• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need some help with my competitive battle team (Black Version)

Snorelacks

Suicide Lead
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Naive (+Speed, -Special Defense)
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Explosion
Fire Blast

This set has never failed to lay down Stealth Rock, literally. Most of the time Azelf gets to explode. Obviously, first turn, Stealth Rock/Taunt (Depending on the opponent), second turn, Stealth Rock/Fire Blast/Explosion (Depending on the last turn as well as the opponent), and repeat until Stealth Rock has been laid down and Azelf faints/explodes.

Physical Attacker/Sleep Support
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)
Spore
Seed Bomb
Mach Punch
Stone Edge

What can I say? This is really self-explanatory. Spore on anything slower than her and most that's faster, Mach Punch for revenge killing, Seed Bomb for strong STAB, and Stone Edge for good weakness coverage.

Special Glass Cannon
Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Hasty (+Speed, -Defense)
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Psychic

Gengar is FAST. Scarfed Gengar is a speed demon. The scarf allows him to outrun anything un-scarfed, bar Deoxys-S. The first three three attacks are standard for Scarfed Gengar. I use Psychic to get Fightings and other Poisons before they get to me. This set provides coverage of eleven different types. Try that with any other Glass Cannon.

Wall
Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Bold (+Defense, -Attack)
Recover
Surf
Ice Beam
Toxic

This set has proven to be very annoying for opponents, and on occasion it has won me battles where it was Milotic at the end vs. all three of the other guy's Pokemon. This set aims to out-stall anything it's not super-effective against and kill anything it is.

Physical Sweeper
Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)
Dragon Dance
Outrage
ExtremeSpeed/Earthquake
Fire Punch

Dragon Dance is the obligatory awesome set-up move. Outrage is the extremely powerful STAB move. ExtremeSpeed picks off the frail, fast, and weakened, and Earthquake gets great coverage. Fire Punch combos incredibly well with Outrage.

Sturdier Special Attacker
Eelektross @ Sitrus Berry
Nature: Modest (+Special Attack, -Attack)
Acid Spray
Thunderbolt
Grass Knot
Flamethrower

Thunderbolt, Grass Knot, and Flamethrower cover 8 fairly common types. All of them also have a fair number of Pokemon that they are 4x effective against. The main Pokemon that are 4x weak are Gyarados, Swanna, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Carracosta, Golem, and Rhyperior. Of course, there are lot more, those are just the more commonly seen ones.
Acid Spray is the secret weapon of this set. It's a 40 Base Power Special Poison-Type move. Nothing special. Actually, rather terrible. Except for its secondary effect. It is SURE to lower the target's special defense TWO STAGES, making it effectively an attacking Nasty Plot (more like Fake Tears, but you get the idea).

Please help me with this team, and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
Not quite sure if this meets the Competitive Battle Center standards or not, but I figured if it's at least in the right board, you can PM the moderators that actually know a thing or two about competitive strategy and change your thread enough to be up to par.

So, moved~

Snorelacks

---
I prefer Recover+Toxic over ResTalk for my Milotic. ResTalk makes you taunt bait, you can't use sleep talk if you're taunted. I also don't like the randomness of sleep talk (like, if I'm faced with a Jumpluff, for example [4x weakness to ice and a resistance to water] and sleep talk uses Surf instead of Ice Beam). Also, doesn't sleep talk have the possibility of using rest?

---
I will replace Brick Break for Thunder Wave. Twilight Sky makes good points.

---
I did give Milotic a lot of defensive EVs (it can stand up to a good 3 non-STAB Thunderbolts or Grass Knots, and it almost never faints on the first turn, it's only done it once [hit by a twice-boosted explosion in a triple battle]). For this reason, taunt is painful to my Milotic, but it can usually stand up to it. I usually do switch out if I become taunted, but it's usually for Zoroark (if he's still alive) just to U-Turn or something. This isn't a perfect strategy, but it works sometimes, and there is a decrease of people who use taunt now in Gen V (this isn't to say that it's not used anymore, just that, I've noticed it being used a little less).

---
I have some questions about Breloom. I tested her in the battle subway (which I usually do for all of my new additions, and she is a new addition) and realized that she kept dying on the first or second turn (so poison heal wasn't activated). Breloom's stats are:
124 Atk
90 Def
66 SpAtk
60 SpDef (I think that was what kept killing her)
70 Spe

What EV spread would you guys suggest? I need something somewhat defensive with a fair amount of attack and a little speed. So maybe 252 Attack/150 SpDef/100 Defense/6 Speed? Is that possible? I'm not great with EVs...

---
Quote:
I agree with you saying that you could possibly replace Serperior with Whimsicott. As far as I know(and I could be wrong while saying this), Serperior is usually good for dual screens and quick taunting, but I don't think there's much else beyond that. Unless you want to count Leaf Storm spamming, that is(because of Seperior's DW ability and whatnot that reverses stat changes and what have you). But still, if you're really aiming for a grass type. I'd say go for something like Whimsicott, then. I would suggest Lilligant but...I dunno if Quiver Dancing is more or less your thing, plus it might serve an entirely different purpose anyway. D:

I'd prefer to stick to Leech Seeding over Quiver Dancing. My problem with Whimsicott is, again, survivability. I know it's a SubSeeder, but I can't seem to get into SubSeeder rhythm. I battled a cheater/hacker once :'( who used a SubSeed Whimsicott that had Sleep Powder as opposed to Toxic (Which I originally thought was a legit move for it). As you can Imagine, it totally decapitated Serperior and Zoroark and left Milotic to just barely defeat it. So then it was low HP Milotic against Half HP Mienshao (and another totally healthy pokemon that he didn't have to send out). Even though Whimsicott doesn't get Sleep Powder,
I know people SubSeed with it legitimately. Please advise on SubSeeding.
I also might look into Screening, thank you.

---
Quote:
You could make Gengar hold specs if you so choose, I personally think it would do a whole lot of damage that way(except it kinda gets completely walled by blissey) or you could go completely offensive and make it hold focus sash. Reason being that Gengar isn't the most bulky thing out there, and its kinda frail, so yeah.

I do have other ways of dealing with Blissey (namely Breloom and Emboar [But I don't often use Emboar, because she is slow and KOed pretty fast]), but I still like the Focus Sash idea for setting up destiny bond (because Gengar outruns a lot of his tier). So I will put the Focus Sash on him. The usual counters I see for my Gengar are Weaviles (Faster, STAB supereffective Night Slash KOes so that I can't get in a Focus Blast).

---
As for Serperior or Whimsicott (My new Serperior set would probably be Serperior @ Light Clay: Light Screen/Reflect/Leaf Blade/Leech Seed), I still need some help deciding.

[/FONT]

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Breloom seriously needs Spore (you didn't keep Shroomish the way it was until level 45, didn't you?):
-Spore
-Seed Bomb
-Mach Punch/Sky Uppercut
-Facade/Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb

Snorelacks

Breloom seriously needs Spore (you didn't keep Shroomish the way it was until level 45, didn't you?):
-Spore
-Seed Bomb
-Mach Punch/Sky Uppercut
-Facade/Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb

Yeah, I raised it in Platinum and was just worried about adding Breloom to my Dex. I've already EVd this one, but you're right. It needs Spore. I guess I'll breed a new one with Poison Heal.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2020
Whimscott is a Good Choice.I have it on My team and Its ability,Prankster,makes it one of the best Subseeders around.
Whimscott @ Leftovers
-Substitute (Once winter comes,you know you can change the time using your DS?)
-Leach Seed*
-Encore (Breeding with something like clafairy)
-Taunt/U turn

Oh,and Why not give Milotic Scald?Its It a Nice STAB move of It and has a nice chance of burning,and that lowers your opponents attack.

Yes,I'm SUCH a bad Speller.

Snorelacks

Whimscott is a Good Choice.I have it on My team and Its ability,Prankster,makes it one of the best Subseeders around.
Whimscott @ Leftovers
-Substitute (Once winter comes,you know you can change the time using your DS?)
-Leach Seed*
-Encore (Breeding with something like clafairy)
-Taunt/U turn

Oh,and Why not give Milotic Scald?Its It a Nice STAB move of It and has a nice chance of burning,and that lowers your opponents attack.

First of all, why is time and season relevant to substitute?

I prefer surf for base power. Also, you never see anything using scald if it has the option to get surf (which is too bad, because my early-game Basculin made good use of it until he got access to dive).

I like the Whimsicott set, I'll try it out.

One more thing that's kind of off-topic: Why can't you put Pokemon with HMs through Poke-transfer?

Years
Breloom has a new Dream World ability, technician, that gives Mach Punch a slight boost.

If you're still worried about Serperior, try this:

Coil
Iron Tail (egg move. Breed with something from 4th gen)
Leaf Blade
Leech Seed

Spam coil after using Leech Seed. This saved my team late in the game vs. Iris and her dragons. It may not work for every situation, but physical attacks won't hurt as much outside of Brave Bird, and Iron Tail gives Ice Types something to think about. It absolutely won't miss after a few turns of coil.

Snorelacks

Breloom has a new Dream World ability, technician, that gives Mach Punch a slight boost.

If you're still worried about Serperior, try this:

Coil
Iron Tail (egg move. Breed with something from 4th gen)
Leaf Blade
Leech Seed

Spam coil after using Leech Seed. This saved my team late in the game vs. Iris and her dragons. It may not work for every situation, but physical attacks won't hurt as much outside of Brave Bird, and Iron Tail gives Ice Types something to think about. It absolutely won't miss after a few turns of coil.

A question about Technician (not for Breloom, but for a Scizor I have): Do STAB and Technician stack (Would Bullet Punch have 80 or 90 power with STAB and Technician)?

You use Iron Tail just for ices? Does it look to you like the rest of my team has a problem with dealing with ices?

I prefer Poison Heal infinitely to Technician. Both Pokemon that get it can use it extremely well (Gliscor better than Breloom, due to bulk, but still).

Thanks for your suggestions, but I kind of prefer quick Dual-Screening for Serperior and Poison Healing for Breloom.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
This is my single battle team.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Facade / Stone Edge
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch / Superpower / Sky Uppercut

This set is the one you were looking for. Spore puts the opponent to sleep and then let's you go wild with amazingly strong attacks, Facade gets a boost from the Poison and becomes amazingly strong, Seed Bomb is a solid STAB attack and Mach Punch is a nice STAB priority attack. Superpower gives you a huge STAB which could possibly OHKO anything, but lowers your attack and defense one stage and lacks priority. Sky uppercut is the in-between move, lacking priority but also doesn't lower your stats. I prefer Mach Punch. Stone edge is for your fliers.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

With Gengar's amazingly high speed you can set-up substitute and prevent a status effect, like T-Wave or Spore, then counter with a super powered Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Hp Fire. Hp Fire can hit Pokemon like Bronzong and Skarmory whilst Thunderbolt hits bulky water types like Vaporeon, Gyarados and Suicune. You can go for a leftovers over Life Orb to help heal of substitute costs.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 76 Atk / 96 Def / 180 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt

If you're looking for a bulky water who can wall and fight right back with a crap load of power, look no further than Gyarados. If switched in on a Physical sweeper, intimidate lowers it's attack by 1 making it difficult for Gyarados to be taken down, after a +1 in speed and attack Gyarados can then proceed to sweep with two STAB attacks, which covers quite a lot, Taunt shuts down Blissey/Chansey/Ferrothorn/Forretress etc... making their only attacks useless (Gyro Ball, Power Whip, Flamethrower)

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute / U-Turn
- Stun Spore / Taunt

Serperior sucks without it's DW ability, and even with it then it can only spam Leaf Storm for a +6. Whimsicott is an excellent SubSeeder, having priority on everyone of it's moves, Taunt can halt other status moves and U-Turn can be used to scout. Encore is a great move, especially if the opponent had just used Stealth Rock or something, trapping it and forcing it to pop out those rocks can be helpful to set-up.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave / Taunt / Focus Blast

If you're looking for an electric type that can fight look no further than this powerhouse, being the top electric type of generation V. Having priority Nasty Plot and Taunt/Thunder Wave is a gift. Thunder Wave can cripple a sweeper, whilst Taunt can cripple a wall. After just +2 with Nasty Plot and sweep, Thunderbolt damages anything that isn't named Ferrothorn and Hp Ice takes care of everything else. Focus Blast is needed for Ferrothorn, but a +4 Hp Ice can 2HKO it. Focus Blast can also cripple Tyranitar.

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
- Low Sweep

SD Zoroark is a power foe. Aerial Ace is useless tbh. Low Sweep can deal with Tyranitar and the likes, U-Turn is for the scouting that you wanted and Sucker Punch gives you useful priority if played right. Pokemon that rely on power to be used can be surprised by Sucker Punch, Gengar, Thundurus, Deoxys (S) etc... are very frail attackers, who won't waist time setting up on Zoroark and just attack. Sucker Punch will OHKO Gengar, maybe 2HKO a substitute set with more Hp. Thundurus will take a huge chunk of damage from it as will Deoxys, if SD has been used most likely they'll all be OHKO'd.

My suggestions are in bold. Take them into account! :3 Also, Scrafty; TechLoom isn't released (Technician Breloom) Also, yes, Bullet Punch Scizor with Technician will get the STAB along with the boost.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Zoroark isn't good as a physical attacker, since its physical movepool is rather shallow. What's the point of investing in Special Attack and using Naive when it isn't running Special Attacks?:
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse/Night Daze
-Focus Blast
-Flamethrower
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Also, put Zoroark somewhere in the middle in the team, since Illusion won't activate if it's in the last slot.

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, I raised it in Platinum and was just worried about adding Breloom to my Dex. I've already EVd this one, but you're right. It needs Spore. I guess I'll breed a new one (Hopefully this one will be Adamant natured, currently she's serious natured) with Poison Heal.
Thank you!

if you are going with spore, why not use the substitute attacking set?

Breloom @Toxic orb
Adamant
Poison Heal
252ATk/252Spe/4Hp

Spore
Substitute
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb

Snorelacks

if you are going with spore, why not use the substitute attacking set?

Breloom @Toxic orb
Adamant
Poison Heal
252ATk/252Spe/4Hp

Spore
Substitute
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb

What do you mean, "if you are going with spore"? EVERY Breloom set has spore. I recently found out that my Breloom might be flawless (or at least, it definitely has 31 IVs in Attack). But, back to the subject, I prefer Mach Punch/Stone Edge over a SubPuncher (I labeled it a Physical Attacker, not a SubPuncher).

Zoroark isn't good as a physical attacker, since its physical movepool is rather shallow. What's the point of investing in Special Attack and using Naive when it isn't running Special Attacks?:
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse/Night Daze
-Focus Blast
-Flamethrower
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Also, put Zoroark somewhere in the middle in the team, since Illusion won't activate if it's in the last slot.

I wasn't actually putting Zoroark at the back of the team. I forgot to do it in the right order. But, Zoroark has recently been replaced, so... yeah.

My suggestions are in bold. Take them into account! :3 Also, Scrafty; TechLoom isn't released (Technician Breloom) Also, yes, Bullet Punch Scizor with Technician will get the STAB along with the boost.

Thanks for the Technician stuff... I still don't know whether it has 90 or 80 base power...

I'm sorry, but when I said I wanted revisions, I didn't mean a complete and total team overhaul! Thank you dearly for your suggestions, but I am keeping the Pokemon I have unless I choose to replace them (I might put in Whimsicott for Serperior, anyway, though).

So, apparently, I didn't make myself clear. I want these Pokemon to be as best as they can be. I want to win with my favorites. I still will probably replace Serperior for Whimsicott, so thank you.

Again, I appreciate anyone trying to help me or make suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back