• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Item Creation in FireRed: Step by Step, From Start to Finish

Years
convert 34 to decimal, so u should get 52 subtract 13, to get 39, multiply by 4 to get 156, convert to hex to get 9C, add that to 0x2528BC, and get 0x252958, go to that offset, the first four digits from that offset should be 00 00 00 00 (assuming ur using a blank space)

not sure if the math is right, so u'd have to check it.

An offset specifies only 1 byte. since ur hex editor displays 16 bytes per row, add the hex number of the row to the hex number of the column, thats the offset of the byte ur on. u'd start from the byte that gets highlighted when u use the goto function.

Last edited:

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
convert 34 to decimal, so u should get 52 subtract 13, to get 39, multiply by 4 to get 156, convert to hex to get 9C, add that to 0x2528BC, and get 0x252958, go to that offset, the first four digits from that offset should be 00 00 00 00 (assuming ur using a blank space)

not sure if the math is right, so u'd have to check it.

An offset specifies only 1 byte. since ur hex editor displays 16 bytes per row, add the hex number of the row to the hex number of the column, thats the offset of the byte ur on. u'd start from the byte that gets highlighted when u use the goto function.

Thanks, somehow I completely spaced and forgot that the 34 was already a hex value. Tested and everything works as it should.

Last edited:

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
Ok, I see what I did wrong, I was using a diferent item editer that already made the index numbers decimal. I'll try again and see if it'll work for me this time.

It worked! I'm so happy right now!

Ok, this is weird, I did the same thing again and it didn't work, I'm so confused.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Evolution stones are trivially easy to make, and they do not require any sort of script.

Fantastic post, but they are only trivially easy to make if they act like the "old" evolution stones. That is, the ones already in the game.

If you want to create the function of the Dawn Stone, for example, you require extra code to deal with the male/female only aspect of it.

Is there a way to actually add a function to the item for example the item should make the pokemon heal 90HP?

Using Item editor, create a clone item of a Potion. Make sure it looks like this:

ItemEd.png

(The reason I have ?'s is that I haven't actually saved the item to my ROM, the index I'm using happens to be 72, change it to whatever your item's index is). Obviously, you can have the price, name, and pictures be whatever you desire.

Now, on your cloned item, the "Special" values should be 00 and 20, correct?

That 20 stands for how much HP it recovers! So if you change that to 90, it will recover 90 HP. Easy huh?
(Note, I haven't actually tested it, but it should work in theory).

Last edited:
Years
Fantastic post, but they are only trivially easy to make if they act like the "old" evolution stones. That is, the ones already in the game.

If you want to create the function of the Dawn Stone, for example, you require extra code to deal with the male/female only aspect of it.

Using Item editor, create a clone item of a Potion. Make sure it looks like this:

ItemEd.png

(The reason I have ?'s is that I haven't actually saved the item to my ROM, the index I'm using happens to be 72, change it to whatever your item's index is). Obviously, you can have the price, name, and pictures be whatever you desire.

Now, on your cloned item, the "Special" values should be 00 and 20, correct?

That 20 stands for how much HP it recovers! So if you change that to 90, it will recover 90 HP. Easy huh?
(Note, I haven't actually tested it, but it should work in theory).

Oh thanks, but is there a way to create an item that boosts stats if held.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Oh thanks, but is there a way to create an item that boosts stats if held.
Look for an item that already does that, and see if it has special values that work like those found on Potions. If so, then the Potion trick should work; if not, then you'll probably need ASM or something.

Kieran_90

That guy that you think you remember
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2015
Is there an alternative to NSE that I can use? I just did everything up to opening it, and my computer can't run it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Great tutorial, though I'm haveing one recurring problem.

Everything works great, I get my item image, name and price working and in place, and the index number (I think I even got my new evolutionary stones working though I've not tested this yet due to being between 3 computers) however, when I change my description pointer it seems to work fine but the first ?????? and masterballs names get changed to parts of my new description.

When I reload my game (in either version of item edtor) it brings up a 308 error and crashes meaning I can't add the rest of my item descriptions, I haven't had chance to test if the first ?????? and masterball work properly in-game yet due to a-mart not working on this computer.

Any ideas on fixing this?

EDIT: solved my probelm, it would seem Item Editor doesn't support repointing descriptions on ????? items as changing to item manager resolved the issue.

How do make a item act like a pokeball?

All pokeballs use the same battle usage number and the same battle usage pointer. Have you tried following the pointer and recreating a pokeball from the data held in there? (though i think i read somewhere that creating a pokeball would require ASM hacking knowledge)

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I can make evolutionary stones with this
thanks

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
A couple questions about the evolution stones. I'm new to hex editing, and when I search for the offset, it doesn't find it. I'm making an evolution stone, and I figured it would make sense to use the ????? after leaf stone. It's 63, in dec, it's 99. subtract 13, and I have 86. multiply by 4 and I have 344. Converting to hex I have 158. Adding that to the offset, I have 252A14. When I open hex workshop, I click edit -> find and I type in the offset 252A14. It says it cannot be found. When I right click the info and go to "goto" and type it in, it brings me to what seems to be a random spot. When I type the digits into that spot, it has no effect. Could someone explain hex workshop, or maybe lead me to a better one? Thanks!

edit - got it. thanks!

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Alright so I created my item but I am having a problem.

I don't want this item to be able to be used, or to be tossed or to be given to a pokemon. It's an important item and you need to collect 20 of them in the game. Is there a way to make the item so the player can't throw them away?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 27, 2016
sorry to reopen the post, i find this very useful, but for some reason the pointer of the bag, after use the custom item, goes to some place far away from the custom item, i don't know what i'm doing wrong, is there some way to fix it?
if you need mor explain, well, the pointer to the item which i want to use just disappears.
when i move the arrows up it appears again, but with some bugs, i follow, and many times, the steps of this tutorial, please help me.

Huy567

The Shadow Feather
Years
Uhm..is there a way to make a custom item that has more than one effect? like arceus's plates or giratina's griseous orb. I'm trying to recreate those items in pokemon firered for my hack in progress and i have no idea how to make an item that changes type. As for forme, the only instance i can think of is castforme, but it changes according to weather.

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
Uhm..is there a way to make a custom item that has more than one effect? like arceus's plates or giratina's griseous orb. I'm trying to recreate those items in pokemon firered for my hack in progress and i have no idea how to make an item that changes type. As for forme, the only instance i can think of is castforme, but it changes according to weather.

That requires ASM. I've got some code that will change a poke's index number when it's holding certain items, but I still need to document and post it.

Back