebi AKA 252.
THAT sprite is normally 2 questions marks... And when I add the new monster, my sprite doesn't show up, just the ??'s!
It added the sprite in properly and everything works ie no glitches, corruption or lag etc... My sprites just aren't appearing! And yes, I did do the PokeEdit step to change the offset to mine T_T
Any suggestions??? I think I'm having the same error as willj016 was, but no luck correcting it...

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2009
Hey um i tried this on my ruby i made a sprite of sora from kingdom hearts CoM and i replaced torchic for it and when i was selecting my starter i clicked torchic and the colors on the screen inverted and froze

What happened i did it like you said

And then i tried it on fire red same sprite but on charezard this time and this time i start the game but when i leave my house the music skips and the game crashes

Last edited:

triplexh18

call me Oscizor
Years
Can i have some help with this i'm trying to put Lopunny in my Emerald

I did all the steps this tutorial said and i used the slot after Celebi

I decreased the image size to 64x64 i did everything but once i tried encountering it the game froze before it even showed the sprite

so far i only did the front sprite i have added no animations or any other sprites just the front

i didn't add any other pokemon as this is my first attempt so far and it has also corrupted my Emerald save(thank goodness for back ups)

can someone help me with this because Lopunny(probably Garchomp too) is the only Pokemon i plan on adding to the game

rokrdude

POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Thanks for the tutorial but

Is there any easy way to edit pokemon icons other than using iconed ?
I have been able to change sprites but no luck with icons!!!

Can anyone provide a link to guide or video how to change icons??

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
Years
i put the sprite and everything but when it appears the pokemon is in a box of a different color to the back ground i need help

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Thanks for the tutorial but

Is there any easy way to edit pokemon icons other than using iconed ?
I have been able to change sprites but no luck with icons!!!

Can anyone provide a link to guide or video how to change icons??
Check the link in my sig :P
i put the sprite and everything but when it appears the pokemon is in a box of a different color to the back ground i need help
The transparent colour must be the first colour in the palette. So if the Pokémon has a pink background, the first colour in the palette must be pink.

The tutorial is a bit outdated with Advanced Series out, though. tpravetz, if you're still maintaining this, you should probably add a section on using A-Series rather than IconED and UnLZ-GBA.

Years
Can i have some help with this i'm trying to put Lopunny in my Emerald

I did all the steps this tutorial said and i used the slot after Celebi

I decreased the image size to 64x64 i did everything but once i tried encountering it the game froze before it even showed the sprite

so far i only did the front sprite i have added no animations or any other sprites just the front

i didn't add any other pokemon as this is my first attempt so far and it has also corrupted my Emerald save(thank goodness for back ups)

can someone help me with this because Lopunny(probably Garchomp too) is the only Pokemon i plan on adding to the game
no, sorry about this, but if you want to add any new pokemon to emerald, you will need 64x128 image, 2 frames of one pokemon since emerald has animation
like this: http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx316/blacksupernova_photo/pokemon/Giratinafrontsprite.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Or use Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor instead. It's faster and easier to use than unLZ-GBA (and doesn't require indexed sprites).

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2011
I had an issue... I tried to replace Bulbasaur with a pokemon, if I chose that one as my starter from oak's table, all the people sprites dissapear and the game freezes. If I choose squirtle and rival gets 'bulbasaur' this happens:
thaglitch.png

anybody know how in the world I did this? (or how to fix it?)

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2010
Poke Edit Pro won't work for me. When i try to open it it says Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of it's dependacies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Back