• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalRose

Maiden
Years
If there is anything, it will be in the rom hack resouces thread stickied just below this one. Most of those tilesets you see in hacks are drawn by the creater of the hack, specifically for their hack. So, if you're not an artist, and you can't find a rom base, you'll need to enlist an artist. Its a very sought after thing.

Aaaah, I see now. Thanks a lot for the answer. But since I'm still a noob, I don't really know exactly what are rom bases for. So, could you make things more clear to me, especially on how to use them?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Aaaah, I see now. Thanks a lot for the answer. But since I'm still a noob, I don't really know exactly what are rom bases for. So, could you make things more clear to me, especially on how to use them?

Rom bases are just .ips or .ups patches containing things like tilesets, 649 pokemon, lowercase everything, etc. You can apply them, just like you would a hack that you downloaded. I don't know if you have ever downloaded a hack, but .ips patches can be done with Luner IPS.

In general, a rom base is anything you use to build a hack on top of. Sometimes it's a clean rom, other times it's like JPAN's hacked engine. What you are looking for is a tileset rombase, and remember, they are specific to each game.

edit: Here is the thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193327

There are several Firered rom bases right in the first post.

wierddude22

New hacker
Years
Well, i changed rom. Used a new rombase anc checked with an actual rom.
But guess what

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufkm1OOH46c
This happens and I'm starting to think that, maybe it's me.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Is it me, or is it something else. Thanks in advance.

Edit; It was done with no pokemon in my party and the trainer is 004 on A-Trainer (Dunno if this helps or not)

Years
Rom bases are just .ips or .ups patches containing things like tilesets, 649 pokemon, lowercase everything, etc. You can apply them, just like you would a hack that you downloaded. I don't know if you have ever downloaded a hack, but .ips patches can be done with Luner IPS.

In general, a rom base is anything you use to build a hack on top of. Sometimes it's a clean rom, other times it's like JPAN's hacked engine. What you are looking for is a tileset rombase, and remember, they are specific to each game.

Are the rom bases, specifically the new tile sets, compatible with hacks that are already in progress?

karatekid552

Years
Well, i changed rom. Used a new rombase anc checked with an actual rom.
But guess what

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufkm1OOH46c
This happens and I'm starting to think that, maybe it's me.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Is it me, or is it something else. Thanks in advance.

Edit; It was done with no pokemon in my party and the trainer is 004 on A-Trainer (Dunno if this helps or not)

For the script, don't use the lock and release comands for a trainerbattle. Also, on your msgbox, get rid of MSG_NORMAL and instead use "callstd 0x6" on the next line. It works much better.

The kids trainer class is what is making gary pop up before the battle. So, if you don't want him their, change it. Also, try it with pokemon on both sides. If you don't have pokemon, it doesn't matter what you do, you won't see stage 1 or 2.

Give all of these things a test and let me know how you fair.

Are the rom bases, specifically the new tile sets, compatible with hacks that are already in progress?

Sorry, you posted while I was posting.
Depends on what you've done to your hack. If you haven't changed any tileset data, you might be okay, but the rom bases might also have extra tilesets or expanded ones that take up more space than the origional ones. What I would do is just make a copy of your hack and apply the patch to the hack and then go through every single one of your tilesets and see how things were affected.

Also, placement of tiles most likely will be changed so you would have to redraw many of your maps.

All in all, it's not a good idea. Unless you know for sure that the person who made them only redrew exsisting tiles and didn't change the order or expand anything. You can still give it a try but it most likely will not work out well.

Last edited:

wierddude22

New hacker
Years
For the script, don't use the lock and release comands for a trainerbattle. Also, on your msgbox, get rid of MSG_NORMAL and instead use "callstd 0x6" on the next line. It works much better.

The kids trainer class is what is making gary pop up before the battle. So, if you don't want him their, change it. Also, try it with pokemon on both sides. If you don't have pokemon, it doesn't matter what you do, you won't see stage 1 or 2.

Give all of these things a test and let me know how you fair.

Well, i tried but nothing happened. So i decided to use a different rom. And nothing messed up. I guess something i did may have messed something up.
Although it was useful knowing that you didn't need to use lock/release.
Thanks

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
Hi there people. I hope I'm not being a bother by asking, because I seriously just made a profile here specifically for asking this one question.

I've been looking all over the internet for overworld/environment/building tilesets for Black and White. I've tried looking for some on here, but I can't find any, though I didn't look very hard, and this forum is an enormous place.

It's not for a game hack or anything. Just something I want for an amateur project thing that I'm doing in MS Paint. So if you could help me it would be so appreciated. :)

Lucho K

Powered Charizard
Years
Hi !
I was searching but found nothing... So...
I have a problem with Dive/Emerge on a map in Emerald Version
I selected the appropriate option on Connection (Dive on water, Emerge in underwater) and I already made the Dive option work but when underwater, I can't emerge
What can I do? Can you please help me?!
Thanx

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
It looks like you've only partially set which palette your background should use, rather than all of it. If you open your tileset/ tilemap combo in NTME, scroll down and switch to the palette view there should be a large section of the tilemap which has a different palette to the one you want. Reassign the palette used by these tiles, reinsert the tilemap and everything should look okay in-game.

It also looks like the white tiles are repeating over and over again, so I'm assuming that you haven't edited the lower half of the tilemap at all. You're going to have to do this as well if you want a seamless transition in the opening battlescreen.

Ok, so I followed you but it didn't worked out I edited the lower half but it keeps on repeating the very first tile on my tilemap.

And I used pallete #2 for all of the tiles but those just won't work right... :/

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Ok, so I followed you but it didn't worked out I edited the lower half but it keeps on repeating the very first tile on my tilemap.

And I used pallete #2 for all of the tiles but those just won't work right... :/

Hmm, I can't really offer any more advice without seeing what you've done so far for myself. Could you PM me your tileset, tilemap and palette data?

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
A couple of things using XSE in conjunction with Advance Map - all I want to be able to do is edit existing game dialogue, but A-text is far too buggy. Anyway:
Why can't I save existing scripts that I've changed one or two words in? I can only click Save As; I can't save the actual ROM.
I'm fairly new to this, despite having an interest in ROM hacking for a few years, but it's only recently that I've actually had the incentive...

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

Actually, XSE compiles msgbox to several less obvious commands that, when chained together, produce the desired message on screen, so it makes no difference whatsoever whether s/he uses MSG_NORMAL as an inline parameter, or if s/he follows it with a callstd 0x6.

Although, I believe that XSE doesn't like the older style of message followed by callstd, correct me if I'm wrong.

For the record, I think it's loadpointer, followed by callstd (Message Type).

Omega Zero

Is back...
Years
I need help with this:
Ok, so i created my own midi for my hack it loops and everything it's perfect!
When i play it in sappy it's got the right speed that i like
But when i play the game with the song in it the game speeds up the song and makes
it sound bad, does anyone know what's wrong with it?

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2016
I'm trying to make some custom moves, I won't need to make any new animations but I do need to change their sprites (for example, making signal beam blue instead of pink). How do I do this?

Also, would it be possible for me to duplicate a move? I want there to be more than one signal beam move, one normal and one blue.

karatekid552

Years
Actually, XSE compiles msgbox to several less obvious commands that, when chained together, produce the desired message on screen, so it makes no difference whatsoever whether s/he uses MSG_NORMAL as an inline parameter, or if s/he follows it with a callstd 0x6.

Although, I believe that XSE doesn't like the older style of message followed by callstd, correct me if I'm wrong.

For the record, I think it's loadpointer, followed by callstd (Message Type).

I'm not going to say your wrong because I have read that same thing in many places, but my copy of XSE, which I am pretty sure is the newest one, refuses to use the MSG_NORMAL or simple 0x6 at the end of msgboc @msg.

For the loadpointer, if it is needed, I've never had to do it. Through experimenting with all the different ways, I have found this set up to work flawlessly:

msgbox @msg
callstd 0x(msgtype)

Maybe some of .rbk files are missing some lines that prevents that. Hmm, maybe I should look a little deeper.

Anyway, in my own experience, I have downloaded scripts off the internet that wouldn't work, but as soon as I just modified all if the msgbox's to callstd afterwards, they did work. So, that's just where I figured XSE couldn't do it the other way. Maybe it's just mine.

Edit: Jambo, I would like to apoligize. I was using 1.0.0, not 1.1.1. I confirmed that inline msg comands do not work in 1.0.0. However, once I learned that I had an old version, I downloaded the new one and the inline commands worked just fine. Thanks for making me think about this one or I never would have updated.

I'm trying to make some custom moves, I won't need to make any new animations but I do need to change their sprites (for example, making signal beam blue instead of pink). How do I do this?

Also, would it be possible for me to duplicate a move? I want there to be more than one signal beam move, one normal and one blue.

Here is what Jambo51 has documented on adding new moves: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479
Here is what Chaos Rush has documented on move animations: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=281520

Now, if you wanted to edit the color, you could just open up Un-lz, find the image that corresponds to the animation and alter it's palette. I would make a new palette because there is no guarantee that something else is not using that palette.

However, having two moves with two different colors is tougher. You would need to take the image you found above, write down it's pointer, then take and edit it into a different color and insert it and it's new palette into some free space, making sure to write down it's new offset. Now, using both Jambo's and Chaos' tutorials/research, make a new move and copy all of the data from signal beam into the new slot. Now, change the graphic pointer to match the location of the new image and you should be all set.

If I am wrong in any way about this, someone please correct me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
Hi everyone and thanks to Karatekid for reply in the script topic.

I need to change the image of badges, those that appear in the trainer card.

I'm hacking Ruby and i don't have found into unzl the correct numbers for these sprites.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot :)

karatekid552

Years
Hi everyone and thanks to Karatekid for reply in the script topic.

I need to change the image of badges, those that appear in the trainer card.

I'm hacking Ruby and i don't have found into unzl the correct numbers for these sprites.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot :)

Took me a while, but I found them! They aren't conpressed graphics and therefore are not found in Un-lz. However, if you open up Tile Molester, they can be found at the offset 0x3B5AB8.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2013
So in advanced map I'm trying to make some rooms for the houses in one of the towns. I'm just using the list of rooms that went with the original town map but i noticed three of the rooms i cant alter individuality. if i change one they all change the same way. Is there a way i can change that so that i can make them all individual? I'm still new to rom hacking so sorry if this is an easy fix and i just don't know how :p also is there a way i can look through all the tilesets or can i only look at them individuality through the header?

Last edited:

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
A couple of things using XSE in conjunction with Advance Map - all I want to be able to do is edit existing game dialogue, but A-text is far too buggy. Anyway:
Why can't I save existing scripts that I've changed one or two words in? I can only click Save As; I can't save the actual ROM.
I'm fairly new to this, despite having an interest in ROM hacking for a few years, but it's only recently that I've actually had the incentive...

What you have to do is click the 'Compile' button in XSE. If I remember correctly (I used it the other day but don't keep notice of these things) it's a little gear graphic. You can also do it from the menu I think.

Just remember, if you're altering the existing dialogue, keep in mind that if you make a message that is larger then the original, chances are you will break the script or it will continue in another persons dialogue.

So in advanced map I'm trying to make some rooms for the houses in one of the towns. I'm just using the list of rooms that went with the original town map but i noticed three of the rooms i cant alter individuality. if i change one they all change the same way. Is there a way i can change that so that i can make them all individual? I'm still new to rom hacking so sorry if this is an easy fix and i just don't know how :p also is there a way i can look through all the pallets or can i only look at them individuality through the header?

I've noticed this as well, however I haven't really looked into it. I can explain though (I think). All the maps ARE the same map, they've done this so that all they need to do is alter the person/script data of the maps when you enter into a different house instead of creating the same map again and wasting space. You should be able to just make yourself a new map in Advance Map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back